What is your favorite war movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite war movie?

My favorite has to be Full Metal Jacket. The first 30 minutes of the movie with Drill Instructor Hartmann and Pvt. Pyle was friggin' hilarious. I still laugh every time I see it (over 50 atleast).

Saving Private Ryan is another one.

Braveheart, Patriot and a bit of "We were soldiers". Not so much so the movies themselves but the Gibson characters.

Saving Pvt Ryan's probably the best one made. But we don't get to know much about Tom Hanks' character.

Comment

Well, it was on TV, but Band of Brothers

Comment

Even though I am not a huge Nicholas Cage fan - my favorite is Windtalkers by far.
        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Very difficult to answer.

Longest Day, Patton, Battle of the River Plate, Few Good Men, Armistaad, Bridge on the River Kwai are those which have left an impression on me.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

the dam busters and the first half of saving private ryan as well as most of the above, esp battle of the river plate
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Black Hawk Down, The Lost Battalion, Hamburger Hill, Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers are all good. Full Metal Jacket would have made the list if the second half wasn't so weak compared to the first half.

Comment

a bridge too far and battle of britain.

and Zulu, obviously...
                before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

also King Rat? and The Great Escape...
                  and Das Boot.
                  Last edited by Parihaka; 06 Aug 05,, 07:27.
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Tora!Tora!Tora!, Hunt for Red October (alright not a war movie), Midway, the longest day, Battle of River Plate, A Bridge Too far, In which we serve, Gettysburg.
                    "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Breaker Morant, Zulu, Blackhawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, I just rented Tae Guk Ji and it was pretty good too.
                      Rule 303

Comment

Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Band Of Brothers, The Guns Of Navarone, The Big Red 1, The Beast.

Comment

Saving Private Ryan, Band Of Brothers, The Beast, Conspiracy, Black Hawk Down, Master and Commander, probably missing a few.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Today... is Christmas! There will be a magic show at zero-nine-thirty! Chaplain Charlie will tell you about how the free world will conquer Communism with the aid of God and a few marines! God has a hard-on for marines because we kill everything we see! He plays His games, we play ours! To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep heaven packed with fresh souls! God was here before the Marine Corps! So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?

I love Full Metal Jacket

Comment

Originally posted by Semper Fi
                              I love Full Metal Jacket
                              How could I forget that one??

R. Lee Ermey is definitely the Man!

I just started watching Band of Brothers again. I didnt see the last couple of episodes when it came out, so this will be a treat to see them all within a few days.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X