FM 22-5 Drill & Ceremonies Obama Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    Sir, they don't. Nor do they say stuff like 'Jai Hind'. When lower ranked ex-defense personal get a job with private entities, they do make sure company protocols are followed. I was hounded a couple of times for forgetting my company ID card, never did they salute me or chant 'Jai Hind'. And I'm in the industry for over 13 years. These guys are professionals, they would not waste a salute for mongrels like me nor would for SB. Why lie sooooooo much?
    I don't know about the salutes. If it is a military to non-military exchange of courtesies, AND they are retired, AND not in uniform, I find it rather weird.
    The "Jai Hind" on the other hand doesn't seem to be a solely military thing?

It depends on where Sated Buddha is working, what he is working as, and in what capacity. I wouldn't call him out so fast.

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
      I get saluted entering bases in the US, and I'm retired. I say, "Thank you, and have a good day," and move on.

The thing is, I went from this:

To this:

And my hair is even longer than that now. It occasionally causes gate guards, etc. to do a double take when looking at my ID card, and then me, and back again. I've even had them ask me questions about my business on base. I had a US Border Patrol Agent at one of their highway checkpoints here in Arizona ask me why "Jerry Garcia was driving a car with a 'Colonel's' sticker on the windshield?" ("Captain", "Colonel", it's all the same) We both had a good laugh over that when I told him I was Jerry reincarnated, and if he had a guitar available, I'd show him. Why do I have long hair? Because I can.:tankie:
      Defence base is not what I was talking about, Sir. I was talking about civilian life. :)
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]38110[/ATTACH]

*sighs*
        On one occassion, I had soldiers salute me and shout something when I accompanied my father who was a retired Captain to visit his long time friend who became a two star general at his compound. I was startled and didn't hear what they said but I nodded and waved with a thumbs up. Nothing to it. Just courtesy.

Don't make it out to be anything more than it has to be.
        Read the damn post again before putting a counter argument. Civilian life was what I was talking about. Ofcourse your dad would get a salute on a 2 star general's compound. Out of that? Maybe! Maybe never.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
          I don't know about the salutes. If it is a military to non-military exchange of courtesies, AND they are retired, AND not in uniform, I find it rather weird.
          It is weird and untrue.

Some people try to portray us Indians to be more patriotic, but anything. I wish people 'Good Morning', when I meet them in the morning.

It depends on where Sated Buddha is working, what he is working as, and in what capacity. I wouldn't call him out so fast.
          He works in a beedi company. He's been called out many times before.

Comment

He works in a beedi company. He's been called out many times before.
            Where? I've never noticed anything. Btw I notice you called me "sir" in an earlier post - no need for that, I've been out of the military for quite a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              Shake their hands and say thank you for your service.
              I will.

In a lot of ways, we have unconsciously become very British in our ways. Especially the old economy brick and mortar corporates .....

Thank you for reminding me.

Comment

I find it interesting that ex servicemen salute. Are they in uniform?
                Yes, they are in uniform. Just not their OG's anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                  Why do I have long hair? Because I can.:tankie:
                  Sir, that's every bit a 300 kilo bench-pressing rockstar.

May I also suggest a very tastefully restored 1945 Indian Chief to complete the picture. After a lifetime pitching up and down on the water, some nice two wheeled RnR is called for on your lovely roads.

Comment

Jai Hind is not necessarily military only. In Delhi for example, in South Block, its the de rigeur salutation, as in most Hindi speaking government circles. Here, we add the regional Jai Maharashtra as the suffix to the Jai Hind.

So Jai Hind just rolls comfortably off a true Indian's tongue, be he military or civilian. Its said eye to eye, with pride, with honor.

You are right. Its the salutes that floor me. I instinctively know I cannot / should not salute back (our civilian politicians do on flag hoisting and parade occasions though .....). Hence was asking. An yes, they are all ex army. Not paramilitary, BSF, etc.

Normally the norm here, otherwise, when not wearing the beret, and driving a car or riding a bike, is to stiffen your arms (and back) in acknowledgment.
                    Last edited by sated buddha; 01 Oct 14,, 14:14.

Comment

A formal salute or just tipping the forehead? A formal salute requires you keeping the hand position until a return salute is given.
                      Chimo

Comment

Defence base is not what I was talking about, Sir. I was talking about civilian life. :)
                        Ah, that was not clear to me. No, no one would ever know who I was out in the world.

Comment

A formal salute or just tipping the forehead? A formal salute requires you keeping the hand position until a return salute is given.
                          Sir it is a full on, elaborate, stiffening salute. If they (the officers behind the glass cabin versus the standing sentries) are sitting, they stand and do the same.

I am the one who dips my head and replies to their Jai Hind with a similar Jai Hind. Or accompanied by a hand wave.

Comment

double

Comment

Here's the rule

755. Saluting by JCOs, WOs, NCOs & OR.— (a) JCOs, WOs, NCOs and men will salute all commissioned officers whom they know to be such, whether in uniform or not, including officers of the Indian Navy, Indian Air Force and officers of the Territorial Army and the National Cadet Corps when in uniform. JCOs, WOs, NCOs and men will salute with the right hand. Where from physical incapacity a right hand salute is impossible, the salute will be given with the left hand.
                              Sounds like they saluting you was a case of "to be safe than sorry." Too many military/former military in civie clothing.
                              Chimo

Comment

Here's the rule

Sounds like they saluting you was a case of "to be safe than sorry." Too many military/former military in civie clothing.
                                Sir me and some of the saluting ex soldiers have been in the same place 10 years now.

Comment

Working...
                                X