Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people lie about their military service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Repatriated Canuck View Post
    Ha Desertstwo, I got a thank you in California in a gay bar of all places. I said dont thank me I was just a reservist. He was dead serious too and repeated it. Did I mention he was the stripper? Threw me big time and I went red.

In my defence the wife wanted to go in to see naked dudes and I take her to the peelers so fair is fair. I got some free drinks too!

Score.
    Naked guys notwithstanding, Fleet Week in San Francisco is a "get your drinks for free" episode not to be believed. Wear whites (like my avatar) out in town, and one never need remove wallet from pocket. I did it twice, roughly ten years apart and it was the same both times. Great city, but it can get a bit old after a while. I just don't understand how working people can afford to live there.
    Last edited by desertswo; 18 Nov 14,, 06:27.

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
      \

Actually, I rather doubt you'd find any military professionals here who would have a problem with not being "idolized." I'll give you an example; when people learn that I am a retired officer these days, they come up with this almost Pavlovian response by saying, "Thank you for your service." That is a relatively recent phenomenon, and certainly not something that occurred routinely in my 25 years of active duty. I'm 58, so I remember when we weren't too popular, and more to the point were often the butt of jokes and stereotypes at our expense, so being thanked does beat that. However, I really don't know how to respond, which just ends up making me feel uncomfortable, even though I know they mean well. The God's honest truth is that with a few exceptions and rough times we all have "on the job," I really had a hell of a good time, and while I wouldn't have done it for free, I probably would have taken less every month for the pleasure.
      I know how you feel, Captain. When I show my VA card to get the military discount at Home Depot or Lowes (nice deal BTW), invariably the cashier will thank me for my service. It's a little embarrassing since back when I joined the Navy Reserve at age 17 it was to fulfill a military obligation and avoid being drafted by the Army, not out any great desire to serve. A couple of years later, I did my two years active and was separated. I don't feel too bad being thanked since I did get called up for a year during the Cuban Missile Crisis, part of which time was pleasantly spent at GITMO in high season.

Years later I went to work at the Pentagon as a civilian. It was just after Reagan took office (1981). I had a hard time telling civilians apart from military because many of the latter wore civies to work, being that public attitudes toward servicemen were still negative, a legacy of opposition to Vietnam. One of the first things Reagan did was praise the military. It wasn't long before uniforms began showing up in profusion.

I am little worried that we may see a backlash against service folks with all the corporations and organizations taking advantage of the good vibes about vets to boost their image with vet programs and so forth, not that I am against them, but crowing about them on the air gets tiring for listeners, especially people who have their own problems unrelated to military service.
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

It is a bit awkward. I knew many people in the service who were decent, sometimes incredible folks. But I also knew people who were f--ktards and not worth the breath to yell at them. My own service was pretty modest. 7 years enlisted, E-6. Mostly cold war stuff, anti-drug patrols. We did take the Roberts' place when she struck the mine in the Arabian Gulf. (and since we inchopped the Vincennes when we exited the area, I have to agree with Desertswo's expert assessment - they were looking to have some "adventures" before they were even done transiting the Straits.) Never any heroics- just work. So it's weird having people thank you. People do the same thing when they see that I am a firefighter as well. I've never rescued anyone from a fire. But I think people are trying to overcompensate for the thanklessness and abuse of the military in the 70's and early 80's and also for the vapid celebrity worship of the current era by trying to elevate people that they think deserve it. And I'll take that any day over abuse. In 1989 when I separated, on some of the job interviews that I went to, the interviewer told me that they didn't like to hire veterans because they thought that military people were too "robotic". The answer I had for him was too long for it to be worth my while to tell him. I kind of wish now though that I had given him some choice words- the summary version, I suppose.
        As for lying or exaggerating- I had a friend while I was in BE/E at GLAKES and he had an amazing gift of prestidigitation. Card tricks, make things appear from thin air, disappear, change, etc. We would go to bars in Wisconsin (my being 18 at the time) and tell girls that we were part of a secret Navy unit that used telekineseis, psychic abilites, paranormal stuff while Munchie (my friend) would do his tricks. Seems kinda dumb but girls loved it and we woke up in many a strange house without remembering how we got there. 'Course, it was Wisconsin...

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
          Naked guys notwithstanding, Fleet Week in San Francisco is a "get your drinks for free" episode not to be believed. Wear whites (like my avatar) out in town, and one never need remove wallet from pocket. I did it twice, roughly ten years apart and it was the same both times. Great city, but it can get a bit old after a while. I just don't understand how working people can afford to live there.
          Vancouver is like that too cost wise. I live in Mission now quite far from the city. I have axles in my driveway and no one is whining about my redneck lawn art. Frame in the backyard too. Cant wait to rebuild my old Yota.
          Originally posted by GVChamp
          College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Vancouver is like that too cost wise. I live in Mission now quite far from the city. I have axles in my driveway and no one is whining about my redneck lawn art. Frame in the backyard too. Cant wait to rebuild my old Yota.
            I know. Been there many times; three times with ships. The last time was in 1989, just after the Loma Prieto Earthquake that knocked San Francisco flat. We were there at Treasure Island for that little bit of fun and games too, but anyway, we headed north to Vancouver and my wife, as did many others, flew up there to meet us. She got a room in a fairly nice hotel in West Vancouver. It was only after I arrived to meet her there that I noticed all of the friendly gentlemen out on the street. When I told her she told me I was full of fecal matter . . . until we walked to a Chinese restaurant down the street. Her eyes were opened to say the least. I thought it was hilarious myself.

Comment

A yes back then Yaletown was where the man whores where. Now on Davie street is the gay area. Rainbow paint for thee crosswalk. Honestly, I like it. You never hear about gay bashing anymore. Anything that stomps out hate is good in my books. Plus I never turn down a free drink.
              Originally posted by GVChamp
              College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

A yes back then Yaletown was where the man whores where. Now on Davie street is the gay area. Rainbow paint for thee crosswalk. Honestly, I like it. You never hear about gay bashing anymore. Anything that stomps out hate is good in my books. Plus I never turn down a free drink.
                Does anyone know if OOE visited to see the SWWNBN impersonators there?

:scared:
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  Does anyone know if OOE visited to see the SWWNBN impersonators there?

:scared:
                  How do you know they have SWWNBN impersonators?:whome:

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                    How do you know they have SWWNBN impersonators?:whome:
                    A Gyrene told me.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

As for the "Thank you for your service"

Because I am dedicated (I mean addicted) to my ship (mine cause I have adopted it as my last duty station) I am constantly wearing my ball cap. Now, these can be bought anywhere and for any ship or service for that matter. Non-vets or military are wearing them all the time! Since most do not know me, it is the Navy cap that brings the greeting. That and probably the gray hair under it!
                      I only signed one contract for one hitch. I was lucky, in that I never deployed to Nam! But, a lot of my brethren did. So now when I am attacked with that wish, I have developed this reply.
                      "Thank you, I accept that on behalf of my shipmates that truly deserve the thanks, those that sacrificed!""I on the other hand only benefited from my time in!"

Comment

A Gyrene told me.
                        As long as its a marine corps guy and not an engineer told you you should be ok :whome:

Comment

A Gyrene told me.
                          Eating burgers in Knoxville? What else did the guy at the counter clue you in on?

Gyrene Burger Company - Great Burgers Are Standard Issue

Comment

Man Suspected of Falsely Posing as a Decorated Veteran in Mall

A Pennsylvania man might face federal charges of impersonation after being seen in a video dressed as a decorated veteran when a real veteran challenged him in a mall.

Sean Yetman, who claimed to be an Army Ranger, was confronted by former infantryman and Purple Heart recipient Ryan Berk, an exchange that was caught on camera. Berk said he suspects Yetman was using the uniform to get discounts while shopping on Black Friday at Oxford Valley Mall outside of Philadelphia.

“Where is your combat patch at?” Berk asked Yetman, in a video that has received more than 2.5 million views online.

“I gave it to a little kid,” Yetman said.

“Why is your flag so low on your shoulder?” Berk asked. “It should be up here,” he said, pointing.

“You got me on that one, bud.”

In the video, Berk calls attention to the uniform’s Combat Infantry badges, undershirt and boots, as well as the man’s declaration that he completed basic training at Fort Jackson.

Soldier impersonation cases are so common that veterans pushed for the Stolen Valor Act of 2013, which makes it a federal crime for someone to present themselves as a decorated military member “with the intent to obtain money, property or other tangible benefit.”

Pennsylvania Congressman Mike Fitzpatrick asked the U.S. Attorney in Philadelphia to consider whether Yetman should face federal charges.

In the video, Yetman insisted to Berk that he’s the real deal.

“If I was a phony, then I wouldn’t be wearing this uniform,” Yetman told Berk.

Attempts to reach Yetman for comment were not successful.

For Berk, the situation takes away from the efforts of his fellow service members.

“It’s frustrating, because you serve with good men who have either lost their loves or been seriously wounded who earned that uniform,” he said. Link
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Going to throw my 2 cents in. I think that people lie about being in the military because the military is put on a pedestal here in the US. In my opinion, the military is often glorified in media such as movies or video games. Impostors might want to be viewed as a bad ass or having something that not many other people will have. They may want to say they have military experience so others can look up to them for leadership or advice. Ultimately people are different and may have drastically different reasons for making false claims about service. I understand why it is a touchy subject and people who lie about their service (or lack thereof ) should face the legal consequences for their actions. It is especially disgraceful to do it during a time of war when so many men and women have made the ultimate sacrifice for this country.

Comment

Originally posted by dan m View Post
                                Going to throw my 2 cents in. I think that people lie about being in the military because the military is put on a pedestal here in the US. In my opinion, the military is often glorified in media such as movies or video games. Impostors might want to be viewed as a bad ass or having something that not many other people will have. They may want to say they have military experience so others can look up to them for leadership or advice. Ultimately people are different and may have drastically different reasons for making false claims about service. I understand why it is a touchy subject and people who lie about their service (or lack thereof ) should face the legal consequences for their actions. It is especially disgraceful to do it during a time of war when so many men and women have made the ultimate sacrifice for this country.
                                Or this turd just wanted discounts.
                                "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

Working...
                                X