Clear All

• Dreadnought
    replied
    R.I.P. Stormin Norman!

Leave a comment:

• blidgepump
    replied
    A Winning General.....

It the course of written history there has never been a "Winning General" that did not yeild to political considerations.
    Even though the "political considerations" may of been his own making rather than the traditional and much analized & frequent "outside political influences".

Winning Generals are much appreciated and their flag posted on the hill takes no seconds.... RIP Sir!

Leave a comment:

• Blademaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Chogy View Post
    His temper was apparently legendary. I'd rather have him chewing some ass, than tolerating mediocrity.

It is correct that at his level of command he'd chew on officers, not enlisted, given that ultimately it is the officers' responsibility to maintain their troops at the highest level.
    I think that if Norman was the current CinC-Central at the time of the Iraq War, he would have told Donald Rumsfeld to f-ck himself and proceed to fight the way he thinks it should be fought. And Donald would piss in his pants.

Leave a comment:

• Albany Rifles
    replied
    Originally posted by cataphract View Post
    Why Persian?
    Because our mission was to counter a Soviet thrust towards the Iran towards the Gulf. So all of our warplans involved either Iran or Turkey.

Leave a comment:

• tankie
    replied
    RIP Stormin .
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chogy
    replied
    His temper was apparently legendary. I'd rather have him chewing some ass, than tolerating mediocrity.

It is correct that at his level of command he'd chew on officers, not enlisted, given that ultimately it is the officers' responsibility to maintain their troops at the highest level.

Leave a comment:

• JAD_333
    replied
    The enlisted personnel who served under him loved him. Storming Norman chewed out many an officer but never an enlisted person. He made sure the latter were well cared for. RIP, General.

Leave a comment:

• S2
    replied
    cataphract Reply

"Why Persian? "

24th Infantry Division (Mech) was the heavy component to 18th Airborne Corps. As such they had rapid deployment responsibilities during the cold war and immediately thereafter. One of our prime mission scenarios was a strike by Soviet Forces through Iran to the Indian Ocean. 24th Mech would have been the heavy augmentation to any Gulf deployment and, in fact, were exactly that in 1990.

Except to the side of the gulf speaking arabic.

Thought he might have rode Fred Franks a bit too hard in DESERT STORM. That said, Schwarzkopf was iconic to my generation of soldiers. His passing is regretted here. Present Arms!

Leave a comment:

• cataphract
    replied
    Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    RIP, General

I had the "honor" of getting my ass reamed by him in spring 1985. I was a new captain right out of IOAC and was assigned to as an S3 Air in a mech infantry battalion in the 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized). Schwarzkopf was the division CG. Three weeks after I had been assigned we had our biannual IG inspection. It was a week long and the penultimate event was a briefing to the CG and division G3 on our part on one of the division OP PLANs. As S3 Air I had to conduct part of the brief. I figured no big deal as I had done one of these about a year prior in Germany in my previous unit in the same duty position. There was a slight problem....previously all of the geographic features were in German...now they were in Persian! And I mangled the pronounciations, badly.

That is the day I learned what a volcanic temper looks like.

Had those names down pat within about a week after that.

That was matched about 4 years later as I was now on division staff and in a brief I got my ass chewed by the FORSCOM commander....GEN Colin Powell. That's another story.
    Why Persian?

Leave a comment:

• cataphract
    replied
    How did this not make it to the headlines?! RIP sir!

Leave a comment:

• sourkraut115
    replied
    RIP, sir.

Leave a comment:

• Albany Rifles
    replied
    RIP, General

I had the "honor" of getting my ass reamed by him in spring 1985. I was a new captain right out of IOAC and was assigned to as an S3 Air in a mech infantry battalion in the 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized). Schwarzkopf was the division CG. Three weeks after I had been assigned we had our biannual IG inspection. It was a week long and the penultimate event was a briefing to the CG and division G3 on our part on one of the division OP PLANs. As S3 Air I had to conduct part of the brief. I figured no big deal as I had done one of these about a year prior in Germany in my previous unit in the same duty position. There was a slight problem....previously all of the geographic features were in German...now they were in Persian! And I mangled the pronounciations, badly.

That is the day I learned what a volcanic temper looks like.

Had those names down pat within about a week after that.

That was matched about 4 years later as I was now on division staff and in a brief I got my ass chewed by the FORSCOM commander....GEN Colin Powell. That's another story.

Leave a comment:

• Chogy
    replied
    We can second-guess GW1 forever, but by all accounts, he did a fine job. The coalition casualties were remarkably low.

RIP General.

Leave a comment:

• Blademaster
    replied
    RIP

He did execute the war with excellence but in hindsight, it would be a cakewalk for any other general because Saddam Hussein and his generals were incompetent strategic planners. Gave all the time that the Coalition needed to beat the crap out of Saddam and his forces. If Saddam had pressed on and taken the ports in Saudi Arabia and negotiated for a withdrawal in exchange for keeping Kuwait, the Coalition would not have a staging base and would be forced to cede to Saddam Hussein's demands.

Leave a comment:

• zraver
    replied
    Rip

Leave a comment:

Working...
X