Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Sir John Keegan, OBE

Sir John Keegan - Telegraph

I was on leave last week when he passed away.

Sir John had an unmatched ability to analyze and synthesize the story of combat to its true bare essentials. A fantatstic historian. I own all of his works, and enjoy Price of Admiralty and Fields of Battle the most.

He will be missed. Go read him.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

The world lost a brilliant historian and scholar. I talked to him once on the phone about a book deal and he was just such a wonderful gentleman.
    All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
    -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

RIP indeed.

I still rate his First World War as one of the best books I ever read.
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

As it happens I'm almost finished reading his book, The Second World War. He moved right along with little of the minutia one finds in other books on the era, and he had an unfailing eye for the critical elements that led to success or failure in battles and strategy. The layman doesn't often think of the importance of water, food, transport, and fuel on strategy and tactics. He brought all those things and more into the picture to show why what ought to have been done could not be done and vise versa. RIP
        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

"I still rate his First World War as one of the best books I ever read."

Remarkable clarity to his writing. Immeasurable contributions to our understanding of the military art. He'll be deeply missed.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
            As it happens I'm almost finished reading his book, The Second World War. He moved right along with little of the minutia one finds in other books on the era, and he had an unfailing eye for the critical elements that led to success or failure in battles and strategy. The layman doesn't often think of the importance of water, food, transport, and fuel on strategy and tactics. He brought all those things and more into the picture to show why what ought to have been done could not be done and vise versa. RIP
            Ahhhh, you HAVE been paying attention to my posts!
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X