Photos of the Presidio over the years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of the Presidio over the years

In the Chronicle from 1898 to today. I do like the shot with the Essex Class carrier in the background. Since I lived in the City for 10 years the Presidio is a favorite of mine and lived only a few blocks from a western entrance.

A century of the Presidio in San Francisco | The Big Event | an SFGate.com blog

gotta be one of the nicest places to get "deployed" to. i went to SF on leave and strolled the grounds of the Presidio, and wondered how the folks there managed to get themselves there.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

The range of "quality of life" between different basings in the U.S. military can be astounding, ranging from "freezing hell-hole of boredom" to "It's a permanent vacation." In the USAF, it was Shemya, in the Aleutian Islands, that tends to fit the former description, although guys that like outdoors/nature stuff do O.K.

I thought I'd gone to heaven when I got Eglin AFB (Ft. Walton Beach, Fl) as my first gig.

Being a big SCUBA enthusiast, I envy Navy personnel who are assigned to some of the remote Pacific islands, where world-class SCUBA is 3 blocks down the street.

Comment

shemya, huh? i always thought the definition of "freezing hell-hole of boredom" had to be minot!
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

"B-52 to Minot" at an assignment drop sounded a lot like "slow torture followed by a protracted and painful death" to many young lieutenants. "Why not Minot?" was the mantra of the three or four supporters of that remote assignment.

Comment

"why not minot? freezing's the reason!"

Comment

I remember the movie from way back. Looks like it had alot of charm.

Comment

Having been raised in the Bay Area, I had a chance to visit the Presidio a few times; I remember (back in 1990) being able to just walk onto the base (without being harrassed by the MP's; this was pre-9/11) and spend some time exploring the old barracks (which is now a tourist attraction) and (especially) the cemetery. If you have the chance, visit the Presidio cemetery; there are pre-Civil War graves there. Very interesting . . . .

P.S. tbm3fan: you forgot to tell them about Crissy Field!
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                  Having been raised in the Bay Area, I had a chance to visit the Presidio a few times; I remember (back in 1990) being able to just walk onto the base (without being harrassed by the MP's; this was pre-9/11) and spend some time exploring the old barracks (which is now a tourist attraction) and (especially) the cemetery. If you have the chance, visit the Presidio cemetery; there are pre-Civil War graves there. Very interesting . . . .

P.S. tbm3fan: you forgot to tell them about Crissy Field!

I got to spend 3 months at Letterman's Army Hospital winter quarter 1980-81 doing an internship. That was cool. Not so cool was I had to drive myself there.

Crissy Field? I didn't forget as it wasn't in the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post

Being a big SCUBA enthusiast, I envy Navy personnel who are assigned to some of the remote Pacific islands, where world-class SCUBA is 3 blocks down the street.
                    Like this one?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      gotta be one of the nicest places to get "deployed" to. i went to SF on leave and strolled the grounds of the Presidio, and wondered how the folks there managed to get themselves there.
                      Are you talking about pre-1994 ?

As part of a military reduction program, Congress voted in 1989 to end the Presidio's status as an active military installation and on October 1, 1994, it was transferred to the National Park Service, ending 219 years of military use and beginning its next phase of mixed commercial and public use.
                      Presidio of San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

no, this was last year.

army still has a presence there, most significantly the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center.

Presidio | The United States Army

Comment

the Presidio at Monterey and the Presidio at San Francisco are seperate commands, 80 miles apart.

Comment

I'm taking a drive through the SF Presidio this afternoon, en route to the airport and back home to HK. The former officers' quarters are now rented out on the market, and other buildings are rented out to selected enterprises that qualify for some special consideation for being NGOs or something like that. One is the Walt Disney Museum.

A week in Sonoma with perfect weather and even better wine comes to an end . . .
                            Trust me?
                            I'm an economist!

Comment

Update: If I lived in SF, the Presidio would be on top of my list of places to be.
                              Trust me?
                              I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                              X