Saddened by this coming from an Army man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddened by this coming from an Army man

So I was talking to a man in the Army and I asked what the training and stuff is like. He said it is pretty good and I continued asking about things like drop outs, etc. Eventually we got to fitness and when I asked about pushups he said the key to doing pushups in the military is learning how to cheat on them. By no means do I want that to be true but when they are doing hundreds of pushups I guess you could see it being true but I do not want to believe that the men protecting us are "cheating" PT.

Grow up. The army is more than PT.

Comment

I suspect that guys have always been looking for ways to cut edges during PT. But then again, I've never been/most likely never will be in that situation so that's a completely uneducated assumption.

Comment

We don't do push ups in combat. Aside from qualifications, unless you really p!ssed off the sgt, if we insist on everyone doing a perfect push up, no one would ever leave the barracks for the real training.

Comment

We would have a test once every six months, and none of those that didn't manage to do 76 perfect pushups were ever kicked out of the unit.
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

My 2c. When the chips are down, the same guy who might cheat on push ups will often take a bullet for a friend. Important in the military is knowing what is important, and what is part of the "game."

For example, during MOPP (chemical warfare) exercises, we pilots wore a badly-designed full-face mask that created a hot spot after 2 hours that feels like a 1/2" drill into the brain. When airborne, or hot-cocked on some remote pad, the mask would come off... blessed relief. We knew how to use the thing. If there were nerve agents present, obviously it'd stay on.

The same guys that would cheat with the MOPP gear would never dream of violating flight discipline. People die from that. They don't die from loosening the mask in a peace-time exercise.

Troops in the field requisition extra food, creature comforts, and supplies in a manner less than kosher. A time-honored practice.

The trick is in understanding what is critical, what honor demands that you respect and follow, and what is "queep". Queep is cleaning up the squadron and waxing the dry-erase boards for the General's visit. Critical is not lying to your commander when you drop a practice bomb by accident off-range.

Comment

Ok, I get why they would cheat the pushups and stuff then. And I asked him about it when you mentioned doing 76 pushups and he said that when he said cheat he did not mean you do not do any, he meant it in terms of like every 5 pushups you take a cheater rep. That is understandable but I originally thought it meant you cheat every the whole thing.

Comment

I had a nugget rear on a NORLANT cruise. Workups went well. He was obviously a very good scope. He fit in well in the squadron. His fitness reports were all top notch. But, when we deployed, we were headed north into the Atlantic, not a pleasant Caribbean cruise like our workups. On the third day of the deployment, nugget was seasick. Poor fellow stayed that way until we launched. Immediately he was fine. From there on out, he volunteered for every available flight. After about a week of bumping anyone who didn't want a flight the squadron CO and I sat down for a chat. Nugget was fine in the air, but a wreck on the boat and we hadn't even hit any big storms. We couldn't fly him to exhaustion, but flying was the only way he got any relief! So, we decided that for the good of the service, he would get transferred to a VP. He could work the scope on a P-3C and they fly 12 hour flights from land bases. Nugget was crushed. He felt like his CO and his front had abandoned him. We tried to tell him that a transfer to a VP was not a demotion and it would save his career and perhaps his life. (You cannot puke for hours on end and then go fly without something happening.)

He accepted his transfer and flew off the boat to Bermuda to begin transition to the P-3C. Somehow he got through all the Navy's screening for sea sickness. Maybe he lied, maybe he cheated, maybe we didn't do a good job of checking on his health. Last time I saw him, he was a tactical commander of a P-3C. The dude was an absolute submarine killer. Some people get seasick. Some people can't do pushups. It doesn't mean they are not fit for service.

Comment

Originally posted by wabpilot View Post
                  I had a nugget rear on a NORLANT cruise. Workups went well. He was obviously a very good scope. He fit in well in the squadron. His fitness reports were all top notch. But, when we deployed, we were headed north into the Atlantic, not a pleasant Caribbean cruise like our workups. On the third day of the deployment, nugget was seasick. Poor fellow stayed that way until we launched. Immediately he was fine. From there on out, he volunteered for every available flight. After about a week of bumping anyone who didn't want a flight the squadron CO and I sat down for a chat. Nugget was fine in the air, but a wreck on the boat and we hadn't even hit any big storms. We couldn't fly him to exhaustion, but flying was the only way he got any relief! So, we decided that for the good of the service, he would get transferred to a VP. He could work the scope on a P-3C and they fly 12 hour flights from land bases. Nugget was crushed. He felt like his CO and his front had abandoned him. We tried to tell him that a transfer to a VP was not a demotion and it would save his career and perhaps his life. (You cannot puke for hours on end and then go fly without something happening.)

He accepted his transfer and flew off the boat to Bermuda to begin transition to the P-3C. Somehow he got through all the Navy's screening for sea sickness. Maybe he lied, maybe he cheated, maybe we didn't do a good job of checking on his health. Last time I saw him, he was a tactical commander of a P-3C. The dude was an absolute submarine killer. Some people get seasick. Some people can't do pushups. It doesn't mean they are not fit for service.
                  Nicely put man. Kind of brings it into perspective.

Comment

Working...
                  X