Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry to any former Rhodesian Army personal but ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to any former Rhodesian Army personal but ...

... is this the campest looking bloody field uniform you have ever set eyes on! LOL!!!
    "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

I've got to agree but with the proviso that you're speaking from the land who brought us stubbies
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
      I've got to agree but with the proviso that you're speaking from the land who brought us stubbies
      Stubbies are ok when worn with a wife beater and thongs, never at any other time.

PS, I'm from NZ remember and I remember a pretty enthusiastic uptake of the shorts in the late 70's and early 80's. I think the ditty went:

"Stubbies supporters are a whole lot of players, Stubbies supporters a number of bums, Stubbies supporters the best dressing rooms, and a number of restaurants"....

Something like that anyway, I was only about 8 at the time :-).

Comment

Dude, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a stubby a beer?
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
          That is a later use (early to mid 80's I think) of the word, previously it referred to a brand of very short shorts.

Comment

I'll stick with my version, if that's okay by you. Unless they're on a really hot girl, of course...
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I'll stick with my version, if that's okay by you. Unless they're on a really hot girl, of course...
              On a hot girl they are called mumblers, cause you can see the lips move but you can't hear them speak...

Anyway, I'll be relying on you sticking with your version if you ever come back to Oz and stop by for a beer :-).

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiegunner View Post
                Stubbies are ok when worn with a wife beater and thongs, never at any other time.

PS, I'm from NZ remember and I remember a pretty enthusiastic uptake of the shorts in the late 70's and early 80's. I think the ditty went:

"Stubbies supporters are a whole lot of players, Stubbies supporters a number of bums, Stubbies supporters the best dressing rooms, and a number of restaurants"....

Something like that anyway, I was only about 8 at the time :-).
                I google to see what you're talking about ... and I am extremely sorry I did that.

Comment

Going back to the original thread and leaving the behind the antipodean fashion show......

I always thought shorts were a very bad idea for any combat uniform. You have no protection for your legs from brush, thorns, hitting the gorund, etc. Cotton provides a least some kind of barrier from flash burns.

I believe the British Army discovered in North Africa that shorts were a very bad idea.

Of course, the US Army was stupid and waited to the late 1950s to adopt shorts for awhile.

Attached Files
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    Going back to the original thread and leaving the behind the antipodean fashion show......

I always thought shorts were a very bad idea for any combat uniform. You have no protection for your legs from brush, thorns, hitting the gorund, etc. Cotton provides a least some kind of barrier from flash burns.

I believe the British Army discovered in North Africa that shorts were a very bad idea.

Of course, the US Army was stupid and waited to the late 1950s to adopt shorts for awhile.

[ATTACH]22900[/ATTACH]
                    Shorts like that are so much better for navies on so many levels ...

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                      I google to see what you're talking about ... and I am extremely sorry I did that.
                      Not as sorry as those of us who lived through those decades when stubbies were in fashion. You recieved but a glimpse of the potential horror show that unfolded as soon as the winter months receded. Throw a pair on a hideously overweight, beer guzzling man in the aforementioned thongs, wife beater (blue singlet, or even worse, no top at all!!!) & a small terrytowling had that barely kept the sun off anything & you have the true stuff of nightmares. Now we drink to forget.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

yes. a smaller bottle of beer

Comment

We've adopted much TTP from the Sealous Scouts over the years...except the shorts.

Comment

Back in the early 80s we all wore shorts like that. OP shorts, Izod shirts and K-Swiss shoes. Yeah, I've got pictures.
                            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                              Back in the early 80s we all wore shorts like that. OP shorts, Izod shirts and K-Swiss shoes. Yeah, I've got pictures.
                              Well??..........

Comment

Working...
                              X