Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is serving in the military enough?

Or do you need a purple heart as well?

This is a very touchy area for me and I'm at odds with some friends and co-workers about it.

Evidently on the Mancow radio program this morning (who can't handle waterboarding, wussy), somebody called in and explained how he stopped and took the time to lecture an awarded purple heart vet, displaying an American flag and a purple heart in the back window of the vehicle he was driving which was a Toyota.

Evidently the guy had issue with Old Glory flying in the back end of a toyota, touting that 98% of all Toyota profits go straight to Japan and that this vet, who obviously was injured IN COMBAT, had to put up with this sh1thead losers admonishments that he was somehow NOT patriotic in his choice of vehicle. According to my friend(maybe no longer a friend), who agreed and said Mancow agreed as well.

So does what you drive when you get back from the battlefield trump the blood you spilled?

My opinion is that I can drive whatever the hell I want, i can buy whatever the hell I want from where-ever the hell I want, and how dare ANYONE question my patriotism by the brand of friggin car I drive.

I'd like to see this jerkwad run his mouth at a patriot guard function with all the Honda's and Yamaha's right in there with the Harleys.

It's the man, not the ride!

of course it's BS-- can the caller guarantee that all his stuff is 100% american made and sourced? how much chinese stuff does the guy have?

how many american workers have you supported by buying a toyota made in the US?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I think serving your country is enough...it does not need to be only in the military. One can honorably serve the nation in many ways.

And do these asshats know that Toyota directly employs 14820 Americans in the manufacturing of those cars in 5 US plants...not to mention the dealers who employ more?

And Toyota North America pays taxes in each of those states and to federal coffers as well.

If these people think the total sum of your value as an American is summed up in what you drive then I don't even have time to pity them.

7th you and I rarely agree but I am shoulder to shoulder with you on this.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Who the hell says you gotta be injured to count? Some of those who are injured in war are lucky enough to walk way from it with a broken bone, a bruise, a slight knock on the noggin and maybe some slight discomfort. Some people lose limbs. Can you decide which injury you want to get? Hell, no.

I would seriously question this friend of yours and what his opinions on the matter are, and perhaps consider an early termination of your relationship. I've met a guy that didn't go to the IDF because he "didn't feel like it". I spent three days in the same place as him, didn't utter another word in his direction once I heard that. If you have been there and done that, you can criticize, but I don't have to listen or accept it. If you haven't been there and done that, you can go fcuk yourself.

I'm sure many folks here would like to meet the asswipe that decided to criticize the Toyota driver. Perhaps if he met some of the vets here, maybe along with their buddies, he could explain to them why they are wrong and mistaken, and in turn they could share their thoughts and opinions on the matter with him. I'm sure it will be very educational and informative for all sides.

Edit: If anyone can find some mention of this online, or even find the broadcast itself, I'd appreciate it. I Googled it, but couldn't find anything
        Last edited by bigross86; 13 Oct 10,, 15:27.
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I tried to access the radio show to hear it for myself. I am not going to pay money to access it to post it. Mancow related a story about how his grandfather, who served in WWII and would never drive a Toyota(or anything Japanese I'm sure) after the caller said his piece. Evidently he never agreed or disagreed(good lib move) he just blabbered about something else without committing. Therefore I will take it he agrees since he did not protest.

Just want to be accurate as possible here. I trust my friends account as she listens everymorning.

Comment

That's kinda ****ed up. I'm not much of a flag-waver (more an amorphus, a-national blob) but the guy clearly put his life on the line. Even if you don't agree with the war he was fighting, he was there and should a war come along that did suit your politics, he'd be there too. For you.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
              Who the hell says you gotta be injured to count? Some of those who are injured in war are lucky enough to walk way from it with a broken bone, a bruise, a slight knock on the noggin and maybe some slight discomfort. Some people lose limbs. Can you decide which injury you want to get? Hell, no.
              My point exactly. Its would be bad enough to gripe at any vet, but a PH recipient just makes it more harsh.

I would seriously question this friend of yours and what his opinions on the matter are, and perhaps consider an early termination of your relationship.
              Well....its a "she" and she rides a harley. Not a vet, and loves talking the talk, but not walking the walk.
              Edit: If anyone can find some mention of this online, or even find the broadcast itself, I'd appreciate it. I Googled it, but couldn't find anything
              I'll be looking for it. The show is still on at this hour, so tomorrow there might be something. I'm getting ready to email an inquiry to the show anyway.

Comment

Well....its a "she" and she rides a harley. Not a vet, and loves talking the talk, but not walking the walk.
                Must not like getting shot at.

Comment

Originally posted by Pakmiran View Post
                  Must not like getting shot at.
                  WTH does that have to do with it? Who LIKES to get shot at?

Comment

7th,

Who LIKES to get shot at?
                    marines, lol
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                      Well....its a "she" and she rides a harley.
                      Ditch her ... but take the Harley.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Ditch her ... but take the Harley.
                        Its an '87 883 sportster, I got enough things to fix already, so no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                          7th,

marines, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            I think serving your country is enough...it does not need to be only in the military. One can honorably serve the nation in many ways.
                            Tell that to the Republicans (most especially Bluesman) who claims that the Democrats are unpatriotic even though they have served in the military or in civil service in some fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                              Tell that to the Republicans (most especially Bluesman) who claims that the Democrats are unpatriotic even though they have served in the military or in civil service in some fashion.
                              I know...I have been the target of that from him on many occasions.

It used to bother me but it doesn't anymore...I just consider the source and move on.
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X