X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zraver
    replied
    Originally posted by alfa2bravo View Post
    There are some magazines who deals with military affairs. Can somebody tell me how to get associated with them as prefessionally. I know I have to start from zero
    Unless you have an established body of work or an introduction don't expect much. If you have a terminal degree you might be able to do peer review work to start with to make connections. If you don't, then expect a lot of hard work. The Colonel and Andy built a site and nurtured it, Planesman created his guides, Fofanov mastered everything about Russian tanks- none of them make money or much of it as far as I know. I've had people from all over the world ask my opinion, not one government.

The only way your going to make money is by writing somethign that sells. Blogs are easiest- if you get the content right there is potential. Books carry more prestige and for a very small few- huge rewards.

If you do a Blog you need something that will pop the google spiders and brign you traffic. Learn about key words and phrases, join lots of related forums with your personal blog in your sig or profile. Post often, become part of the community and get members to look to you for advice and opinions (which will lead them to your blog). A good vita can't hurt you. Education in relevant feilds lends your claims credence. If you don;t have a degree- get one. Oh and make sure you have a good name as well as game.

Alfa2Bravo- A2B (A leads to B).

A2B The Progression Of Global Defense Issues.

Once your blog is making money and your credentialed then you start submitting original content to the zines you want to get published in.

oh, unless your a true polymath, pick one area and focus like a laser.

Leave a comment:

• T_igger_cs_30
    replied
    I am thinking of becoming a intelligence analyst. I do not have any degree in military or political studies.
    Well it would appear you have a great start and all the necassary qualifications

seriously, good luck in your endevours, it has been pointed out by wiser souls than I, it is a thankless but yet somehow rewarding job, depending on your outlook or expectations.

Leave a comment:

• Ray
    replied
    Try this military magazine. It contains military affairs and also articles on the lives of military families.

:: Welcome to Purple Beret ::

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Like any other magazine. Contact them directly, show them your work and go from there.

Leave a comment:

• alfa2bravo
    replied
    There are some magazines who deals with military affairs. Can somebody tell me how to get associated with them as prefessionally. I know I have to start from zero

Leave a comment:

• Skywatcher
    replied
    Alfa2bravo: There are a lot of think tanks in India focusing on defense issues. Perhaps you could try your luck with them?

Leave a comment:

• tankie
    replied
    Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    I noticed that you left out the engineers again.
    Doesnt everyone , you aint coming to our old farts swing the ligts and pull up a sandbag party matey ,

well maybe if ya bring ya scotch collection
    Last edited by tankie; 05 Aug 10,, 10:10.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I noticed that you left out the engineers again.

Leave a comment:

• bigross86
    replied
    I was being conservative. Notice I said at least...

Leave a comment:

• dundonrl
    replied
    Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
    With all the military and defense professionals you have on the board I'd say that you probably have an aggregate total of at least 250 years worth of service in all branches from all over the world. Air Force, Navy, Infantry, Armor, Arty, and even the Marines are represented, with civilian defense professionals and contractors as well. If you have any specific questions to ask, you're guaranteed to get an answer, even if that answer is an honest "I don't know". Unfortunately, a broad and general thread on such a vast topic will get you nowhere.

Go ahead, ask away. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
    250? from what I've read on here, there's A LOT more than that, heck I've been in the US Navy myself almost 19 years, and I know there's people with more experience/time in the various world's services longer than that..

Leave a comment:

• silentsam
    replied
    I just want to do something of my choice, which I will like to do.I have always wanted to pursue career in military & at 29 all the doors are closed for me(Govt jobs). So the only option is either freelance or private sector.
    You would probably be better off listening to those above who have told you that you aren't going to be able to make a living at it...but if you are dead set on doing something different, you might consider getting an appropriate education. Check out this school. The graduate/professor profiles are worth the read.

Leave a comment:

• alfa2bravo
    replied
    Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
    Alfa I think you are just suffering from the IT blues.
    After so many years of 10+ hour days as a white collar wage labourer, the depression and aimlessness will always set in.
    Take a long look at work, find the parts you really like and focus like crazy on growing yourself in that area.
    A lot of people try to do stuff like volunteering for charities or social work, that also could motivate you.
    I just want to do something of my choice, which I will like to do.I have always wanted to pursue career in military & at 29 all the doors are closed for me(Govt jobs). So the only option is either freelance or private sector.

Leave a comment:

• bolo121
    replied
    Alfa I think you are just suffering from the IT blues.
    After so many years of 10+ hour days as a white collar wage labourer, the depression and aimlessness will always set in.
    Take a long look at work, find the parts you really like and focus like crazy on growing yourself in that area.
    A lot of people try to do stuff like volunteering for charities or social work, that also could motivate you.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What about Open source intelligence analyst. I heard that people can work as freelancer.
    Yes, you can but you will not make a living out of it but out of love. We have one member here who is in demand by the Washington elite, Xinhui. He and I and a few others founded the China-Defense.com/forum and it was a pleasure of love for the founders. Frankly speaking, we were the core of the English speaking world at determining and explaining Chinese military events.

I have a few years on Andy, meaning I am getting old, but Andy has done more for the American intel community on China than the American intel community on China ... and he was never paid for it.

Son, you are NOT going to switch careers. Accept that. Andy and I are PLA experts because we enjoyed the challenge, not because we're paid for it.

Do sign up for the China-Defense.com/forum and see what we mean. None of us at CDF are being paid for what we do but with extremely good reason, CDF is the primary English source on the PLA.

And frankly, we've done a far better job that those who are getting paid, ... as dismal as that might be.

Leave a comment:

• alfa2bravo
    replied
    What about Open source intelligence analyst. I heard that people can work as freelancer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X