No announcement yet.

A Thread for military or defence career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's low paying and it sucks. Basically, you read everything you could, write up some report that nobody is going to read. In the meantime, the people who did the real work are pissed off that you stole it from them.

Comment

In theory, yes; in practice, unlikely. First and foremost you would need to have qualifications that few US citizens have in order to get a work visa for the US, secondly getting security clearances as a foreign national is a tougher more complicated process.

A skilled materials, aerospace or weapons engineer yes can get a job with a US contractor that is US based and likely will work any number of locations supporting any number of platforms after a few years you can find yourself working in an indepth position for a US contractor in the US. Analyst on the other hand is fairly unlikely because the only country you likely are to have background knowledge is your own where you served and in that case are under all kinds of security considerations for taking a job with another nationality, Now if you have linguist skills especially in a language that is in conflict or potential conflict with US interests and are able to clear security background checks then its a horse of a different colour.

I

Comment

Unfortunately, as a foreign national, you are unlikely to get a clearance sufficient to work as an intel analyst. Even as a naturalized citizen, the hurdles would be immense.

Best of luck.

Comment

What about Open source intelligence analyst. I heard that people can work as freelancer.

Comment

Originally posted by alfa2bravo View Post
            What about Open source intelligence analyst. I heard that people can work as freelancer.
            Yes, you can but you will not make a living out of it but out of love. We have one member here who is in demand by the Washington elite, Xinhui. He and I and a few others founded the China-Defense.com/forum and it was a pleasure of love for the founders. Frankly speaking, we were the core of the English speaking world at determining and explaining Chinese military events.

I have a few years on Andy, meaning I am getting old, but Andy has done more for the American intel community on China than the American intel community on China ... and he was never paid for it.

Son, you are NOT going to switch careers. Accept that. Andy and I are PLA experts because we enjoyed the challenge, not because we're paid for it.

Do sign up for the China-Defense.com/forum and see what we mean. None of us at CDF are being paid for what we do but with extremely good reason, CDF is the primary English source on the PLA.

And frankly, we've done a far better job that those who are getting paid, ... as dismal as that might be.

Comment

Alfa I think you are just suffering from the IT blues.
              After so many years of 10+ hour days as a white collar wage labourer, the depression and aimlessness will always set in.
              Take a long look at work, find the parts you really like and focus like crazy on growing yourself in that area.
              A lot of people try to do stuff like volunteering for charities or social work, that also could motivate you.
              For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                Alfa I think you are just suffering from the IT blues.
                After so many years of 10+ hour days as a white collar wage labourer, the depression and aimlessness will always set in.
                Take a long look at work, find the parts you really like and focus like crazy on growing yourself in that area.
                A lot of people try to do stuff like volunteering for charities or social work, that also could motivate you.
                I just want to do something of my choice, which I will like to do.I have always wanted to pursue career in military & at 29 all the doors are closed for me(Govt jobs). So the only option is either freelance or private sector.

Comment

Originally posted by alfa2bravo View Post
                  I just want to do something of my choice, which I will like to do.I have always wanted to pursue career in military & at 29 all the doors are closed for me(Govt jobs). So the only option is either freelance or private sector.
                  You would probably be better off listening to those above who have told you that you aren't going to be able to make a living at it...but if you are dead set on doing something different, you might consider getting an appropriate education. Check out this school. The graduate/professor profiles are worth the read.
                  Aut vincere aut mori

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                    With all the military and defense professionals you have on the board I'd say that you probably have an aggregate total of at least 250 years worth of service in all branches from all over the world. Air Force, Navy, Infantry, Armor, Arty, and even the Marines are represented, with civilian defense professionals and contractors as well. If you have any specific questions to ask, you're guaranteed to get an answer, even if that answer is an honest "I don't know". Unfortunately, a broad and general thread on such a vast topic will get you nowhere.

Go ahead, ask away. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
                    250? from what I've read on here, there's A LOT more than that, heck I've been in the US Navy myself almost 19 years, and I know there's people with more experience/time in the various world's services longer than that..

Comment

I was being conservative. Notice I said at least...
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I noticed that you left out the engineers again.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          I noticed that you left out the engineers again.
                          Doesnt everyone , you aint coming to our old farts swing the ligts and pull up a sandbag party matey ,

well maybe if ya bring ya scotch collection
                          Last edited by tankie; 05 Aug 10,, 10:10.

Comment

Alfa2bravo: There are a lot of think tanks in India focusing on defense issues. Perhaps you could try your luck with them?

Comment

There are some magazines who deals with military affairs. Can somebody tell me how to get associated with them as prefessionally. I know I have to start from zero

Comment

Like any other magazine. Contact them directly, show them your work and go from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X