Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to basic with an open contract, that bad of an idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to basic with an open contract, that bad of an idea?

So I just had a quick question for those of you wiser than myself, that's probably everybody here. So back at the beginning of September I went through MEPS and signed my first contract with the marine corps. Now at the time the field I wanted, 03XX, wasn't available so instead of signing a contract with a job I didn't want, I signed an open contract, hoping a slot would open up in October. Now before anyone points out that that was a BAD idea, yes, I know what I did when I signed that open contract, I know that I gave up any say that I have and my future is totally out of my hands. So anyway, now I've been assigned to the artillery field and while I don't hate it, I still really want an infantry slot. So my question is this, should I roll the dice and go to basic with an open contract, hoping for the best. Or just stick with what I have?

Oh, and as far as tests and whatnot go, I'm qualified for any enlisted MOS

USMiltCom Reply

What shall you be doing as a marine artilleryman?
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I don't believe I'll find out until after basic. If it were 0861, Fire Support, I would be okay with keeping it

Comment

USMiltCom Reply

I'm a former ARMY artillery officer so marine MOS mean little to me. Gun Grape here is a marine artillery gunnery sergeant, however.

I will say this, those closest to the infantry in army artillery are 13F or forward observers. You spend a lot of time with the infantry relative to anybody else in cannon artillery. It goes downhill from there into rockets and missiles.

An F.O. position isn't a bad way to view infantry life and determine if that's a better fit for your ambitions. LOTS of fun too, IMV.
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by US_MiltCom View Post
          So I just had a quick question for those of you wiser than myself, that's probably everybody here. So back at the beginning of September I went through MEPS and signed my first contract with the marine corps. Now at the time the field I wanted, 03XX, wasn't available so instead of signing a contract with a job I didn't want, I signed an open contract, hoping a slot would open up in October. Now before anyone points out that that was a BAD idea, yes, I know what I did when I signed that open contract, I know that I gave up any say that I have and my future is totally out of my hands. So anyway, now I've been assigned to the artillery field and while I don't hate it, I still really want an infantry slot. So my question is this, should I roll the dice and go to basic with an open contract, hoping for the best. Or just stick with what I have?

Oh, and as far as tests and whatnot go, I'm qualified for any enlisted MOS

Which one is it? Do you have an open contract or are you going in with a OccField guarantee as an Artilleryman?

What does the enlistment document, not your recruiter, say? If it says open, or open combat arms option, then nothing is guaranteed. The recruiter
          can give you a pretty good idea of where you might end up but unless its in writing, you are just a liable to end up as a cook as a Artilleryman.

And BTW, Artillery , unlike the lesser fields of endeavor, is always capitalized ;).

We are the Gods of War.

If you want to be assured a 0861 spot. Get it in writing. Thats one class that depends on schools at 2 different bases, and the classes are small. On an open contract, you will be a 0811. Serving the gun line. But on a happy note, Arty units have been deploying as provisional rifle companies so you might get your wish.

Want to be a grunt. Wait until you can get it in writing.

Comment

Thank you for the response sir. Either of you would know this better than I but I believe anyone enlisting with the marines is ONLY allowed to request a job field, never a specific MOS, I think only the army let's you choose a specific number, and since my contract officially says "open" I guess I already rolled the dice. I need to give my recruiter a call tomorrow anyway but since you're here... Do you know how easy it is to change MOSs after basic? Or is it even possible?
            Last edited by US_MiltCom; 23 Oct 09,, 18:46.

Comment

Thank you for the response sir. Either of you would know this better than I but I believe anyone enlisting with the marines is ONLY allowed to request a job field, never a specific MOS, I think only the army let's you choose a specific number, and since my contract officially says "open" I guess I already rolled the dice. I need to give my recruiter a call tomorrow anyway but since you're here... Do you know how easy it is to change MOSs after basic? Or is it even possible?
              Doesn't happen. the first time you may be offered the chance to change MOSs (LatMove) is at reenlistment.

Things may have changed, but you can sign up for a job. Its how they fill school seats and make class dates.

That being said, your recruiter may not be able to do it. But its pretty early in the FY. Is there a certain time that you are wanting to go in? Could you wait for an open slot? Or is he pushing you to go at a specific time?

Comment

Gunny, did he just call you sir?!?!?!?!
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

In regards to Albany Rifles, I'm a long way from being a marine but, I was once told that "when in doubt, a marine would call a lamp post 'sir'"

If nothing changes I should be shipping to San Diego on January 25th.

Basically my recruiter made it sound like I have three options, I can hope an infantry spot opens up and he can grab it for me, I can go with an open contract and hope for the best, or I can stick with (A)rtillery and almost definitely be assigned something in that field upon completion of basic.

Comment

In regards to Albany Rifles, I'm a long way from being a marine but, I was once told that "when in doubt, a marine would call a lamp post 'sir'"

If nothing changes I should be shipping to San Diego on January 25th.

Basically my recruiter made it sound like I have three options, I can hope an infantry spot opens up and he can grab it for me, I can go with an open contract and hope for the best, or I can stick with (A)rtillery and almost definitely be assigned something in that field upon completion of basic.

Best of luck to you from an old Army Infantryman

Just trying to get a rise out of the Old Gunny there.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Thank you sir. And if there's one thing I've learned in my extremely short military career it would have to be, NEVER try to get a rise out of a gunnery sergeant, hahaha.

Comment

USMiltCom

"it would have to be, NEVER try to get a rise out of a gunnery sergeant, hahaha."

You learn quickly, young marine...

...for a goof (gopher).:))

If you really are as smart as you seem, then you'll realize that the lowliest redleg holds distinction of merit and place over the highest grunt.;)

On Wisconsin. We OWN Minnesota...

Comment

While normally I would never let such a slight stand, I'm a Fighting Sioux fan....

Comment

US MiltCom Reply

"While normally I would never let such a slight stand, I'm a Fighting Sioux fan...."

Then it ISN'T a slight. It's also why many in Wisconsin refer to your state as East Dakota.:))

It matters not. Soon your world will be gyrene green and the only other colors of note shall be the red, white, and blue.;)

Carry on, young marine to be...:)

Comment

Rolling the dice can have some pretty painful results. If the Corps needs cooks, and sometimes that is the only MOS open, you are a cook. If you have high ASVAB scores, you might end up in a technical MOS as some sort of aviation mechanic or even in the intel field.

If your recruiter can change your MOS field up until the moment you ship, I'd keep the arty MOS and cross your fingers and hope that an 03xx spot opens at the last minute. Going with an open MOS is a real crap shoot.

If you listen to your recruiter, you do not have a lot of choice or pull. However, you actually have more pull than you know because if he is counting on you to ship in Jan and you balk, then you can cause him some grief. (Not sure of the risks if you back out of your contract, may make if more difficult for federal employment in the future...not sure.) Not that I'm advocating backing out of your contract, but make him work for you. The winter months are tough for recruiters and they are counting on everyone shipping on time else their numbers get screwed. (Then again, recruiting during a recession is easier than during a boom economy.) I worked at a recruiting HQ and we were always pestering the Districts to make their monthly shipping goals, so I have some insight on the pressure a recruiter can be under.

Comment

Working...
                              X