X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine pleads guilty in hero hoax

Faces up to 8 1/2 years in prison for faking injury to get freebies

updated 1 hour, 19 minutes ago

QUANTICO, Va. - A Marine Corps sergeant pleaded guilty Wednesday to faking post-traumatic stress disorder and pretending to be an injured hero to get in free to rock concerts and professional sporting events.

Sgt. David Budwah pleaded guilty to nine charges, including making false statements, malingering and misconduct at a court-martial hearing on the Marine Corps Base in Quantico, Va.

Some of the charges may be condensed at his sentencing hearing Wednesday afternoon. Budwah faces up to 8 1/2 years in prison, a reduction in rank and a dishonorable discharge.

'Never deployed'
    Budwah acknowledged he was never deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, as he claimed. He said he lied about having helped with the 2004 tsunami relief effort and didn't earn eight medals and ribbons he wore on his uniform.

"The truth of it is, I was never deployed and I was never injured," Budwah told Navy Capt. Bruce W. MacKenzie, chief judge of the Navy-Marine Corps Trial Judiciary. "Everything that I said was false."

Budwah, 34, of Springhill, La., admitted to bluffing his way into 13 events last year, including banquets, rock concerts, a Washington Redskins football game and a Washington Nationals baseball game.

He also admitted obtaining under false pretenses a laptop computer and personal digital assistant from Soldiers' Angels, an organization that helps wounded service members.

Lied at Legion camp
    Budwah acknowledged he lied when he told young boys at an American Legion camp in western Maryland in July 2008 that he was wounded in Afghanistan when he dove on a homemade grenade to shield a buddy from the blast.

Instead, Budwah was with a radio communications unit in Okinawa, Japan, from early 2000 to early 2006, and then at Quantico, where he worked as a store clerk.

He said he was legitimately sent to the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., in June 2008 for outpatient treatment for a stomach ailment. Once there, he claimed PTSD in hopes of leaving service before his scheduled September 2009 discharge date. He became an inpatient and began bluffing his way into wounded-warrior events, he said.

Well I hope the freebies were worth it cause now he's paying for it! What a JERK!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
    sigpic

Thats a real shame, a blight on other Service men and women that have deployed. Why on earth do people do such things. Even worse he was a 'Blanket Stacker'.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
      Thats a real shame, a blight on other Service men and women that have deployed. Why on earth do people do such things. Even worse he was a 'Blanket Stacker'.
      Sad innit , some blanket stackers get promoted to shiney arses , about all they are fit for .The guy who is still waiting for GCM for A/G was a blanket stacker , i wonder when his case will be heard

Comment

Too much of it goes on Southie. Check out the 'veterans hoax' thread below.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
          Soon as ya posts it B/f ;)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
            Soon as ya posts it B/f ;)

Sorry Tankie, I meant down the list on this forum. Here 'tis.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/fie...or-charge.html
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Ah yes , got it , cheers B/F

Comment

I saw this article yesterday. A shame.:(
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                  I know but it still pisses me off!! Especially when I get VA disability and felt somewhat guilty about getting it because I didn't think it was service related. Oh well!
                  “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post
                    I know but it still pisses me off!! Especially when I get VA disability and felt somewhat guilty about getting it because I didn't think it was service related. Oh well!
                    Pay it back. :))

Comment

Pay it back. :))
                      I don't think so! Because now that my "disability" is a little more severe, yes, I do believe it was service connected. Plus I used to do the retirement briefings at the Pentagon, and the VA rep always reiterated that you can apply for anything that happened while in the military. And now that I'm on meds, I'll probably apply to see if my rating can be increased. But at least my disability is real, unlike that scum!
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't think so! Because now that my "disability" is a little more severe, yes, I do believe it was service connected. Plus I used to do the retirement briefings at the Pentagon, and the VA rep always reiterated that you can apply for anything that happened while in the military. And now that I'm on meds, I'll probably apply to see if my rating can be increased. But at least my disability is real, unlike that scum!
                        Hey Southie I was jesting, come here give us a cuddle. I recieved a One Off payment when I left, my knees were knackered.

Comment

Hey Southie I was jesting, come here give us a cuddle. I recieved a One Off payment when I left, my knees were knackered.
                          I know! :)
                          sigpic

Comment

I know! :)
                            Phew, thank God for that. Hey wheres my Cuddle?

Comment

Phew, thank God for that. Hey wheres my Cuddle?
                              My arms don't stretch that far! lol Wrap your arms around yourself and that's my hug for you! :)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X