Why did you join the Military?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tankie View Post
    Thats a shame Luke , i think young men like you would enjoy the military life , what i had , i enjoyed , can you not go army or navy :)
    I think I have lost all the chances。My father is a person who couldn't go to high school when he was young because he was a landlord's son。But he has a University Dreams,and it gives me a big influence。Sometimes I wonder why I want to go college,for him or for myself?I'm the first college student in my father's family。Frankly speaking,the only one among persons who has the same age with me in my hometown 。I ever plan to go to Military college,but I get a chronic diseases and it makes all my plan become impossible。:(

Comment

Originally Posted by tankie View Post
      Thats a shame Luke , i think young men like you would enjoy the military life , what i had , i enjoyed , can you not go army or navy
      Yep, Gotta admit that I enjoyed the military. I had quite a good time. Sucked when I had to leave half way through so I know how you feel Luke. College ain't so bad though and there are girls everywhere and it is better than being a work a day sod with a shovel in your hand.
      Si Uis Pacem Para Bellum
      Pax Per Potens

Comment

Because the Salvation Army and Circus wouldn't have me.

Truly, I grew up on COMBAT, Twelve O'Clock High and a deep abiding love of country and American history.

It must have been deep because it kept me going during the down times on American college campuses in the 1970s.

And I have never regretted my decision.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

I havent joined,still in pocess of applying to RN.I guess I am looking for adventure,my life till this point has been boring.I also like aircraft so applying to be air engineering officer.
          If you desire peace prepare for war.

Comment

College cash all the way. And the uniform.
            USS Toledo, SSN 769

Comment

Grandafather, Uncles, elder brother, Cousins all having served or serving, I had a penchant for big guns and thus cleared the entrance and SSB interview straight away and boom!!! Enjoying doing things I wouldn't have done otherwise, some bitter experiences, however outnumbered by better ones. Would do it again and again and again. Hope my son also developes the same fondness for this great army of its time.
              sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

For me, it was the culmination of a long interest in the military, which probably started when I was around five and got my first GI Joe action figure.

Since then, I've always maintained that interest, to a certain degree or another. My other main interest, I suppose, was art, which I ended up majoring in at university. However, by the end of my time there, my interest in pursuing that as a career waned and I finally (after being very close two times previously) enrolled. I was initially interested in the Army but ended up in the Navy after becoming more impressed with/exposed to it. I was THIS close to becoming an Armoured Officer, but insisted on changing my preference to Navy to the recruiter. The only regret I have is that I'm definitely in worse physical shape than I would have been in the Army, but I'm doing what I love!

Comment

I was the first person in my family to serve in and complete army service. I joined cause it's mandatory, but I went to a combat unit even though I could have gotten out of it very easily by hiding a leg injury.

It's mandatory service, but I would have gone even if it wasn't for the very simple reason that if someone is willing to give up their life so I can live in peace, how much of a selfish bastard would I be if I wasn't willing to do the same?
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Sub-contracting, Knowing I played a very small part in a very big cause, being a part of Man-Machine-Moment. I have always felt priveleged and will never forget how it feels to finally see the end product flourish.:)
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 27 Oct 09,, 17:30.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I joined to pay for collage. But I do enjoy it.

Comment

Joined because being paid to dive underwater, shoot rifles, and blow stuff up seemed like a good time. Did that for a while, then decided to get my commission. Transferred to technical work as an officer, which isn't quite as exciting, but was a decent trade off for family life.
                        http://groundpoundingtruth.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                          I was the first person in my family to serve in and complete army service. I joined cause it's mandatory, but I went to a combat unit even though I could have gotten out of it very easily by hiding a leg injury.

It's mandatory service, but I would have gone even if it wasn't for the very simple reason that if someone is willing to give up their life so I can live in peace, how much of a selfish bastard would I be if I wasn't willing to do the same?
                          Whoa! Nice to see your still around! Shabbat Shalom! (it's 1709 Friday here.) !
                          Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                          (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                            To get out of a South African jail. I had a chance to go to South Africa for a wedding, a once in a lifetime trip. I had to pay only $400 for air fare from California, usually a two thousand dollar proposition. Wouldn't you know it our flight was late, the people we were staying with had gone to Durban for the surfing finals. The maid was waiting for us, let us in and started up the "braai" (BBQ). I opted to stay in Shannon while my friend went to Durban. I sent the maid home for the weekend and invited the waay too cute neighbor girls over for "beer and brai". Yeah baby!

Coming back from the store for beer I forgot that in South Africa they drive on "wrong" side of the road and pulled out right in front of a constable. Yep, you guessed it, on the "wrong "side! The local constabulary convinced themselves I was a squatter staying in someones house while they were on holiday. I had sent the maid home remember? No one to vouch for me until Monday. I was arraigned bright and early first thing Monday morning. No bail as I was a tourist and considered a flight risk. No such thing as a speedy trial. I was told my case would come up in seven or eight months "if I was lucky", a year if I was not.

Sitting in a South African jail for a year didn't sound so good. They told me the army would come by every week looking for volunteers. The war was on and they needed people. So I volunteered for the reserve. My plan was to get trained, get discharged into the reserve, take my pay and resume my interrupted tour of the country. That was the plan anyways...:))
                            You, sir, have the best stories.

This thread reminds me of that scene from Stripes where everyone sat down in the barracks to tell the story of why they joined.

Perhaps we should call OoE "the big toe..."
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Slightly reminds me a bit of this friend who almost got railroaded into the French Foreign Legion after a drunken night in southern France on a school trip... they were rather reluctant to let him go despite his signature on the contract not being legally binding (without parental consent) as he was only 16 at the time. He signed up as a volunteer with the Bundeswehr the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                                You, sir, have the best stories.

This thread reminds me of that scene from Stripes where everyone sat down in the barracks to tell the story of why they joined.

Perhaps we should call OoE "the big toe..."
                                Well even I think it's funny now. At the time I was waaay less than amused, oh hell, I cant even begin...
                                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Working...
                                X