Why did you join the Military?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did you join the Military?

There must be a hundred reasons or more. What was your motivation? Serve or go to jail, love of country, college money, wanted a cool uniform?

Tell your story here. I would ask that you think hard about it and for us older vets, would you do it again today? Have things changed enough that you may do things differently?

My grandfather and father served when called upon. I wanted to do the same. The Marine Corps offered the opportunity to serve my country, be part of one of the greatest military forces, wear the best uniform, see the world, get some money for school, and blow stuff up without going to jail. It was a perfect fit.

If times were different, and I was graduating from high school at this point, I would enlist. I would even re-enlist/seek a commission at this point if they would take me back. If I had a son, I would support his decision to enlist if he wanted to.

We need people who are willing to sacrifice the comforts of life, so that others can live in peace.
    Last edited by silentsam; 26 Sep 09,, 03:25.
    Aut vincere aut mori

Comment

It was either the military or wiping old peoples' asses for a year. Jail wasn't really an option, because they just drag you off to do your full service afterwards anyway.

I'd make the same choice again. Back then i was thinking about perhaps serving up to half a year longer - bridging the time until university, making some actual money unlike during conscription; Kosovo interfered with that, with my unit no longer accepting any extensions for service of under two years, and sending everyone who wasn't a conscript down south. The three from my company who actually went for that were in it only for the money.

Comment

Wta

To get out of a South African jail. I had a chance to go to South Africa for a wedding, a once in a lifetime trip. I had to pay only $400 for air fare from California, usually a two thousand dollar proposition. Wouldn't you know it our flight was late, the people we were staying with had gone to Durban for the surfing finals. The maid was waiting for us, let us in and started up the "braai" (BBQ). I opted to stay in Shannon while my friend went to Durban. I sent the maid home for the weekend and invited the waay too cute neighbor girls over for "beer and brai". Yeah baby!

Coming back from the store for beer I forgot that in South Africa they drive on "wrong" side of the road and pulled out right in front of a constable. Yep, you guessed it, on the "wrong "side! The local constabulary convinced themselves I was a squatter staying in someones house while they were on holiday. I had sent the maid home remember? No one to vouch for me until Monday. I was arraigned bright and early first thing Monday morning. No bail as I was a tourist and considered a flight risk. No such thing as a speedy trial. I was told my case would come up in seven or eight months "if I was lucky", a year if I was not.

Sitting in a South African jail for a year didn't sound so good. They told me the army would come by every week looking for volunteers. The war was on and they needed people. So I volunteered for the reserve. My plan was to get trained, get discharged into the reserve, take my pay and resume my interrupted tour of the country. That was the plan anyways...:))
        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

9 mother fooookin 11. Couldn't join when it first happened because I was the guy who took care of the streets at night; cops didn't really like me. After hearing too many stories of Taliban doing this and that, and hearing alot of our guys dying, it really pissed me off. I joined ONLY to go and fight against the Taliban. The position I applied for was full, so I got the next most dangerous job, maybe more dangerous than the first one; because of my age and intellect (yes I scored high on the aptitude test and went to college) they tried to get me to apply for a technical job, but I wanted to face Taliban and AQ. Good luck to me and god bless me because I'm going to bring HELL to Taliban.

Comment

Well , at the tender impressionable age of 17 i had the usual father son arguments ,and so i hit the road , i ended up in Carlisle where i had relatives , my cousin who was in was on leave and dressed in his uniform making the most of it and impressing the ladies ;) so the next day i was down to the recruiting office , got my soldiers bible , the queens shilling and shipped off to Catterick , joined 1RTR and the rest is history , yes i would do it all again , but with the benefit of hindsight i would do things slightly differently , the bad times were far outweighed by the good times , and the friendships forged with some guys,n gals, still endured today and forever more ,i made some enemies as well , and they sure as hell wont be forgotten either , but, i wouldnt have missed it for the world :)
            Last edited by tankie; 26 Sep 09,, 12:00.

Comment

I was out of school for 1 1/2 years when I decided to join the AF. I had wanted to go to college and major in music but my parents wouldn't support me. My dad had wanted me to be a dental hygenist, but I couldn't see having my fingers in people's mouths all day! So, I went to the Navy recruiter office and stood there for about 10 minutes before someone finally asked if they could help me. I thought for a moment, and said no thanks, and went next door to the AF recruiter. When I told my parents what I had done, my dad said I wouldn't make it in the AF because I was too stubborn and didn't like to have people tell me what to do. lol So, every time I reenlisted, I mailed a copy of my reenlistment contract home with a big smiley face on it. Of course they attended my retirement ceremony. My dad has a lot more respect for me now!
              “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
              "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
              sigpic

Comment

These are some great stories!

Of course making a beer run and ending up in a foreign Army takes the cake so far, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                  That was the plan anyways...:))
                  How long did you end up staying?
                  Aut vincere aut mori

Comment

Originally posted by silentsam View Post
                    How long did you end up staying?
                    Before I could get discharged I got in more trouble. I had to extend for a year, making it 19 months.
                    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Always wanted to be a soldier, Father, Brother in the Air Forces, endless cousins and Uncles in the Royal Marines. A Marine Cadet for about six years. I dearly wanted to become a Royal Marine Commando, unfortunately my Mother wouldn't sign me up, I was under 16 at the time. She wanted me to go in the Royal Navy or Air Force. I said Marines or Army. She finally relented and agreed to the Army. Off I went for my entrance Exams. Got offered a few things, had to go back and speack to Mum so she would agree on my career choice. First choice, Paras (No way says Mum), second choice, Infantry (No way), third choice Ammunition Technician ("Oh Technician says Mum, go for that, what do they"? "Bomb Disposal", I say, "No way" says Mum). Eventually got down to 'Armoured Corps', she gave up and said yes. At least I got to fight, and loved every minute of it. Went to the Junior Leaders Regiment in Bovington for 18 months, bit like a Military College (Maths, English, German, Ballistics, Radio, Military History and all the Militart stuff). Joined my Unit and 22 years later had to retire, what a bummer.

Comment

Hated having a 9 to 5 desk job and wanted to do something different with my life other than sit behind a desk!
                        I wish there was something deeper behind my decision but there really wasn't lol

Comment

Lots of reasons... boredom after I dropped out of university, I suppose a sense of adolescent inadequacy that compelled me to "prove myself", desire to travel, always looked up to the Military, also I figured since I kept arguing that the first world should keep their word and stick it out in Afghanistan, it seemed wrong for me to endorse a war if I was just sitting around getting hammered at uni parties. So yeah, that'd be it. Glad I've done it so far, might not think the same once I've actually done it for real though...

Comment

I didn't have anything better to do and I liked the free food. Isn't that why everyone joins???
                            Si Uis Pacem Para Bellum
                            Pax Per Potens

Comment

Originally posted by Capsoda View Post
                              I didn't have anything better to do and I liked the free food. Isn't that why everyone joins???
                              Yeah those MREs and LRRPs are hard to beat.....NOT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X