Is it too early to start inquiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too early to start inquiring?

Is it too early for a college freshman to start inquiring about OCS for ether the Army or Marine Corps?

The reason I ask this is because I'm pretty certain I want to apply for OCS for ether of those branches and I was wondering should I start asking around now or wait until my junior or senior year of college/university?

The problem with ROTC if anyone may ask is that at the school I'm going to be going to they only offer Air Force ROTC.

Thank you for any opinions on this matter,:)

Either!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
      Is it too early for a college freshman to start inquiring about OCS for ether the Army or Marine Corps?

The reason I ask this is because I'm pretty certain I want to apply for OCS for ether of those branches and I was wondering should I start asking around now or wait until my junior or senior year of college/university?

The problem with ROTC if anyone may ask is that at the school I'm going to be going to they only offer Air Force ROTC.

Thank you for any opinions on this matter,:)
      Check and see if there's an agreement to do ROTC at another nearby campus. Most universities have these agreements, even if they don't have ROTC at their particular campus.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

You can start doing the Marine OCS during summer if you're a college student.

Since I myself am planning on the Army, it means that I will have to wait until after graduation.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
          You can start doing the Marine OCS during summer if you're a college student.

Since I myself am planning on the Army, it means that I will have to wait until after graduation.
          The USMC has a program called the Platoon Leaders Course (PLC) Junior course. Basically, they take the standard 10 week OCS course for college graduates and split it up over two summers, 6 weeks each. The bad part about the program is that you have to go twice. Which really sucks.

The good part is that you start your service clock as soon as you begin the first PLC summer course. By the time you get your commission, you are considered to have (on average) 3 years of seniority for pay purposes. A 2ndLt with 3 years in-service doesn't make a lot more than a 2ndLt with 1 year in-service. THere is a big difference when you are a Capt or Maj. I cannot remember if the time counts towards retirement, but it may (another huge bonus if it does.)

ROTC on the other hand can pay for your tuition, books, etc. However the time you accumulate in ROTC does NOT count towards your service time. If you do not plan on making the Service a career, ROTC is a better short term in a financial sense. OCS is better financially over the long term.

Decide which service is for you, both have their good/bad points. It is almost never to early to start talking to your local OSO (officer recruiter).

Comment

Working...
          X