I'm Going For A Navy Comission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Going For A Navy Comission

Well, I am about to finish my Ph.D, a point where I promised myself I would apply for Commission as an Officer of Naval Intelligence. I've got the recommendation of several senior ranking Navy intel officers for the slot.

The Navy has long held a special place in my heart, espcially Strategic Intelligence but I also want to get into operational/ battlefield intelligence, especially counterinsurgency with field ground units. I know the Navy has the Individual Augmentee program, but the officers I work with are in Strategic Intelligence and are not familiar with the work of intel guys in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Can you tell me of your experiences with navy intel officers operating with ground forces in the AORs in nontraditional navy intel tasks? I'm trying to get an idea of how often this actually occurs.

Well, my congratulations for one and do your worst!

Comment

A fascinating career choice. Although I served in the Navy I cannot offer you any insights. Hoisting you a toast for success.:)
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
        ........Can you tell me of your experiences with navy intel officers operating with ground forces in the AORs in nontraditional navy intel tasks? I'm trying to get an idea of how often this actually occurs.
        Generally....................no. Two primary reasons. First of all, that wasn't my line of work.....and if it was, I probably shouldn't talk about it.

Generally, to me, there are no nontraditional navy intel tasks since it falls into such a large area of what is intel to begin with. There is what I have said in the other post, http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...t=50016&page=3, so you might consider that.

Three suggestions. First of all, know as much as you can about your line of work though the sources you may learn from may not be confirmed. I impressed many a superior, both Navy and allied, by knowing in minute detail things about their organizations, their systems. Such as when a briefer was talking about the first USN SSN production class, the Skipjack (they weren't).

Secondly, know a lot about a neutral subject that you might use to strike up a conversation with someone, to become their 'friend' in that you two now have something in common. With American men, that's usually sports.

Finally, study and learn so you aren't seeing things from an American point of view but from another, preferably their own or at the very least, so they don't see you as they expect to see most Americans.

Now, should you be an enemy agent who is trying to gather information, you can rest assure that none of the above is classified nor does it violate opsec. Further, they are well known tactics, if a little bit dated.

Additional: something I found later on tonight. In the three examples at INTERPOL: http://www.interpol.int/public/ICPO/...background.asp .................... learn to think like that, in the means they used to find the offenders.
        ("We got to talking about jazz, about how we liked our string players, and suddenly we were friends. Then the call came down to do something nasty to me and he paced around muttering to himself and then out of the blue, hit me over the head with a blackjack and next thing I knew, I was waking up outside the hospital with him saying it was the kindest thing he could do. I believe him."--Leiter relating to 007 about his encounter with Mr. Big's man, (w,stte), Book: Live and Let Die)
        Last edited by SnowLeopard; 17 Apr 09,, 09:56.

Comment

I'm sure we will all Splice the mainbrace with Equilibrium and wish him a long and successful career.

Comment

Well, I am about to finish my Ph.D, a point where I promised myself I would apply for Commission as an Officer of Naval Intelligence. I've got the recommendation of several senior ranking Navy intel officers for the slot.

Congratulations.

If your good can we call you "Cracker Jack"
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
              Congratulations.

If your good can we call you "Cracker Jack"
              :)):));)
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

The Navy has long held a special place in my heart, espcially Strategic Intelligence but I also want to get into operational/ battlefield intelligence, especially counterinsurgency with field ground units. I know the Navy has the Individual Augmentee program, but the officers I work with are in Strategic Intelligence and are not familiar with the work of intel guys in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Can you tell me of your experiences with navy intel officers operating with ground forces in the AORs in nontraditional navy intel tasks? I'm trying to get an idea of how often this actually occurs.
                Congrads Equilibrium! Best of luck and I join in toasting your sucess.:)
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

The Navy has long held a special place in my heart, espcially Strategic Intelligence but I also want to get into operational/ battlefield intelligence, especially counterinsurgency with field ground units.
                  I was Navy Intel from 1986-2000, enlisted.

If you are interested in the romantic side of ground intelligence, I suggest the Army or Marine Corp or even the CIA.

While there is intelligence support for SEAL's teams, Embassies and a few other coveted billets. Most Naval intel personel go to ships. :)

When I first joined, many people thought they were going to be James Bond, half of the intel community was book worms and the other half were want to be SEAL's.

Intelligence is a support job, an administrative job. The Intel guy who went on a mission with his SEAL unit is the rare exception. The guy who stole anechoic coating off of a Soviet submarine is a long time ago.

You are more then likely to end up in a Squadron, CVN or one of the several Intelligence Facilities supporting the fleet.

Comment

Good luck young man ;)

Comment

Do PhD officer candidates go in as an O-2 or O-3?
                      F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Best of luck, a very good career choice. It wont all be good but stick with it, I am sure it will be worth it.
                        Nulli Secundus
                        People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Congratulations on this new direction.
                          Aut vincere aut mori

Comment

Congrats and good luck
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes and advice everyone!

When I first joined, many people thought they were going to be James Bond, half of the intel community was book worms and the other half were want to be SEAL's.
                              I don't expect to be Jack Ryan helping Russian or Chinese officers defect or to be Commander Bond and acquire the plans for the latest PLAN sub

Do PhD officer candidates go in as an O-2 or O-3
                              I'm supposed to find out next week.

Three suggestions. First of all, know as much as you can about your line of work though the sources you may learn from may not be confirmed. I impressed many a superior, both Navy and allied, by knowing in minute detail things about their organizations, their systems. Such as when a briefer was talking about the first USN SSN production class, the Skipjack (they weren't).

Finally, study and learn so you aren't seeing things from an American point of view but from another, preferably their own or at the very least, so they don't see you as they expect to see most Americans.
                              I agree with you 100%

I have heard a lot however, of the Individual Augmentee program where sailors are being sent as specialized reinforcements to Marine and Army units. I'm hoping that I do get that opportunity to put into practice the COIN studies and analysis I've done in my current professional and academic capacity.

Hopefully soon, the honoric of "military professional" will rest under my screen name!!

Comment

Working...
                              X