Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compensation for troops in europe due to weak $?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compensation for troops in europe due to weak $?

I was wondering if us troops stationed in the €-Zone are getting any compensation or help since the dollar has been quite for a pretty long time which means quite a big loss of buying power for everyone who lives (and/or is stationed) in Europe but gets payed in us dollars. In a short period of time one can compensate this buy being a bet more carfule with your money but since this has been going on for several years now I would not be surprised that esspecially those who brought their family with them (or founded one here) are quite hurting in the financial sector.

So there my question: Due they receive any help from above? After all it is not like they simply can move back to the us where their dollars would be worth more again.

uhm could a mod be so friendly and change the titel from ""due weak €" to "due weak $"

sorry for bothering, but I can't change the titel with an simple user edit.

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
    I was wondering if us troops stationed in the -Zone are getting any compensation or help since the dollar has been quite for a pretty long time which means quite a big loss of buying power for everyone who lives (and/or is stationed) in Europe but gets payed in us dollars. In a short period of time one can compensate this buy being a bet more carfule with your money but since this has been going on for several years now I would not be surprised that esspecially those who brought their family with them (or founded one here) are quite hurting in the financial sector.

So there my question: Due they receive any help from above? After all it is not like they simply can move back to the us where their dollars would be worth more again.

uhm could a mod be so friendly and change the titel from ""due weak " to "due weak $"

sorry for bothering, but I can't change the titel with an simple user edit.
    Tarek,

The housing allowance is adjusted monthly to reflect current (monthly) exchange rates and there is a cost of living adjustment. I don't know how much this absorbs the shock of a very weak dollar, but it should cushion it some. Two other factors help: 1) service members are rationed gasoline at pre-tax prices, and so it's very cheap to travel and 2) the goods at the post exchange are priced in dollars at the same price as in the US (this won't hold for 220/240V goods which won't work so well in the US or other local goods such as Polish pottery or beer steins procured locally, etc.).

It's not as fun as living in Europe when the dollar is king (such as during the mid-80s or right before I left in 2000) and so you can live more like a king, but it won't put you in the poor house.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Working...
    X