Are we really "Army Strong?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
    Whats important to remember is that since the 50's all of you army guys have been essentially useless, you are just there to fight limited engagements and that in any real conflict us wise elisted personal will send up the missiles and our officers to kill everyone and everything as we sit in our hardened shelters hoping to hell that 1. we brought enough women into the shelters
    Maxor,
    What's scary about this post is that I had a classmate who cross-commissioned into the Air Force and then made a stink about silo duty because of the assignment of women which would be too tempting and violate his religion. He was a good kid, but I found it to be too much for me. I guess I never spent enough time in a silo . . .
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by osage18 View Post
      If it is high-intensity conflict, then Hell No. We are not.
      That scares the hell out of me.

I know. Yours didn't happen.
      You can thank God for that but that's neither here nor there. You were measuring yourself against our yardstick and all I did was to show you our yardstick.

I guess we'll never know.
      I was hoping for a better answer becaue come hell or highwater, you will be require to hold off two army groups.

It might not be.
      You may very well be right but the point is, can you make do?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        That scares the hell out of me.

I was hoping for a better answer becaue come hell or highwater, you will be require to hold off two army groups.
        Sir,

At the small unit level, the capability is there right now. The problem is that OIF and OEF have been fought from fixed site HQs without the need for highly synchronized higher level staff actions. These muscles have atrophied without CTC rotations dedicated to the high intensity fight (however, small units have fough highly intense battles).

Another five years without a break in DEP/OPTEMPO and there will be problems, essentially all the NCOs (and officers) with the gunnery know how that could jump start the high intensity training at the drop of a hat will be retiring or too far up the chain to be able to mentor the soldiers and junior-to-mid-level NCOs that didn't grow up living from gunnery training cycle to gunnery training cycle. At this point, the ramp up to successful gunnery rotations, staff exercises, jumping TOCs, etc., will be very steep.

We'll have to call some of you ol' farts back onto active duty :))
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

I am seeing Guard and Reserve Units on their second deployment here in Iraq. They have the edge but for the life of me, I am believing that some of these units have lost their will to look like they care. Iraq was won because the people believed we would turn it around and that we cared enough to stay. Afghanistan is a different story.

We "Old Farts" are taking care of the troops, mentally, physically, and psychologically, supervising guard forces, and bring the "beans and bullets" to the troops. Some of us are armed and some are not but in any case, we are here to support the effort. Some removed the IED materials from the numerous ammunition supply depots that Saddam had scattered throughout Iraq; some of those contractors died doing it too.

Maxor,

While I understand it was to be a joke, it just was not funny to me. My two children, age 28 and 30 are in the Air Force and I understand it is a much better quality of life than that of the grunt and I support their decisions to join the Air Force. But make no bones about it, most of the folks in the Air Force are not "warriors." PJ's, CCT's and fighter pilots are the tip of the spear but without the REMF's they could not do their jobs. Actually, that is the function that many contractors and what they do to support the current theater of operations in Iraq.
          Last edited by JOgershok; 01 Apr 09,, 09:25.
          J. J. Ogershok, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
            Maxor,
            What's scary about this post is that I had a classmate who cross-commissioned into the Air Force and then made a stink about silo duty because of the assignment of women which would be too tempting and violate his religion. He was a good kid, but I found it to be too much for me. I guess I never spent enough time in a silo . . .
            Sounds like his faith was sorely lacking. 1 Corinthians 10:13
            No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. NIV
            J. J. Ogershok, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by JOgershok View Post
              Maxor,

While I understand it was to be a joke, it just was not funny to me. My two children, age 28 and 30 are in the Air Force and I understand it is a much better quality of life than that of the grunt and I support their decisions to join the Air Force. But make no bones about it, most of the folks in the Air Force are not "warriors." PJ's, CCT's and fighter pilots are the tip of the spear but without the REMF's they could not do their jobs. Actually, that is the function that many contractors and what they do to support the current theater of operations in Iraq.
              I am right around their age (27) and did an enlistment with them then worked as a contractor along side them for a few years. I was making the joke about airforce personal as one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
                I am right around their age (27) and did an enlistment with them then worked as a contractor along side them for a few years. I was making the joke about airforce personal as one of them.
                Sorry, it just did not come across that way.
                J. J. Ogershok, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                X