No announcement yet.

Back in the game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations and enjoy your rest, but, just to be a bit of a git 'why didn't you join to Irish Guards instead of the Royal Irish?';)
    May not be up the Coldstream standards but they are still Guards
    Nulli Secundus
    People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Well done! You have successfully passed one of the milestones life. Enjoy leave!
      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
        It's good to see your doing so well. I did tell you to get fit before you joined. So, Health and Safety has reached the Armed Forces. OMG whatever next..ladders for tanks in case someone chips a nail:)) I must admit that 6 months has flown over, so you go and enjoy that months leave. Keep in touch!:) and out of lumber in the Smoke
        You are not far off the truth there Mr. Lukins. Troop level recovery is done by video in case someone gets injured doing it. It turns out that they get injured when they do it for the first time. :)

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid View Post
          Maybe the Parachute Regiment is your calling then?
          To be honest I might have considered it but I only had so much time to get ready since I was living on borrowed time financially (London is f--king expensive). As for now I was rather turned off by the way they deal with others, especially ordering their recruits to ignore NCOs from all other Regiments rather than bracing up to them as a sign of respect. I even saw some of their guys trying to get away with not saluting Officers from other capbadges.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiny Capstar View Post
            Congratulations and enjoy your rest, but, just to be a bit of a git 'why didn't you join to Irish Guards instead of the Royal Irish?';)
            May not be up the Coldstream standards but they are still Guards
            No offense, but I hate drill. Then again that could have been more to do with me being forced to do Light Drill since I was in a Rifles platoon.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
              To be honest I might have considered it but I only had so much time to get ready since I was living on borrowed time financially (London is f--king expensive). As for now I was rather turned off by the way they deal with others, especially ordering their recruits to ignore NCOs from all other Regiments rather than bracing up to them as a sign of respect. I even saw some of their guys trying to get away with not saluting Officers from other capbadges.
              All I can say is that the NCOs' concerned were more than a little weak if they allowed that to happen.

However they are a special bunch of guys. You would have come across them at Catterick when you underwent your Basic Infantry Training of 14 weeks. These guys have already attended Phase 1 - Common Military Syllabus - PARA, 14 weeks at the Army Training Regiment in Litchfield. The then go onto Phase 2 - at the 10 - 11 week period they are then introduced to 'P' Company, if they pass they are awarded their Maroon Beret. After that they go off to RAF Brize Norton for Parachute Training, 8 jumps and they are awarded their wings and are fully fledged Paras.

That is why they call all other Units C**p Hats.

Comment

Glad to see you are well.
                Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
                  First Health and Safety...now this. Are you being paid by my wife to give me more heart attacks:)) Their feet wouldn't have touched the ground:)

Comment

Hi Spoonman, if you don't mind me asking, how long was the wait from online application and submission to the first day you step into Catterick? and incidentally, what stages were there to go through?

Comment

Originally posted by LongshotSNN View Post
                      Hi Spoonman, if you don't mind me asking, how long was the wait from online application and submission to the first day you step into Catterick? and incidentally, what stages were there to go through?
                      Go here and do the work yourself.

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/Pages/HomePage.aspx

Comment

I've already went through that and trawled through the section on ARRSE dedicated to answering recruits' and new joiners' questions as well. The links on the MOD website such as asking for a information pack for an interested person from overseas and all that....? I got a dead link everytime I tried "submit".

Addendum: Incidentally, that was before I realised that the individual corps and regiments' homepages had more detailed information on joining age limits.
                        Last edited by LongshotSNN; 18 Dec 08,, 06:29. Reason: extra input

Comment

I went to do my Oath yesterday and thought of Spoon when I was there, been a while since I have seen you knocked around.

Glad everything went well for you mate.
                          Last edited by VarSity; 18 Dec 08,, 11:29.

Comment

Sounds great, Spoonman. :)
                            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Good for you mate!

I think I may have a buddy in your Regiment. He is South African and his name is Yan. Long shot I know but he's been in for about three years or so now and may have moved on.

Good luck buddy.
                              Originally posted by GVChamp
                              College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X