Am I... unfit for service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I... unfit for service?

I posted here a little while ago about my RMC aspirations, i'm sure some of you remember... today I got said aspirations shot down by a recruiting officer.

He said I was unfit for service. Why? Because I chose the ResForce for a career. Why this? Because there are things I wish to do outside the Forces, primarily i'd like to be a teacher. Is this so bad? According to this particular recruiting officer, yes. If I recall correctly, these were his words.

"The Army has no use for someone with divided goals. If you're not devoted wholly to the Army, then you're unfit for service. Son, I think you're no good for the Army. Go to university, get a degree, become a teacher, do whatever. But I don't think you'll ever be a soldier,"

I just... I'd like a second opinion, from some servicemen who maybe don't think that the Army should be the only life you have, even if you're only a Reservist. From what I can tell, plenty of Reserve servicemen and women have second jobs outside of the Army.

I mean, I get get good grades. The RMC website says that you need to at least be good enough to be admitted to any regular university in your province to academically qualify for RMC, so I've got that well covered. I've checked the physical standards, and I can certainly fulfill them. I've been in Air Cadets for four years, and I will be in for another two years, i'm working towards a pilot's license through Air Cadets, I'm instructing younger Cadets, I'm gaining a lot of leadership abilities through Cadets. Am I really unfit for the Army?

Seems a little strange to me, but I'm not Canadian. In Britain we have reserve forces all of which come from real diverse careers, Lawyers, bankers, teachers etc. Perhaps go ask 'Officer of Engineers', he will put you on the straight and narrow. He spoke to you before about this I believe. Good luck.

Comment

HN, not doubting your word, however I find this very difficult to believe, I am asuming you applied to the Canadian Forces and you are in good physical health?.
      I would suggest if you are serious in your endevours to join resfor first, try another recruitment area.maybe caught the recruiter on a bad day, or just a bad recruiter who knows.
      I do not think your ambitions and goals are that unigue nowadays. Of course OoE, and other Canadian servicemen on board can give you more practical advice than I.
      Do not be disheartened I am sure this will resolve itself for you.
      Good luck.........FEAR NAUGHT
      sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Son, enrollment to RMC is reserved for the regforce. You want to goto RMC, it has to be regforce.

Comment

And there is your answer. Clear as rain.

Comment

hey trust me HN, do not let your dreams die just alter them , besides you would have a lot more fun in the Ranks for awhile ..............get what you want, transfer to Regforce complete your goals.............that allowed that way OoE Sir?
            Last edited by T_igger_cs_30; 24 Nov 08,, 05:25. Reason: oopsy
            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

This being said, the ball is now in your court. If you still want to do this and now is prepared to do regforce, then you have to go back to your recruiter and show how determined you are. Show him the rules and show him that you qualify. If he refuses you again, then ask him why? Ask him what must you do to convince him that you want and deserve to goto RMC.

You now have to show him that you will dedicate 100% to the Army with the goal of being a teacher later on. After all, your primary goal at RMC is a degree. Get your degree. Serve the army. Then decide afterwards.

If you want the RESO path, then, you go through civilian university for that. Join your local regiment while going through university. You will be commissioned as an Officer Cadet until you get your degree.

Comment

BTW, you have two years to go. IIRC, you don't go through the recruiter to apply for RMC. You apply directly through your highschool in your final year. They will come back to you with further requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by RMC website, under Admission Entry Plans
                  Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP)
                  The purpose of the Reserve Entry Training Plan is to educate and train selected Primary Reserve candidates at the Royal Military College of Canada. Successful candidates will become officers in the Reserve Force or may be considered for transfer into the Regular Force. Up to 15 students may be accepted each year as "Reserve Entry" cadets. Reserve Entry cadets receive the same education and training as ROTP cadets. However, RETP academic training is not subsidized and candidates are required to pay tuition and other academic fees and room and board. RETP candidates are required to take summer training for which they receive pay and allowances at the same rate as a Second Lieutenant on "Class B" reserve service. (refer to any Canadian Forces Recruiting Center for the current rate of pay and allowances)
                  Has something been changed since the RMC website wrote that?

I'm beginning to think I should go to the RegForce, things would be so much simpler that way. Subsidized education, the five six years at least after college all tied down, no uncertainty. After my five years, I could always transfer to the ResForce, if possible, then go on with my plan on being a Reserve officer and teacher.

Comment

Son,

The RETP is even more restrictive than regular entry. It is for people determined to become officers when they could not do it otherwise. Most of the time, these are the kids of career officers who just could not make it to RMC normally (ie, transfering back from overseas and hence, the qualifications are not just right). They go through the RETP in hopes of transfering to the REGFORCE after graduation.

The RETP guys I knew were rockets and they did their 4 year service and then some.

Comment

Son,

What do you want?

Comment

Well, it sounds like you have it figured out, and as such have a very good head on your shoulders! I wish you the best in life HN!

Comment

First off, I wouldn't worry about too much about not knowing EXACTLY what you want at this point. I didn't really know what I wanted to do all throughout university - the military was always in the back of my mind but I ended up doing what I knew I was good at in school, not necessarily what I wanted to do. In the end, it didn't matter so much. I went into the Navy through the Direct Entry Officer (DEO) program about a year and a half after graduating. I wouldn't give up my experiences at Civvie U for anything, although I will admit that I don't enjoy paying back my student loan...

Originally posted by HoratioNelson View Post
                          I'm beginning to think I should go to the RegForce, things would be so much simpler that way. Subsidized education, the five six years at least after college all tied down, no uncertainty. After my five years, I could always transfer to the ResForce, if possible, then go on with my plan on being a Reserve officer and teacher.
                          Sounds like a good plan. Just something to think about, however: You may not want to start over as a teacher after reaching Capt/Lt(N) IPC 3 or 4 pay, plus PLD (depending on where you posted). I think at that point you'd be looking at a 50% paycut starting out as a teacher (I've looked into it myself... And yes, the Canadian military is paid much, much better than the general public think!).

At this point in your life, however, there are lots of options available to you.

1. You could go RMC.
                          2. You could go to another university but apply for the ROTP program, and have the military pay for it.
                          3. You could go to another university and join the reserves - you won't have your whole education subsidized, but you will get an extra $2000 per year for up to four years to help pay for it (provided you graduate, I believe).
                          4. You could just go to university, get your teacher's degree, and change your mind and go DEO (like me). We had a few ex-teachers in basic - recruiters apparently love degrees in education. Officers all have to be educators to a certain degree.

Know also that you're not alone in having bad experiences with the CF recruiting process. I suspect, however, that he was speaking within the context of attending RMC.

You might want to look at joining a cadet corps in your area, btw. At your age (16?) you'll be older than the other new ones but it looks good on an RMC application, or so I've been told.

Comment

Working...
                          X