Uniform when not on duty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
    he took the opportunity to add several extra medals to his uniform that he was not suppose to be wearing.
    In the UK that would be an offence. Relatives can wear Medals on occasions but to go to a 'Prom' may land you in trouble;)

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
      Except for the circumstances, a good story that shows both sides of the coin. There may be hope yet. So have you joined the VFW? Just FYI, there are many organizations that help vets and thier families. If your a biker there is Rolling Thunder and Patriot Guard. I recommend all since I belong to all three.;)

I'm a life member of the VFW, & even though I can't afford my dream Harley as of yet (4 growing kids can do that to your bank account!), I am also a member of the Patriot Guard. I have friends who are in Rolling Thunder--most of them retired USAF officers. & I'm a member of BACA. Have you heard of it?

From what I recall, the bottom-line for the "proper" times & places for uniform wear off-duty were based upon these two criteria: 1) while wearing the uniform, you must always remember that your outward appearance shows you to be representing your service--therefore your speach & actions must also reflect this & 2) as you are representing your Service as you wear the uniform, you should not wear it to situations where you are not representing the Service (such as a political rally, where you are exercising your rights as an individual).

There's also certain "safety" concerns that one should address when deciding when & where to wear the uniform...
      Last edited by Skull6; 30 Dec 08,, 22:54.
      If you know the enemy and yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Skull6 View Post
        I'm a life member of the VFW, & even though I can't afford my dream Harley as of yet (4 growing kids can do that to your bank account!), I am also a member of the Patriot Guard. I have friends who are in Rolling Thunder--most of them retired USAF officers. & I'm a member of BACA. Have you heard of it?
        You bet! BACA brothers are thick here. We usually end up supporting each other often! Most clubs here have the attitude that us "knees in the breeze" types gotta stick together.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
          I wore my Dress uniform in public while home on leave on several occasions. I once took a young lady friend of mine to her prom. Since it was spur of the moment (her and her boyfriend had recently broken up) dress whites were the only option. On that and the several other occasions, I never had a problem.
          What year was that, Johnny?

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
            what year was that, johnny?

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
              In the UK that would be an offence. Relatives can wear Medals on occasions but to go to a 'Prom' may land you in trouble;)
              Its an offense in the US as well. But other than me, no one knew about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull6 View Post

From what I recall, the bottom-line for the "proper" times & places for uniform wear off-duty were based upon these two criteria: 1) while wearing the uniform, you must always remember that your outward appearance shows you to be representing your service--therefore your speach & actions must also reflect this & 2) as you are representing your Service as you wear the uniform, you should not wear it to situations where you are not representing the Service (such as a political rally, where you are exercising your rights as an individual).

There's also certain "safety" concerns that one should address when deciding when & where to wear the uniform...
                Fully agreed with that statement and yes I do know of Bikers Against Child Abuse. Its not that old in Pa but they have been around for sometime amoung others such as ABATE.
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I graduated from High School in my class A greens (1990). I had just returned from Ft. Benning, where I completed split option AIT since I only had to do one semester my senior year and had completed basic training in the summer of 1989. I was so proud of my blue cord, my shiny new crossed-rifles and my solitary "rainbow ribbon"... I did wear cap and gown for the actual ceremony, but immediately afterward I reverted to uniform. To me, the blue cord on my shoulder meant more at the time than the HS diploma. A year after that I returned home from Saudi/Iraq for the first time...I was in the National Guard then, and entered the Regular Army in December of that year.

Comment

I would encourage everyone to read through this entire thread, esp if you have, are, or plan to don the uniform of a fighting man. Times have changed and happily, it seems, for the better. There are some really good stories here that illustrate the good and the bad in people. Thanks to VarSity for starting such a good thread.:)

Comment

I commissioned the day before I graduated from the university, and wore my dress blues instead of the cap and gown. Many, if not most, of the other officers did the same.

I support people wearing a clean, neat uniform correctly out in town, as long as they behave themselves.
                      http://groundpoundingtruth.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                        If you do walk out in uniform young man ,, dont wear it slovenly ,ie , headress on correct , and keep your hands out of your pockets , and DONT walk about pissed , keep that for camp ;)
                        Duly noted, and I'm going through a dry period to try and get some money saved up so I can go away on leave. It's... different, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by rj1 View Post
                          Grew up in a Marine town. It was always explained to me by Marines and Marine Corps veterans that wearing the uniform in public for no professional reason was seen as dishonoring and shaming the uniform.

I know people from other services, primarily the Army, may disagree. But after hearing their reasoning, I agree with the Marines on this.
                          Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                          Never heard that, and don't agree with it. You shame the uniform by wearing it improperly or by your actions.

I agree that the uniform is dishonored by those who act stupid while wearing it in certain locations. There are many private events (non professional) where wearing the uniform would be very appropriate, and would serve to help the image of the Marine Corps (or other service). I recall wearing various uniforms to off-base activities, and never having a problem.
                          Aut vincere aut mori

Comment

I can see myself wearing my No.2's to weddings or funerals in an unofficial capacity, and I gather this is pretty much common practice since this is basically a private environment where you're not going to be making a fool of yourself in front of anyone who didn't already know how much of a fool you are. However I definitely wouldn't turn up to a party at a mate's house in any kind of uniform, not least because I'm sick of repeating the story of how I ended up in the British Army over and over again. In a broader sense I agree that there's no reason why a soldier should feel the need to avoid wearing their uniform in public for anything other than practical security concerns, but I see no reason why one should wander around in combats for no reason either.

More to the point, if we all stay OUT of uniform when off duty, it makes it easier to spot walts who wear desert combats and assault vests around their local high street pretending they just got off the plane from kandahar.

Comment

I got issued my no.2's today, totally love them! I am going 2 wear them to a wedding next month, make all the brides maids weak at the knees!

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
                                I got issued my no.2's today, totally love them! I am going 2 wear them to a wedding next month, make all the brides maids weak at the knees!
                                Make sure you have 'booked' the time off or Sod's Law says you will be on Duty;)

Comment

Working...
                                X