Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Queen's getting another one

Hi all,

It turns out that I must indeed be brain dead because I am popping into a big green office in a couple of days to speak to a big walking bush (Called Captain Gardner… see what I did there… Bush… Garden… I’ll get my coat), hand in my paper work and sit my BARB test for the Army.

I have had a couple of chats before now, and I think I have my choices made. I’ve decided to list them as follows:

1) OPERATING DEPARTMENT PRACTITIONER – With aspirations of joining a more field based team

2) Army Intelligence Corps – Specifically interested in Imagery Intelligence (IMINT)

3) CMT – Combat Medic

I am getting the feeling that this would be my first ‘formal’ chat with the Army, do people think it’s a good idea to wear my best suit? Im constantly in two minds, I want to look professional and serious, but I also don’t want to look like a twit.

Does anyone have any general advice?
    Anyone done these sort of roles and have any words of wizdom?

More specifically I have been told that most people in Army Intelligence speak another language (not sure if this is true with the IMINT roll). Do you think it’s worth trying to learn a few words of say, Arabic, between now and any interview I may have with Intelligence? I was thinking of just learning a few things along the likes of hello, how are you? (Where are the Taliban? ;) tho that would involve learning Pashto I suppose...) more to show willing than anything.
    Do people think that is worth it?
    Last edited by VarSity; 19 May 08,, 12:16.

VarSity, When you go into the Office the person behind the desk will be as smart as the proverbial carrot. They will expect you to be the same;) You will be assessed within the first 10 seconds of opening your mouth. Listen to what is being asked and don't digress or waffle on. Go armed with your intentions and ask the pertinent questions to that. ie. If you wish to join the Artillery don't go on about Tanks or the Paras' ...stick to the point.
    You have a choice of three listed..read up all you can on all of them. Ask questions(lots of them), they are there to listen to what you have to say also..it's two way traffic.

You say you would like the Int Corp..Check your spelling(wizdom!!), no TXT and no Military Abbreviations. If you have a "school language"that would be a bonus. If not and you really want to do that sort of thing there are Military Schools for that purpose. Finally, yes look smart and professional, but don't look too serious, we wouldn't want you to scare that nasty Sergeant Major:))

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
      Finally, yes look smart and professional, but don't look too serious, we wouldn't want you to scare that nasty Sergeant Major:))
      First chat I had went really well. We covered the areas I wanted and I got some paperwork to fill in and was told to come back with it done, and they would have another chat and do my BARB test.

I think I will got for the same things as before, smart casual. A young man came in just after me looking like looking like the king of chav's, and you could just see the WO's face drop!

As for going over my options, they were a massive help. The reason ODP is top of the list is based on their recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
        As for going over my options, they were a massive help. The reason ODP is top of the list is based on their recommendation.

Make sure their recommendation is what you really want. Is there anything on the Computer about it, any sites you can visit for a quick shufty etc. If all is fine with you, and you are happy to go ahead, then the very best of luck to you.:)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          Make sure their recommendation is what you really want. Is there anything on the Computer about it, any sites you can visit for a quick shufty etc. If all is fine with you, and you are happy to go ahead, then the very best of luck to you.:)

Better than that, my best made does the job on the NHS lol.
          Basically I was looking into Nurse, then hitting a couple of other courses and aiming for a more field based career (away from NHS hospitals).

I was told ODP might be a better plan and my friend confirmed everything the recruiter said, so im very happy.

Comment

Well you seemed to have done all the homework, and as you also have "inside" information it does look like it's all done and dusted.

Comment

What you wrote was Greek to me, except that you want to join the fauj.

Jolly good.

The Queen is indeed running short, what ho?

BOLs to you!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Oh BTW, BOLs in my school meant Best of Luck, though Dave has warned no abvns!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                  Oh BTW, BOLs in my school meant Best of Luck, though Dave has warned no abvns!
                  LOL:) Oooops

Comment

Had my BARB test and my first formal interview, went really well and they are happy to put me forward for my choices.

I'm well chuffed :D

Comment

Had my BARB test and my first formal interview, went really well and they are happy to put me forward for my choices.

I'm well chuffed :D
                      Well done VarSity...Good luck in the next round:)

Comment

Thought I would post an update as I had two interviews today and am buzzing with excitement.

Everything when swimmingly and they are more than happy to put me forward for my choices, which have changed rather a lot.

I've decided to make the Intelligence Corps my first choice as I had a long chat with a few Int Corps guys last week in Bassingbourn and they really sold the job to me, as well as many other rolls.
                        Ive decided to put my choices down as follows, Int Corps, Royal Signals (Electronic warfare) and either ODP or possibly radar operator with the Royal Artillery.

What's more I got my first sub 10 min 1.5 mile run time today which was the major milestone I was aiming for so all in all I am well chuffed with today :D

Comment

From my experience, most recruiters don't care what you want, it's what they need to fill. The needs of the Navy in my case.

Those are some diverse choices. I was Navy Intel, I was lucky. I had always wanted to join the Army growing up until the recruiter pissed me off. So I signed up to see the other recruiters, only the Navy recruiter showed up.

She handed me the book, I picked Intel, she said ok. I took the tests walaa! I did go back to the Army office and said, Hey! The Navy is going to give me Intel, will you? They said, no, you'll be a grunt basically. So I went Navy Intel.

Basically what i'm trying to get across is, realize they don't have your wants or needs at heart, they have recruiting quotas they are trying to fill.

Do you have any college under your belt? You could attempt to go straight to WO.

Comment

Thought I would post an update as I had two interviews today and am buzzing with excitement.

I've decided to make the Intelligence Corps my first choice as I had a long chat with a few Int Corps guys last week in Bassingbourn and they really sold the job to me, as well as many other rolls.
                            Ive decided to put my choices down as follows, Int Corps, Royal Signals (Electronic warfare) and either ODP or possibly radar operator with the Royal Artillery.
                            Sorry responded before checking the end of the thread. I was mostly Opintel, but did do SIGINT and IMINT.

OPINTEL = most fun for me

SIGINT = interesting, but not that much of a geek

IMINT = interesting, but not my cup of tea

Comment

oooh just got my date through to do my basic fitness test, its one week from today (12th August!) really excited now!

Also just this second got back from a run, and did some of the gym based stuff right after, feeling really good about it! :D

Comment

Working...
                              X