Against Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Against Iran

Given todays extended deadline (by iran) for responding to the package offered to them in order to stop the enriching of uranium and that if they are exposes to sanctions they will rethink their stance on nuclear technology i have to say that military action again seems likely, not by the un but i suppose a coalition of the willing.

From the usual suspects i expect that to include the following
    uk / usa / isreal (thi time they need to)

france and germany as usual wont take part.
    russia and china will condem it then go back to what they normally do.

can any one else see an alternative path that this will go down?

also what will our responce be?

cruise missiles from the indian ocean or the med
    B2's
    Land forces

just wondering what people think on this subject and the likely out comes
    Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

An eventual war- or a nuke armed Iran- is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by STAN
      also what will our responce be?

cruise missiles from the indian ocean or the med
      B2's
      Land forces
      If it comes to a military response, then you'd better believe that everything including the kitchen sink will be thrown at them.
      TwentyFiveFortyFive

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        Correct. There is nothing that we could reasonably put on the table that will deal them off of their goal.

We'd better get used to that fact.

Comment

and thats when i say thank god the americans put proper money into their armed forces.

i just hope that britain backs it up again on this one. we need to try out our euro fighters.

Comment

and thats when i say thank god the americans put proper money into their armed forces.

i just hope that britain backs it up again on this one. we need to try out our euro fighters.
            They already opted out; we're on our own.

Again.

Comment

the only time you were on your own before was vietnam. uk has been there every other time.
              i guess we might not get in on the iran action due to the anti war lobby (seriously what do they think we have an armed forces for, tree hugging hippy liberal muppets)

i hope we do get in the fight though, shouldnt be solely up to usa to keep the nukes out of mad mens hands

Comment

the only time you were on your own before was vietnam. uk has been there every other time.
                You're right; that was ungrateful and ungracious.

I admit that I allow my opinion of Europeans to be colored by the anti-US stuff I hear and see, and the UK has been absolutely full of it laltely. But at the national level, they've always been there and put a shoulder to the wheel.

But always with the streets full of yobbos hollering about how terrible we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                  Just like the U.S. ;)

Except here they proclaim that they "support the troops" whilst undermining their mission and morale...
                  TwentyFiveFortyFive

Comment

You're right; that was ungrateful and ungracious.

I admit that I allow my opinion of Europeans to be colored by the anti-US stuff I hear and see, and the UK has been absolutely full of it laltely. But at the national level, they've always been there and put a shoulder to the wheel.

There is anti-Americanism in the UK. I think it is only really skin-deep, and coloured by Blair's unpopularity. The impression of Blair essentially being Bush's "female dog" is a hard one to swallow for a nation that is as proud as ours. Coupled with a perception of American "arrogance" and also of American being very gun-ho (the blue-on-blue incidents in GW1 have a part to play in this) this help generate a sense of anti-Americanism.

Get below the surface and most Brits would rather be close to the USA than Europe. I remember the shock felt in the UK after 9/11 which was not feigned. I can understand the resentment many Americans feel - especially the perceived lack of gratitude.

The lack of gratitude again comes down to national pride - we (the French as well) would have prefered to defend ourselves. We failed and thats not easy to live with.
                    More broadly in Europe, although less so in the UK, there is a resentment by some (the so-called "intellectual classes") at American cultural penetration of Europe, as epitomised by McDonalds, Coke and Bud. My view - simply good marketing... lol

Those yobbos - a minority. A vocal one, but a minority. There is greater sympathy in the UK for the US that you realise. I do think that the US needs a "PR" genius, and actually get it's message across in a way that Brits and Europeans are sympathetic to.

First tip - drop the religious style moralising from Bush, that really annoys Europeans...
                    Last edited by PubFather; 21 Jul 06,, 18:09.

Comment

They already opted out; we're on our own.

Again.
                      That is unless the Iraqi Shia have the uprising they said they would if action is taken against Iran. Most of the Shiite South is being occupied by British Soldiers.

Comment

Because the havoc Iran can play in world economies by not exporting oil, she appears to be snug as a bug in a rug.

Or else she would have experienced something which is not too pleasant I presume.

International politics is most intriguing!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Laos, South Vietnam, South Korea, the Philippines, Cambodia, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand.

Can't think of any allies off the top of my head in Panama.

**** it lets just make friend with them... close friends...

You want to make a regime really unpopular, make friends with them. Let's bank on the fact everyone hates us.
                          To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                            Because the havoc Iran can play in world economies by not exporting oil, she appears to be snug as a bug in a rug.
                            Sir,

I think that Iran is more of a methane play.

With the World's second largest proven reserves, the failure of Iran to export natural gas might actually be constricting development of World economies.

In the same time frame oil tripled in price per bbl., the price of natural gas per million BTUs was cut in half which gives the Iranians--as well as the Russians and Qataris (@50% of the World's proven reserves between the lot of 'em)--a great deal of leverage when we consider the demand projections of the EU3 as well as the Japanese, South Koreans and a few other interested parties.

Natural gas is a vital feedstock in key industries among the United States' potential allies and this will bring them to Tehran sooner or later with hat in hand under Iranian terms...unless they wish to deal on Mr. Putin's terms, that is.

Essentially, I suppose that is the crux of the matter a few years out as the architecture of the 21'st Century is decided: do we (speaking as an American, at any rate) want a bunch of countries with whom we have close business and political ties to be cash customers of the Iranians or dragged into varying orbits around a resurgent Russia?

I am of the opinion that the Iranians can be dealt with regardless of the trash spewing from Mr. Ahmadinejad's mouth as supreme power in Iran, AFAIK, lies elsewhere and that supreme power understands Iran's Supreme Interests, I suspect.

At this point, given the investment of technical, political and financial capital in nuclear matters, I think that Iran is going to have a more robust nuclear program as the leadership has essentially promised that to the people. I think it extremely desirable that Iran not have full control of the nuclear fuel cycle and even more desirable that they not join the ranks of the nuclear armed.

There is room for both parties to maneuver but only if we stop playing fools by continuing to rely on a Washington-New York-London-Paris-Berlin-Tehran Axis of Incompetence.

Hope this finds you and yours well,

William
                            Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Originally posted by Swift Sword
                              I am of the opinion that the Iranians can be dealt with regardless of the trash spewing from Mr. Ahmadinejad's mouth as supreme power in Iran, AFAIK, lies elsewhere and that supreme power understands Iran's Supreme Interests, I suspect.

William
                              William, for the love of GOD, man, WHY will you not see this for what it is? I realize it is an inconvenient truth (to coin a phrase), but WHY do you continue to insist that this is either mere rhetoric, or that the Iranian's leader really isn't in charge, or that we're all just having a bad dream?

Please review your pre-WWII history, particularly the parts that the British Foreign Office bureaucrats and time-serving office-holders and professionals-of-long-standing in the government just could not - WOULD not - believe that Hitler and Mussolini meant what they said, and ask yourself if you could be playing - no, REplaying - those parts. You are a perfect foil for the New Hitler, and I am absolutely dismayed that a man like yourself wants to be 1936 Labour and not 1938 Tory at a time like this. It's so dam' obvious, and it frustrates me so dam' much.

So, we're to deal with them, are we? On what basis? As a state sponsor of terror (the undisputed #1 in that field, actually)? As a belligerant in all but legal terms in our difficult and vital war in Iraq? As a determined adversary that is going hell-for-leather toward nuclear weapons, while claiming they are not? Where do you start in negotiations?

You think the Iranians do NOT understand their own self-interest? OF COURSE THEY DO. And they believe that we will not have the resolve to stop them, and once they cross the finish line, even if the Evil Reagan himself is reincarnated, there's not a dam' thang any enemy anywhere can do to stop their hegemony in the region, and that the regime will endure. And if they're REALLY evil, and I believe they are, then they can arm a proxy to destroy the hated Zionist entity, once and for all, and usher in the Daar es Salaam. Or they can do it themselves, and trust that Allah and the Hidden Imam will protect them and win the war for them.

PLEASE believe that he means what he says. You and everybody else that can't accept that had better think about the LAST TIME a guy that uttered mad things wasn't taken seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X