Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shek: Some mundane questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane demands a certain level of craziness.....
    Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

    -- Larry Elder

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by smilingassassin
      Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane demands a certain level of craziness.....
      No, it only requires gravity
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

      Comment


      • #48
        For a reluctant few it may require gravity and a swift kick in the ass.

        LOL.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by M21Sniper
          For a reluctant few it may require gravity and a swift kick in the ass.

          LOL.
          No - you just ratchet them to the cargo ramp and deliver them to the CO for an article 15, proceeded by the 1SG ripping the wings off their chest.

          Reminds me of a GREAT story one of my SSGs told when I was a PL. He grew up in 3/75 until SSG, and then came to Italy for a tour. Anyways, his SL (when my SL was a private) told them about his Panama experience. He was supposed to jump in, but about a minute out while everyone was hooked up, the formation started taking ground fire and he got hit in the leg or somewhere where he wasn't in any condition to jump and fight. He screamed out "I'M HIT!!!!" and unhooked from the static line so the Rangers behind him could jump.

          Well, in the confusion of the fire, the noise from having the doors open, and the general adrenaline rush, the Rangers around him thought he yelled "I QUIT!!!!" So, word got around that this SL was a jump refusal and they were talking sh!t about him for the weeks that they were in Panama. So, when they returned to Benning, they expected that the Black Chinook would have taken him and that they wouldn't even find a trace of him (since a jump refusal would mean automatically being kicked out of Ranger Regiment in disgrace). Well, they didn't know what to make of it when they saw him on crutches in the company AO when the unit got back. However, they quickly learned why he unhooked, and all was forgiven!
          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

          Comment


          • #50
            Perceptions

            Originally posted by shek
            No - you just ratchet them to the cargo ramp and deliver them to the CO for an article 15, proceeded by the 1SG ripping the wings off their chest.

            Reminds me of a GREAT story one of my SSGs told when I was a PL. He grew up in 3/75 until SSG, and then came to Italy for a tour. Anyways, his SL (when my SL was a private) told them about his Panama experience. He was supposed to jump in, but about a minute out while everyone was hooked up, the formation started taking ground fire and he got hit in the leg or somewhere where he wasn't in any condition to jump and fight. He screamed out "I'M HIT!!!!" and unhooked from the static line so the Rangers behind him could jump.

            Well, in the confusion of the fire, the noise from having the doors open, and the general adrenaline rush, the Rangers around him thought he yelled "I QUIT!!!!" So, word got around that this SL was a jump refusal and they were talking sh!t about him for the weeks that they were in Panama. So, when they returned to Benning, they expected that the Black Chinook would have taken him and that they wouldn't even find a trace of him (since a jump refusal would mean automatically being kicked out of Ranger Regiment in disgrace). Well, they didn't know what to make of it when they saw him on crutches in the company AO when the unit got back. However, they quickly learned why he unhooked, and all was forgiven!
            Interesting how things get perceived. Sometimes you can use it to your advantage. My CO was great at that. Here's an example:

            My first action with my new company was a delaying action against a tank and infantry force in Namibia. I had given the order to retreat when I had a man freeze up and refuse to move. I found myself pistol in hand standing over him shouting that if he didn't move I'd shoot the SOB myself. When I got no reaction I fired a round into the ground next to him to get his attention. He came out of that hole like a rabbit but with a pronounced limp. I nor anyone else had realized he was wounded. The whole platoon was convinced I'd shot him.

            Once the attack was driven off and things quieted down I was called down to the CO who had heard that I had shot one my own men. After questioning both of us privately he realized I really didn't shoot him. The problem was that everyone swore that I had. He thought about it for a minute and said "I think we can use this to our advantage."
            When we were in a place where we could be overheard by everyone he called me to attention and started dressing me down. Inches from my face he yelled "AND IF YOU EVER SHOOT ANOTHER MAN WITHOUT MY PERMISSION I'LL HAVE YOU COURTMARTIALED!". "DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME CORPORAL!". "SIR, YES, SIR!", "I UNDERSTAND SIR", I replied. "UNDERSTAND WHAT, CORPORAL?",yelled the Captain. "I WILL NOT SHOOT A MAN WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION, SIR". At that I was dismissed.

            I had noticed as that as the "new guy" there was a subtle but distinct reluctance to the taking of my orders. That reluctance vanished with my new reputation as the corporal who shot one of his own men. I didn't bother correcting the story. It made life so much easier.
            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

            Comment


            • #51
              I'd like to ask you guys, while you were in Iraq, which guns did you use and which ones do you prefer the most? I heard the AK-47 was actually a more useful weapon than the M-16/M-4 and a friend of mine is considering buying one or the other. Infact I heard soldiers even prefered the old M-14 and M1911 to the more modern issue M-16 and 92FS. Is that really true?

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Insomniac
                I'd like to ask you guys, while you were in Iraq, which guns did you use and which ones do you prefer the most? I heard the AK-47 was actually a more useful weapon than the M-16/M-4 and a friend of mine is considering buying one or the other. Infact I heard soldiers even prefered the old M-14 and M1911 to the more modern issue M-16 and 92FS. Is that really true?
                You use the weapon you are issued, unless you are spec ops, in which case you use one of the weapons that you are issued. In rare instances early in the war, soldiers that were armed only with M9 pistols were authorized by local commanders to use AKs. However, this lasted only through the time it took to get M16s into these soldiers hands. While I never had to use my M4, it works well for the Iraqi environment. Being light and compact, it handles well for CQM, and allows you to add kit (tac light, IR aiming laser, CCO/ACOG) without making the weight punishing. For the times my company did get in a gunfight, it proved as accurate as on the range, and the 5.56mm was capable of killing. As far the M14, it was issued to squad designated marksmen, and when combined with the same Leupold scope as the M24, it did very well in that role.

                However, since your friend is buying his weapon I presume for recreational shooting, it would be best to head on over to the firearms section and ask the question there. Derivative AKs versus quality made AKs are a world of difference, and depending on whether it is for purely recreational purposes, or something that could be used for hunting, etc., will make a difference in what people recommend.
                "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

                Comment


                • #53
                  A corporal eh?

                  I shoulda known....

                  Hehehehe.

                  Insomniac, in the approx $1000 dollar price range if you're buying retail a very-nice used AR-15A4 or CAR-15A4 is the best you'll find in 5.56, and a really-nice used Springfield M-1A is the best you'll find in 7.62.

                  All the HK models are great, but they set you back at least $3,500 bucks even for used weapons. Craziness IMO.

                  I'd check out gunbroker.com for some price comparisons of various models.
                  Last edited by Bill; 09 Apr 06,, 05:17.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by M21Sniper
                    A corporal eh?

                    I shoulda known....

                    Hehehehe.

                    Insomniac, in the approx $1000 dollar price range if you're buying retail a very-nice used AR-15A4 or CAR-15A4 is the best you'll find in 5.56, and a really-nice used Springfield M-1A is the best you'll find in 7.62.

                    All the HK models are great, but they set you back at least $3,500 bucks even for used weapons. Craziness IMO.

                    I'd check out gunbroker.com for some price comparisons of various models.
                    It takes one to know one...LOL

                    How much could a used AK run? I've got friends that bought SKSs and 1k of ammo for $140. That was pre ban however and quality was questionable.
                    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by sappersgt
                      It takes one to know one...LOL

                      How much could a used AK run? I've got friends that bought SKSs and 1k of ammo for $140. That was pre ban however and quality was questionable.
                      AKs are cheap to buy, but definitely not my thing.

                      I consider that weapon to be an affront to everything any self-respecting sniper should stand for...

                      The M-16A2+/M-4 are assault rifles, and not really my thing either. However, while it's true that they both fire a little pusssy round, both are also fairly precise instruments of war, and a skilled shot can blow a fellows brains out with a typical M-16A2+/M-4 at well beyond the maximum range of a typical AK-47, even with iron sights.

                      I like that feature in a weapon.

                      I hate being outranged by nearly every weapons system on the battlefield, which the typical AK74/47/AKM/AKMS, blah, blah, blah is.

                      They are tremendously reliable though, so if that's his thing...
                      Last edited by Bill; 09 Apr 06,, 06:53.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by M21Sniper
                        AKs are cheap, but definitely not my thing.

                        I consider that weapon to be an affront to everything any self-respecting sniper should stand for...
                        I concur. I Zimbabwe I used a scope mounted R-1 (Armscor built FAL) and AP ammo. Incredibly effective in built up areas.

                        I have a Mosin-Nagant I brought home as a war trophy. I had to have the lenses replaced, they were broken by a mortar round-ours.
                        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by sappersgt
                          I concur. I Zimbabwe I used a scope mounted R-1 (Armscor built FAL) and AP ammo. Incredibly effective in built up areas.

                          I have a Mosin-Nagant I brought home as a war trophy. I had to have the lenses replaced, they were broken by a mortar round-ours.
                          The SLR is a fantastic weapon. Heh, plus with the bayonet fixed it's like the modern version of a pike.
                          It is a bit heavy, but hey, it's heavy because it's a big badassed battle rifle, like the M-14 family, my personal favorites.

                          I never was one to gripe about the weight of a weapon cause you 'get what you pay for', so to speak.

                          I biitched about the weight of everything else i had to hump... ;)

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by M21Sniper
                            The SLR is a fantastic weapon. Heh, plus with the bayonet fixed it's like the modern version of a pike.
                            It is a bit heavy, but hey, it's heavy because it's a big badassed battle rifle, like the M-14 family, my personal favorites.

                            I never was one to gripe about the weight of a weapon cause you 'get what you pay for', so to speak.

                            I biitched about the weight of everything else i had to hump... ;)
                            The R-1 used a special mounting bracket for the scope that made it shock sensitive and hard to keep zeroed. We carried it around in a shock proof case.

                            We had a standoff once where the bad guys were holed up in the police station\post office and had us pinned in the square with an MG in a dormer window. That R-1 punched holes through whatever cover there was. I got the MG by aiming about a foot below the window sill.
                            Last edited by sappersgt; 09 Apr 06,, 09:37.
                            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X