Iran test-fires stealth missile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran test-fires stealth missile

Saturday, April 01, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

Iran test-fires stealth missile

TEHRAN: Iran’s Revolutionary Guards on Friday successfully test fired a home-made missile which can evade radar, state television reported.

“Iran successfully test fired a home-made Fajr-3 missile,” Hossein Salami, a senior Revolutionary Guards commander, was quoted as saying on state television. The missile was tested as part of a week of naval wargames that started on Friday and were due to take place in the Gulf and Sea of Oman. Previous models of the Fajr range of missiles have been described as a land-based weapons system for use against ships.

“This missile, with the capacity of evading radar, can attack several targets simultaneously,” he said, adding the missile was newly developed. State media described the missile as one of a “new generation”. Iran has previously said it had successfully tested missiles carrying the Fajr (Dawn) name.

The range of the new missile was not immediately clear but Salami said it had greater tactical and technical capabilities, state television reported. It also said the missile could not be hit by anti-missile rockets. Iranian officials were not immediately available for comment. Earlier, naval officials had said the wargames would start by firing a Shahab-2 surface-to-surface missile, which experts say has a range of about 700 kilometres.

Naval Admiral Morteza Saffari earlier said the wargames would involve more than 17,000 troops and 500 large and small naval vessels, the official IRNA news agency earlier reported.

The naval wargames were aimed “to display the Islamic system’s defensive capabilities”, IRNA said. Reuters
    So, after the nuclear brouhaha, they want to show their missile technology?

A nice way to make a thick soup and jump into it!

If it were a stealth missile that cannot be picked up by radars, then why make a song and dance about it. Just fire and test and be smug as a cat that has slurped a stolen platter of milk!
    Last edited by Ray; 01 Apr 06,, 19:05.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Originally posted by Ray

If it were a stealth missile that cannot be picked up by radars, then why make a song and dance about it. Just fire and test and be smug as a cat that has slurped a stolen platter of milk!
    Damn right, this must be another bluff. I have seen some short segments on cable that stated that the USM was working on a stealth missile design, I wonder how far along they are? If they didn't get cancelled to pay for something else that is.

Comment

The most stealthy would be something which does not exist at all! Then really nobody can detect it :)

Comment

Is that a true stealth missile or simply one that flies low?

Ridiculous...

If you want an actual stealth missile, I refer you to the 460 examples of the AGM-129 W80-tipped 2,000nm-ranged cruise missile in operation by the USAF on B-52s.
        HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray

i think they are just being smart - as far as Iran is concerned once it has a usable nuke its safe from invasion and airstrikes, their example is North Korea and actually its a pretty good one.

a nuke is no use as a deterent if it can only vapourise some desert in the middle of Iran, once its 'mobile' its a pretty good deterent.

they are in a race against time, we think that once they have a nuke they are toast, they think that once they have a nuke they are impervious.

i think they are right.
          before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Working...
          X