X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking of condoms as balloons.

They make nice silvery balloons.

Great to fill them with gas so that they float skywards and then fire at them at the range when the breeze is frolicking and bobbing side to side or up and down.

You got to be real sharp with the range safety!

We have also used to train chaps in the AD role!

Not standard range practices, but they are good to add to fun as also improve marksmanship.

Try firing at a bobbing balloon in the breeze.
    Last edited by Ray; 25 Apr 07,, 15:31.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• try farting in one and then lighting it

Comment

• Must have been an explosive experience! :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Sergeant-Major, Brigadier,

I don't know about you but I would make it known that Soutie should be out of my sight and out of my mind before I even approach his platoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by soutie View Post
            during early 87 our company was invovled in an op with 32 guys just north of onjiva for about one week ,alot of the guys did not come into direct contact with the buffalo soldiers,but we did ,i will say this if i am ever in a trench there would be one man that i would have next to me without a question of doubt and that is the buffalo soldier,extremly brave men ,ruthless and highly effective ,the Fapla Cubans and Russians had a good name for them THE TERRIBLE ONES ,they where the most effective counter insurgency unit in southern africa feared and respected by friends and foe as for that captain i hit with that piss bomb ,a red blooded afrikaner to the core and i suspect he had more of a kinship with those buffalo soldiers than his own people.
            I never went on any ops with them. I just spent a week teaching a dozen or so how to blow things up.

One afternoon I had all my wannabe Sappers at attention, giving an asschewing that was starting to gather a small crowd of onlookers. We'd skipped breakfast, weren't issued any rations for lunch and it had been a long, hot day in the sun. I was hungry, tired and irritated.

I was on a roll. I had just covered their parents marital status, the mental results of inbreeding and was just starting to question whether they were intelligent enough to reproduce when an Afrikaner Captain appeared.

The Captain said, "That will be quite enough Sergeant!", followed by, "So you don't like Kaffirs, do you Sergeant?". I replied that I was an American and I didn't care either way. He turned to a (white) Lance Corporal and asked if that was true.

The Lance Corporal said, "Yes Sir, he insults us all equally Sir!", which gathered a few chuckles and (very) fleeting smirk on my face. The Captain asked if I thought that was funny and I told him no, that I had eaten something that didn't agree with me.

He paused for a minute and said, "Well then, off you go, I wouldn't want to make you late for mess.". He followed with another pause saying, "Except for you Sergeant, you shouldn't be eating anything on a disturbed stomach." I started to say something but the Captain cut me off with, "That's an order Sergeant!".

I sat under a tree while the men ate and cussed that Captain every few minutes. One of my men came by afterwards and threw me a ratpack laughing, "So you've met the Captain have you?". Probably the same guy!
            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• When you say Afrikaner, does it refer to a white man? Kaffir usually refers to a black man or a colored person?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                When you say Afrikaner, does it refer to a white man? Kaffir usually refers to a black man or a colored person?
                In this usage Afrikaner means a white man of Dutch extraction as in one who's first language is Afrikaans. The term Kaffir is a derogatory term for a black man and I only use it anecdotally (someone else's words, not mine).
                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• It may have been after you knew 'em, but I knew about 32 Battalion in the 90s because of a trio of recruits they picked up: psycho war criminals from the Serb militia.

These three were so bad, they weren't even allowed to stay in Bosnia anymore. They were expert killers, and as inhuman as anybody that ever fought in that hellish war.

I was on a midnight shift once, and we were watching one of the toughest-to-watch movies ever made: Savior. After a totally brutal scene, one of the Army senior NCOs said he knew about that actually happening, and that these crazy em effs whose crime was featured in the scene had gone too far for even the Serbian paramilitaries, and were exiled. They went off and joined 32 Battalion.

This outfit was notorious, and seemed just to fit the bill for these whackos. If it had been one of THEM you'd hit with your piss-rubber, you'd have been tortured to death, sure as hell. As it was, can you imagine what a hard-ass you'd have to be to be an officer in charge of a crew like that? You're lucky to be alive, Hoss.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                    It may have been after you knew 'em, but I knew about 32 Battalion in the 90s because of a trio of recruits they picked up: psycho war criminals from the Serb militia.

These three were so bad, they weren't even allowed to stay in Bosnia anymore. They were expert killers, and as inhuman as anybody that ever fought in that hellish war.

I was on a midnight shift once, and we were watching one of the toughest-to-watch movies ever made: Savior. After a totally brutal scene, one of the Army senior NCOs said he knew about that actually happening, and that these crazy em effs whose crime was featured in the scene had gone too far for even the Serbian paramilitaries, and were exiled. They went off and joined 32 Battalion.

This outfit was notorious, and seemed just to fit the bill for these whackos. If it had been one of THEM you'd hit with your piss-rubber, you'd have been tortured to death, sure as hell. As it was, can you imagine what a hard-ass you'd have to be to be an officer in charge of a crew like that? You're lucky to be alive, Hoss.
                    I was in Africa with a group assessing a possible contract when I saw two unsavory military looking types with eastern European accents in our hotel. Their pictures came back as belonging to two guys who tried to enlist in 32 battalion and were turned down! I wonder just what you had to have done to get refused. I gave them a wide berth.

I saw the movie Savior together with a few people. You're right it was hard to watch. Brutal.

Comment

• aww not fair ,nothing wrong in having abit of fun,however after a certain day in my life ,i think i grew up very quickly,sure 32 battalion offircers where hardarse,my friend was one yeah he was hard arse,when i tol him about the piss bomb incident he laughed,he said thats minor to some of the jokes these guys played on one another,i explained to the captain afterwards that he was not the intended target and that i missed and hit him by mistake,he asked what weapon i carried i said an LMG ,He said that explains it ir i carried a rifle i would have hit who i was aiming at and that i could,nt hit a cow on the "·$%& with a banjo,thats why i carried a machine gun,i still think that the punishment PT was justified ,if i think he would have shot me ,dunno to many witnesses

Comment

• aww not fair ,nothing wrong in having abit of fun,however after a certain day in my life ,i think i grew up very quickly,sure 32 battalion offircers where hardarse,my friend was one yeah he was hard arse,when i tol him about the piss bomb incident he laughed,he said thats minor to some of the jokes these guys played on one another,i explained to the captain afterwards that he was not the intended target and that i missed and hit him by mistake,he asked what weapon i carried i said an LMG ,He said that explains it ir i carried a rifle i would have hit who i was aiming at and that i could,nt hit a cow on the "·$%& with a banjo,thats why i carried a machine gun,i still think that the punishment PT was justified ,if i think he would have shot me ,dunno to many witnesses

Comment

• Hardass

Originally posted by soutie View Post
                          aww not fair ,nothing wrong in having abit of fun,however after a certain day in my life ,i think i grew up very quickly,sure 32 battalion offircers where hardarse,my friend was one yeah he was hard arse,when i tol him about the piss bomb incident he laughed,he said thats minor to some of the jokes these guys played on one another,i explained to the captain afterwards that he was not the intended target and that i missed and hit him by mistake,he asked what weapon i carried i said an LMG ,He said that explains it ir i carried a rifle i would have hit who i was aiming at and that i could,nt hit a cow on the "·$%& with a banjo,thats why i carried a machine gun,i still think that the punishment PT was justified ,if i think he would have shot me ,dunno to many witnesses
                          Soutie, you grew up fast and ran with a tough bunch. Being a hardass is sometimes all that keeps you and your men alive. I tell a story about the third platoon commander shooting one of his own men (in the calf) and sometimes people don't believe me. I never shot one of my men but they believed I would. Actually they thought I had and I never denied it. It made life easier!;)

Enjoy your beer and braai!
                          Last edited by sappersgt; 27 Apr 07,, 00:23.

Comment

• Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide

Originally Posted by Bluesman
                            It may have been after you knew 'em, but I knew about 32 Battalion in the 90s because of a trio of recruits they picked up: psycho war criminals from the Serb militia.
                            That was probably their only option, their own country wouldn't have them, couldn't get papers for anywhere else without a lot of money. The dubious safety of 32 Bn with a conditional promise of residency might have seemed their only choice. I know it sure wasn't the money, nobody ever got rich on SADF pay. They probably fought until they eventually got killed, never rising above Lance Corporal and hoping for papers that never came.

Comment

• Could you elaborate on the atrocities they did? Or is it simplly "unspeakable"? I am surprised that the Serbs never tried them in a military justice system. Goes to show that Serbs were really a bunch of hooligans at that time.

To me, one of the hallmarks of a respected professional army is the willingness to prosecute one's soldiers for war crimes, crimes of cunduct unbecoming, murder, rape, that sort of thing.

If the J3V army did not do that, then they are not a professional army by any standard. They are just a bunch of hooligans wearing uniforms and brandishing guns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                                Could you elaborate on the atrocities they did? Or is it simplly "unspeakable"? I am surprised that the Serbs never tried them in a military justice system. Goes to show that Serbs were really a bunch of hooligans at that time.

To me, one of the hallmarks of a respected professional army is the willingness to prosecute one's soldiers for war crimes, crimes of cunduct unbecoming, murder, rape, that sort of thing.

If the J3V army did not do that, then they are not a professional army by any standard. They are just a bunch of hooligans wearing uniforms and brandishing guns.
                                According to the Master Sergeant, they'd kill any military-age male with a sledgehammer in front of his family, preferably his mother. Then they'd put 'war paint' on their faces with his blood. They were part of Arkan's White Tigers.

Mladic, as sick as HE was, had heard about it, and threw 'em out of the war zone in Bosnia, supposedly because he was afraid of what Arkan and Dragan would do to him personally if the lads were prosecuted or summarily executed by the Serbian military. The lads knew the cops (who apparently weren't intimidated by the paramilitaries)were waiting for 'em just over the border back in Serbia, so they cut out for North Africa (probably Libya, maybe Egypt or Morrocco, can't say for sure), and finally aaallll the way through to the nastiness in southern Africa, where they found work.

Comment

Working...
                                X