Home defense munitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
    Well of course they occur, but not as often as when no one is home.
    Well gee, thank God, eh?

My point was that they're not nearly as uncommon as many suspect...at least not around here.

That's funny. I love it when there are little old ladies in the news that shoot people or it people that are trying to harm them! :) I always envision grandma Clampett with her shotgun.
    You'll love this true tale then:

"Kingsport, Tennessee

From Memphis’ WMCStations.com of March 30, 2005

83-year-old woman wrestles, shoots at burglar

Authorities say a man broke into an 83-year-old Kingsport woman's home and took her purse, but not before she fought with and fired a couple of shots at him.

Kingsport Detective David Quillen said the man broke into the woman's home about 3 a.m. yesterday and when she confronted him, they struggled and she fired a handgun at him.

The man, who was not hit, then took the woman's purse and fled. He was arrested about twenty-minutes later by a Sullivan County deputy sheriff, who charged the man with drunk driving.

Kingsport police then charged the man, forty-four-year-old Mark Foulk, with robbery and aggravated burglary. "

-----------------------------------------------------

But i doubt you'll like this one miss:

Wichita, Kansas

From the Wichita Eagle of March 30, 2005

"Intruder's bullets just missed table of three children

Intruders trying to shoot their way into a home Monday morning fired into a kitchen door, and on the other side sat three young children at a breakfast table.

"It's fortunate that those bullets went straight into the kitchen cabinet and not to the left, hitting one of those kids," Capt. Randy Landen of the Wichita Police Department said Tuesday.

None of the children, nor a woman at the table with them, were hurt. But two men were in the Sedgwick County Jail awaiting criminal charges.

A third intruder remained in a Wichita hospital with multiple gunshot wounds after one of the residents fired back.

According to police reports:

The shoot-out resulted in 16 shots being fired between the intruders and a man who lived at the house in the 2700 block of North Wellesley. One of the intruders, a 20-year-old man, was shot multiple times and suffered a fractured hip.

The resident who fired back with a handgun was shot in the left arm.

Robbery was the apparent motive behind the shootings."
    http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefe...1_archive.html
    Last edited by Bill; 22 Feb 06,, 04:09.

Comment

Oh M21, enough of the selective information. I could tell you about so many shootings of various types I see in the ER.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureMD
        Oh M21, enough of the selective information. I could tell you about so many shootings of various types I see in the ER.
        My aunt has been an ER nurse at a major trauma center for 20 years in Philly, i assure you, i've heard the same stories.

But beyond that......What is your point?

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
          My aunt has been an ER nurse at a major trauma center for 20 years in Philly, i assure you, i've heard the same stories.

But beyond that......What is your point?

You tried to sell us on two stories, which I think is ridiculous. That's just my opinion however.

Comment

You tried to sell us on two stories, which I think is ridiculous. That's just my opinion however.
            I didn't try to sell anything.

I merely posted two stories that were relevant to the topic.

If you want a whole range of unedited MSM generated self-defense related stories of all types, simply follow the link to the site i so thoughtfully included for your convenience...

LOOK, here's that link again: http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefe...1_archive.html

If you want even more data on home invasions, click on the following link, there are 108,000 hits for your viewing pleasure:
            http://www.google.com/search?hs=y94&...ng&btnG=Search
            Last edited by Bill; 22 Feb 06,, 04:54.

Comment

Umm...IMHO you're perceiving from a false assumption here.

He didn't try to "sell" us on anything. THL said she loved stories of little old ladies who fight/shoot back. So Sniper provided one.

And yes, the 2nd story was an incident where the intruders were apparently not interested in a quick and non-confrontational snatch-and-grab.

But I didn't see him pointing to that story and shouting " That proves my point 100% !! "

Or even whispering it ;)
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Home Invasion Robberies

by Jaime Adame
                February, 2005

The perfect crime may be the one that goes unreported. In January, police arrested leaders of a Harlem gang that, police say, terrorized drug dealers with a series of over 100 home-invasion robberies. The leaders were also allegedly involved in three murders.

The arrest served to spotlight home-invasion robberies, which, according to federal crime statistics, have been increasing nationwide.

Home invasion robberies, which involve either using force or a ruse to enter someone’s home, are not uncommon in the drug trade, in part because the robbers can be confident that the victims will be reluctant to call the police. In December, 2003, the Drug Enforcement Administration and local police arrested drug dealers who, according to DEA"obtained a large amount of their cocaine and heroin by committing violent home invasion robberies of other drug dealers, often in large apartment buildings, endangering the public." And police noted that the Bronx gang would sometimes target the wrong apartment, robbing people who had nothing to do with the drug trade. The elderly are also frequent targets of such crimes.

Overall, home invasion and push-in robberies (where entrance is gained by following someone to their door or through a ruse) can be traumatizing and can easily escalate into violence.

The New York Police Department declined to release statistics on these types of robberies. However, nationwide statistics released by the FBI show that, while robberies have been decreasing overall, robberies occurring at a residence increased every year from 1999 through 2003, the most recent year statistics are available.

By 2003, residence robberies had increased by 18 percent from 1999. (In contrast, the total number of robberies rose by 1 percent over the same time period.) Most robberies in the United States still happen on the street, but about 14 percent of all robberies took place at a residence in 2003. In the northeast, that number drops to about 9 percent.

New York police, in the past, have held special seminars in neighborhoods where push-in robberies are a problem, warning residents not to fall for the ruses sometimes used by robbers. For example, a robber might knock on the door and claim to be a building inspector or a deliveryperson.

The elderly can be particularly vulnerable to these ruses, as well as to being followed into their homes by a stranger. In 2001, then-Assemblymember Jeffery Klein noticed a sharp spike in push-in robberies in the Pelham Parkway section of the Bronx, about 20 robberies in a two-month span accounting for a surge of about 60 percent. Most targeted the elderly, Klein recalled. Now a state senator, Klein said police found that many apartment doors did not have functioning peepholes and that that lead to many of the crimes. With support from a state grant, police and community organizations, and a local company, about 750 peepholes were installed, leading to a sharp reduction in push-in robberies, Klein said.

Robbers sometimes claim to be police in order to get people to open their doors, perhaps especially troubling to the actual police. But such an impersonation, while involving a separate criminal charge, does not typically lead to a stiffer sentence upon conviction, according to James Evangelou, chief of the Career Criminal Major Crime Bureau for the Queens County district attorney’s office. Neither does the law do much to distinguish between home invasions and street robberies, said Evangelou.

Several years ago, accordin g to the New York Times, some Manhattan residents worried that a strong police presence was keeping criminals off the streets but leading to an increase in push-in robberies. With Operation Impact, the a police effort to increase patrols in high-crime neighborhoods, dramatically increasing the police presence in some neighborhoods, the same concern might arise today. Police though point to statistics that show overall robberies have declined by about 26 percent in neighborhoods where Operation Impact has been in effect.

Terry Rodie, district manager for Brooklyn Community Board 14, which includes Flatbush and Midwood, expressed doubt about whether such a link between police and push-in robberies could exist in her neighborhood. But, she added, "that doesn't mean it couldn't be true. The same theory could be said for a snowstorm."“I think that’s more some kind of a [folk] tale…but I don’t mean to say it could not be true,” said Rodie. “The same theory could be said for a big snowstorm.”

http://www.gothamgazette.com/article//20050201/4/1313

------------------------

So there you go, nationally, 14% of all robberies are of the home invasion sort.

Folks, that is a LOT of home invasions!

Comment

By 2003, residence robberies had increased by 18 percent from 1999. (In contrast, the total number of robberies rose by 1 percent over the same time period.) Most robberies in the United States still happen on the street, but about 14 percent of all robberies took place at a residence in 2003. In the northeast, that number drops to about 9 percent.
                  So there you go, nationally, 14% of all robberies are of the home invasion sort.

OK, NOW he's pointing and shouting
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Now, if you want my theory as to WHY home invasions are increasing, next time you are at an intersection look up and wave to the traffic camera. If you're in a parking lot, look up and wave to any of the dozens of cameras.
                    Likewise for a mall or- nowadays- any sort of store.

In our quest for security we're driving the thiefs to the one place we don't want them........our homes.

I won't say public security cameras are the entire cause, but i've no doubt they're part of it.
                    Another part of it is no doubt the huge national increase in uniformed police officers since the early 90s, and the huge increase in car alarms and lojack type systems.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                      OK, NOW he's pointing and shouting
                      Only at his request. :)

Comment

And then there's Sniper, trying to sell things again. ;)
                        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Statistics won't show us the talent level of a burglar.
                          Be that as it may, the County Coroner is a pretty fair arbiter.

W.
                          Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

What about an ASP baton? It takes up little room and gives one hell of a whallup! Unless you've got a bigger house with standoff, an ASP can reach and touch someone when needed.
                            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Statistics won't show us the talent level of a burglar.
                              Do you want to base the protection of your home, wife, kids, whoever on the statistical burglar or the worst case burglar?
                              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

And then there's Sniper, trying to sell things again. ;)
                                'Peace sells....but who's buying?'

Comment

Working...
                                X