No announcement yet.

.222/.223/.22-250/others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're shooting moose, then maybe I'd recommend a 375 Wby. But those things kick, and they don't go too far. But you did say you won't be taking any extremely long shots.

Comment

I'm quite certain the .338 WinMag is up to the task of blasting moose. :)

Comment

I'm sure it is, but the .375 is cooler.
        Now if you want to go pistol hunting, then I would definitely go with the .500 S&W Magnum.
        Kaboom from a pistol!

Comment

sniperdude, the idea is to kill the moose and save the meat to eat. A .375 Wby. is a good bear gun, but will rip hell out of a moose or elk. Same thing goes for the Lapau- the round is too hot for medium game hunting inside of 300 yards, since it will go clean through and tear up the opposite shoulder on the way out. Even a bonded bullet would probably fragment at such speeds and do too much damage. Bigger is not always better, and a .338 Winny is just right for what I want the rifle for.

If I want to pistol hunt, I will use my Contender. The .500 is a powerful handgun, but handguns are not the best choice for camp guns, a 12 gauge slug in a riot gun is much better. I've spent many years hunting in Alaska, and I don't, and never will, carry a handgun for backup, so there is no reason for me to shell out the bucks for a .500 S&W.
          Last edited by highsea; 12 Apr 05,, 03:53.
          "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Sorry, I'm still kinda on the "Let's vaporize the animals" mindset.
            And I din't know if you are a pistol hunting kind of person.

Comment

Working...
            X