No announcement yet.

CA is now SHALL ISSUE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years ago we had the same theme on a thread. I was beat up by many members here for expressing the same view.

I would never shoot a person over stuff. Threaten my family, yes. If I come home and see you running out of my house with the TV or laptop, Hope you have fun with it.

And I live in a state that allows you to shoot someone in the back if they are retreating but you think they might come back with a gun. And this applies to a public place, not just your home.
    Human Scum. Proud Never Trumper

Comment

Last edited by citanon; 16 Aug 14,, 07:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        Years ago we had the same theme on a thread. I was beat up by many members here for expressing the same view.

I would never shoot a person over stuff. Threaten my family, yes. If I come home and see you running out of my house with the TV or laptop, Hope you have fun with it.

And I live in a state that allows you to shoot someone in the back if they are retreating but you think they might come back with a gun. And this applies to a public place, not just your home.

I think yours is a courageous position to take. I agree with it 100%.

Comment

More good news for CA gun owners

Judge strikes down California's 10-day wait period for gun owners - SFGate

a federal judge ruled Monday that the state can't require gun buyers to wait 10 days to pick up their newly purchased weapon if they already own a gun or have a license to possess a handgun.
          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

An update on my quest for a CCW.

First, I bought my gun. I was going to pick up an M&P Shield but then I started reading about the Walther PPQ. Checked it out at my local shop and it was love at first grasp and trigger pull. Between the PPQ and the Shield there was no contest. Plus Gerry Brown is doing away with the CA SSE on Jan 1st so this is the last chance to pick up a PPQ as long as I stay in California and after careful reading of my work place's policies and CA laws regarding guns on school and university campuses, I have serious doubts on whether I can have a CCW even locked in my car, so any carry situation will likely be when I'm at home, out exercising, etc, not all day 24/7.

So, in a couple of weeks, there should be a brand spanking new Walther PPQ M1 (with the lever mag eject) on my desk. As accessorizing, familiarizing and practicing with the gun is going to take a while and quite a bit of $$$ I'm holding of CCW permit until 2015.

Now I've already bought some boxes of practice and 9mm home defense ammo. Choices seem pretty obvious. Cheap TMJ for range shooting with reduced lead hazard. Some Corbon DPX 115gr (leadless and CA approved for environmental friendliness ;)) for home defense.

I will also be switching out the stock sites for Meprolight night sights.

But now here's the part I've been hesitant over: I already have a pretty good flashlight on my nightstand but I think I also want a weapon mounted light. There are definitely pros and cons to having a weapons light but seems to me it gives more options than not having one. For example, what if I can't find my flash light and can only find my gun in a middle of the night type situation? I don't intend to go clear out my house but what if a dark shape shows up in my doorway or near a family member's room and I need to ID? At least with a weapons light I can use the spill light to see who it is, and no, you don't have to sweep your muzzle over the said shape to do that. Plus, I'm nearsighted. The darkness makes seeing harder. If, under stress, I cannot find my glasses, I can't exactly use the darkness and my night vision to my advantage.

So I'm thinking of picking up a Streamlight TLR-1 HL or a TLR-2 HL.

Both have good reputation for reliability. Both have 600 lumen light output with 16000 peak candela power in the central bright spot. However, the TLR-1 is about $120 where as the TLR-2 is $272. The only difference is that the TLR-2 has an integrated red laser. So, do you guys think it's worthwhile to have a laser on a pistol light? In my home defense situation, I'm in a typical 2000 sq ft single family house. Max distances in doors go about 100 ft down hallways with 30 ft being more typical room. I think the room are small enough that the light itself can act as an aiming aid, so I'm leaning towards no. Out in the yard the sight lines are longer, but I cannot envision shooting at anything or anyone in my yard who isn't actively trying to break into the house.

Anyways, having no experience in tactical CQB type situations, any helpful advice is appreciated.
            Last edited by citanon; 23 Sep 14,, 07:07.

Comment

I have 2 older model of TLR1 with about 130 lumen output. It's bright enough for pistol work.

Personally, and I have expressed many times, I don't like to hang a bunch of crap on my gun. Even the lightest flashlight changes the balance of the gun.

Try the TLR1. See how you like the extra weight on the muzzle end when you practice. If not, you can always take it off. Or switch to a small laser without the light.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                I have 2 older model of TLR1 with about 130 lumen output. It's bright enough for pistol work.

Personally, and I have expressed many times, I don't like to hang a bunch of crap on my gun. Even the lightest flashlight changes the balance of the gun.

Try the TLR1. See how you like the extra weight on the muzzle end when you practice. If not, you can always take it off. Or switch to a small laser without the light.
                Thanks gunnut. The PPQ has a reputation of being a (tiny) bit snappy with the high bore axis. Maybe the extra weight will even help. Will have to shoot it and see. Only thing I don't like about it is the size:

But can't argue with the amount of light. The smaller TLR-3 model has less than half the lumens and about half the peak brightness:

Attached Files

Comment

I received my PPQ and added Trijicon HD night sights.

Awesome sight on an amazing pistol. The fluorescent yellow dot is supposed to draw your attention to the front sight and it really worked for me.

The PPQ trigger is amazing. Accuracy is great. Was able to get about 3-4 inch groupings around the exact points of aim at 10 to 15 yards without really trying and firing about 1/second. This is better than what I can normally do so I'm satisfied that the pistol does make me a better shooter.

The recoil is a bit more snappy than the average 9mm because of the top heavy design with the high bore axis but I was able to do double taps about .5 seconds a part with okay accuracy. I think my basic recoil control technique isn't yet up to par. As far as I can tell I have the right grip for modern isosceles stance and locked wrist properly. Not sure what else I can do. Probably need to hit the gym and increase my forearm grip strength a little more.

More ammo on the way. Expect to practice lots. May start doing some IPSC next year. :)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by citanon; 12 Oct 14,, 07:37.

Comment

Working...
                  X