Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying guns online from private parties

Need some advice in this area.

Any one any experience? Any best practices, such as payment terms, questions to ask etc.?
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Originally posted by antimony View Post

Any one any experience? Any best practices, such as payment terms, questions to ask etc.?
    It sounds very risky. I wouldn't even consider it, unless I could see the gun in person and do the transaction face to face. Possibly meeting the seller at a gun show.

I'd consider bringing a spent casing and test the firing pin, I've run into trouble with this before - trying the gun out to be sure it puts a dent in the primer would be a good check. Very easy to do with a rimfire, it would be trickier on a centerfire - perhaps a reloader could make up a test casing with a new primer and no bullet. The test primer might be soaked in water and dried out first to disarm it - so it wouldn't make any noise or smoke? A spent primer might be removed and the dent hammered back out with a little pin punch, then reinsert the primer in the casing?

This is why a gun shop adds value, you can test the gun, and return defective items easily.
    Last edited by USSWisconsin; 04 May 13,, 16:44.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

If the seller is close you can meet him at a local gun store and have the gun store as a middleman. You are going to have to pay more, ie background check and what not. However the gun shop ie a professional can give the gun a once over and find any defects, and even check to make sure the gun is not stolen. If the seller balks at this suggestion that should be all the red flags you need to walk away and look elsewhere.

If you stick to a "private sale" Know full well what the gun is worth and make sure you know who the seller is and if possible get something in writing to the effect that he sold you the gun. That would save you some heart ache if it turns out that the gun was used in a crime. If the seller is legit he should have no problems doing this. In fact he should want to know who he sold the gun to as well. Take your time and look over the gun well.

If the seller is long distance then you are taking a chance. Like the used car market there are a lot of good deals to be had but also some real lemons and shysters selling those lemons. I don't know if this is possible but talk to a local gun shop that you trust. See what the fee would be to have the seller ship the gun to the shop and use the shop as a middleman, for both the gun and the payment. If the gun is not to your liking they can send it back, if the gun is everything you dreamed of a small fee to the shop on top of the selling price is a small price to pay.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

It was a seller on Armslist from a different state, offering a decent price on an item which looks like its rarer than unicorn heartstring. The guy sld it to someone FTF this morning. Ah well...
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

You can always ask these fine upstanding models of parentage where they got theirs from ,, unbelievable wankers

Boy, 5, Kills Sister, 2, With Children's Rifle

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
            You can always ask these fine upstanding models of parentage where they got theirs from ,, unbelievable wankers

Boy, 5, Kills Sister, 2, With Children's Rifle
            Excerpt:
            Cumberland County coroner Gary White told the Lexington Herald-Leader it was "just one of those crazy accidents.""

It was God's will. It was her time to go I guess?" her grandmother Linda Riddle told Lex18.

"Down in Kentucky where we're from, you know, guns are passed down from generation to generation. You start at a young age with guns for hunting and everything," Mr White said. "Accidents happen with guns."
            They certainly have a very matter of fact way of looking at it

Comment

Excerpt:

They certainly have a very matter of fact way of looking at it
              I imagine they are still in shock and denial about it. Some areas of the country life is hard and that gives the locals a different perspective. I can't imagine what that will do to the psyche of a 5 year old boy though. I am guessing the .22 was only one of several guns around the house. It is a tragedy but in the whole scheme of things she was at a greater risk from other things snuffing her life.

I considered this very same .22 for my sons first gun but went with a Daisy Red rider. Good thing as BB's are still easy to find. A box of .22's is rare and damned expensive as of late.

Comment

Im getting a daisy red rider for the g/son as well , he is 10 years old but will never have unassisted access to it , BB or not , and will be taught the correct gun acumen and woe betide him if he does not strictly adhere to it .;)
                Last edited by tankie; 06 May 13,, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                  Im getting a daisy red rider for the g/son as well , he is 10 years old but will never have unassisted access to it , BB or not , and will be taught the correct gun acumen and woe betide him if he does not strictly adhere to it .;)
                  Sit him down and make him watch A Christmas story first. Kind of hard for me to watch as in my childhood, Ralphie and I lived parallel lives. Only difference was the lampshade.

Comment

Let's keep this on topic, please. No gun control posts.

Thank you!

Comment

Back on topic, approached another seller on an online forum. However, this should be an FTF as the seller seems to live near the airport. Lets see what happens.

Comment

Back on topic, approached another seller on an online forum. However, this should be an FTF as the seller seems to live near the airport. Lets see what happens.
                        Good luck. Hopefully this will be the one.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                          Good luck. Hopefully this will be the one.
                          Thanks
                          This will be the one to upsell and fund others that I really want, though :)

However, I am not too hopeful the deals seems almost too good to be true

Comment

Used GP100 online

I have apparently won a bid on Gunbroker for this :

Ruger Model 1720 Catalog no: KGPF341
                            GP100 .357 Mag 4" Stainless, Fixed Sights

I found this awesome guide on checking out used revolvers

Revolver Checkout Procedure

Also some good videos available

I know I am taking a risk, but the seller has offered a three day return policy. If he does not live up to that I can file a claim with gunbroker. Lets see how it turns out. Gunbroker offers some measure of protection till $500, so hopefully I should be covered.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hope you will like it. And enjoy it of course.
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                              X