Kim Jong Un

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kim Jong Un

Saw KJU shooting on TV the other day and was trying to find out what kind of pistol he was shooting. It looked like a Tokarev, but he was shaking so much I couldn't tell.
    While researching, I found a mystery on the NKs AK's. It looks like an underslung calico magazine. Anyone seen anything like this? I'm puzzled as to how the calico type mag would work in a rifle round.

Attached Files
    "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

The lower pic is a rotary mag that was copied from the calico design by China. Originally designed for pistol rounds, it apparently works pretty well, although the weight of a fully-loaded magazine of that size is going to be hefty and make the weapon unwieldy.

The pistol - I don't know my Com-bloc handguns well. I'm sure it is a Chinese copy of a Soviet design. One thing I've seen on the numerous NORK videos posted lately is a horrendous tendency for soldiers to wave these around with their fingers on the trigger. One officer was talking to a reporter, and using his hand gun as a pointer! He pointed down range, then swung back to the reporter and almost tapped his chest for emphasis, all with his finger on the trigger! If I had been the reporter, I'd have clocked the guy!

The NK army seems to have and use an enormous number of hand guns.

Comment

Thanks Chogy, hadn't heard of the China copy of the calico - do you know if it is a civilian mag or for their military?
      It may be heavy and muzzle heavy, but I guess if you used it in a more or less static position, you could get a prone position better than with the standard mag.

I'm still curious on the pistol. It looks Tok'ish, but it also seems to have the humpback like thier copy of the FN1900 - but it seems a little big for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
        The lower pic is a rotary mag that was copied from the calico design by China. Originally designed for pistol rounds, it apparently works pretty well, although the weight of a fully-loaded magazine of that size is going to be hefty and make the weapon unwieldy.
        Do you have any source said they copied it from the Chinese but not the Russian?

Comment

No, I don't. It may very well be Russian in origin, but IIRC the old Calico was one of the earliest, if not the original, helical magazine to see widespread use.

I've definitely seen (somewhere) pictures of Chinese troops with these helical mags mounted on their AK variants.

Comment

Using a helical magazine with pointy spitzer bullets, near the primers of the round in front of it = scary! I'm sure it is designed to offset the rounds, but every time in actual use, I have my doubts.

Comment

Anyone familiar with Stechkins (ASPs)? I don't remember reading that NK had any, but if they did it would be a cool toy for Little Kim to play with. They have that weird hump at the rear sight too, don't they?

I don't know why I'm getting so weird about this pistol, but it is driving me nuts!

Comment

Is Kim Jong Un still in charge of North Korea? - CNN.com
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

looks like NK took bison smg idea and applied it to assault rifle. neither russia, nor china, has assault rifles with such mag. afaik.

Attached Files
                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tuna View Post
                    Anyone familiar with Stechkins (ASPs)? I don't remember reading that NK had any, but if they did it would be a cool toy for Little Kim to play with. They have that weird hump at the rear sight too, don't they?

I don't know why I'm getting so weird about this pistol, but it is driving me nuts!
                    i'm familiar with stechkin, this is not it.
                    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tuna View Post
                      I'm still curious on the pistol. It looks Tok'ish, but it also seems to have the humpback like thier copy of the FN1900 - but it seems a little big for that.
                      It doesn't look like a TT. KJU's pistol has a ridge/cut about 1/4 of the way from the muzzle. TT's slide is flush.

It almost looks like an FN 57. But the 57's slide has that ridge about 1/3 of the way back.

I was about to say it reminded me of a Hi-power, but HP's ridge is perpendicular to the axis of the gun. This one seems to be at an angle.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        It doesn't look like a TT. KJU's pistol has a ridge/cut about 1/4 of the way from the muzzle. TT's slide is flush.

It almost looks like an FN 57. But the 57's slide has that ridge about 1/3 of the way back.

I was about to say it reminded me of a Hi-power, but HP's ridge is perpendicular to the axis of the gun. This one seems to be at an angle.
                        Is it one of these?

Gun News Blog: North Korean Baekdoosan pistol

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                          Most likely. It would be a domestic production. The picture was grainy and at an angle. Lighting could have played tricks with the lines.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Here's the video with a few more angles:

Comment

An interesting aside:

Comment

Working...
                              X