Words from a Bosnian Survivalist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words from a Bosnian Survivalist

I am not a survivalist or preparedness type, but I have put some thought into it. And for those who say it cannot, will not happen to them, history says "Wrong. It CAN happen." Katrina, LA riots, etc.

This Bosnian survived a horrific year in a scenario that should provoke some thoughts in people. And as I would have expected, being armed, and having adequate ammunition, was critical. What I found particularly interesting was his strong emphasis on the need to organize in a moderately-sized group... loners, or very small groups, died.

Some really excellent thoughts as well on hygiene, and how important it is.

Words from a Bosnian Survivalist

All good advises. The bottom line is the guy with most has most chances for survival.

On a side note, Bosnian mountains were the place where former Yugoslav special forces had their survival courses. After the training, usually in winter, a helo would drop you in a middle of nowhere with your standard equipment and you are supposed to survive for 1 month. It is you, the snow, your backpack, the trees and the wolves.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

a very interesting article.

good take-aways, but note the limitations.

to the extent that the bosnian could survive, much of this came from outside inputs. IE, medicine, ammo, hygenic products either getting smuggled in or coming from existing stocks.

in bigger/more populated areas, that means there are two realizations:

for relatively "minor" disasters, those areas will get significant amount of input, either in the way of government security/assistance (troops and emergency aid) as well as greater existing stocks. IE, even without the clusterf*ck experience that was Katrina, i'm pretty sure in a response, NYC would have been better off than NOLA. you'll be much better off sticking it out, like this bosnian.

the flip hand side is, in a truly apocalyptic scenario, those densely populated areas will absolutely turn into charnel houses. if the disaster is state or continent wide, once the government is overwhelmed the chaos will be unimaginable. just the numbers alone would make what this bosnian went through look like a walk in the park. ie, even the most well-prepared will not survive this scenario, absent extremely good luck. in fact, in this type of scenario staying in place means death, and survival is a function of how you can get out of dodge. of course, if you do that, you're throwing away a lot of the in-house preparation (assuming you don't have some sort of prepper hidey-hole somewhere).

for the average person here, sitting in a big city, the best use of your time and money-- assuming you're not one of the survivalist types-- is to ensure that you and yours can survive several weeks with little outside input, ie having a plan as well as stocks of food and basic first aid and ammo. afterwards, the next best thing is to ensure that you're on good terms with your neighbors (the nucleus of organization of a community).
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Good points, and Astralis points out that there are different types of survival scenarios. Since it is very hard to predict what might happen, it would be best to prepare for the worst case... complete breakdown of society.

The problem with that is the sheer amount of stuff you'd need.

Comment

few guns and several of those army boxes with ammo would help a lot.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            few guns and several of those army boxes with ammo would help a lot.
            They can even be legal.Gun grabs are usually announced.''Officer,thiefs got into my house and stole ALL my guns and ammo.What is the world coming to?I know,I'll pay the fine,go to trial for negligence.See you in court,after the endof the world passes ''
            Those who know don't speak
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

What negligence? They were all in my safe. The one in the basement. Behind the closet.

Comment

What negligence? They were all in my safe. The one in the basement. Behind the closet.
                Man,you really live in a free country.Here you need an electronic alarm system for multiple weapons and the gun safe can be inspected whenever it suits them(rarely,but they have knee jerk reactions whenever a shooting happens).

''So I was so careless to disconnect it.Here take my gun permit and don't return the 200 euros inside it.''
                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Told you our commies loved guns. And these new democrats are their babies :)

Safe inspections - same here.
                  A friend has a huge wooden box in his safe and a note on it "Don't open - EXPLOSIVES!". Guess what, so far, the police haven't opened it.

Back to the Bosnian survivor... I really like his advice on the question what would he do if he has 3 months to prepare - flee the country.

Can't beat that Balkan logic - "Runaways's mothers never cry".
                  Last edited by Doktor; 11 Feb 13,, 19:37.

Comment

Told you our commies loved guns. And these new democrats are their babies :)

Safe inspections - same here.
                    A friend has a huge wooden box in his safe and a note on it "Don't open - EXPLOSIVES!". Guess what, so far, the police haven't opened it.

Back to the Bosnian survivor... I really like his advice on the question what would he do if he has 3 months to prepare - flee the country.

Can't beat that Balkan logic - "Runaways's mothers never cry".
                    We say ''running is shameful,but healthy''.And we're right,twice,but for different reasons :)
                    Seriously,with 3 months warning you can become a warlord.Guess what we talk during our drinking parties?
                    You make an alliance with farmers(say hello to my brothers ),stock as much fuel, medicine and ammo as possible.Tractors don't run on thin air,yet.With horses and carts you can move fairly large stuff over short distances,to save fuel.In essence you build your own tribe.With a tribe that's autonomous food and energy wise,you can kick some serious a$$.Heck,I'd even get myself a satcom and a few drones.No need to stalk over the next hill.And no need to be unable to read WAB,just because the world as we know it ends.

Comment

All this funded with borrowed money

Guess noone will come to ask for money back.

Comment

Exactly. Though,if there are signs of serious stuff going on,banks won't be too eager to lend money.But even if you use your city home as collateral,it's still a win.You'll be abandoning the city anyway and this way you won't lose the value of your home completely. :Dancing-Banana:

Comment

Later, your liberating gang will come to set free your home (and the surroundings) from the evil imperialists.:matrix:

Comment

Later, your liberating gang will come to set free your home (and the surroundings) from the evil imperialists.:matrix:

We are the imperialists.Since we survive the worst,we could restore the Asan's dinasty realm

Comment

I changed my mind.

When armageddon arrives, I don't want to be with gunnut.

I want to be with Mihais...

Comment

Working...
                              X