Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Range Report with SR1911 (pics heavy)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Range Report with SR1911 (pics heavy)

    Alright, Noob shooter here, so be nice


    (not my gun, but my cellphone does not take great images and I wanted to do justive to the looks)

    Sent 50 rds down the pipe at the local range. No malfunctions, fairly mild recoil and very comfy to shoot.

    Here are the results

    1. 7 yards with 15 rds, normal two handed fire


    2. 7 yards with 15 rds, two handed fire, fast (as fast as I could manage the recoil)


    3. 10 yards with 5 rds


    Yes, I know the grouping sucks, but that's not due to the gun and I am fairly certain I can improve this with more practice. However, this is a very comfortable gun to shoot. I usually shoot 9mms and I have previously shot 45 ACP with 1911s of various kinds, but this one felt "smoother" to me.

    I am really loving this gun!!!
    Attached Files
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

  • #2
    antimony,

    I realize you are a noob, so buy a lot of ammo and pay a trainer. It's a great gun to miss the whole target from 9 meters (10 yards). Twice.

    Also, pay attention on the breathing. I realize you were SOOOO excited.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

    To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      It's a great gun to miss the whole target from 9 meters (10 yards). Twice.

      Also, pay attention on the breathing. I realize you were SOOOO excited.
      Lol, I knew I had that coming.

      Of course, agree on getting more practice and controlling breathing and trigger control, but I was just having so much fun today in shooting this thing. these 5 were the last rounds in my box of 50, after which I had to rush and complete my regular Sunday morning errands.
      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, you outshot the NYPD with this gun.
        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'd recommend running a dozen boxes through it (a couple at a time)- nice and slow. I'd suggest some nice target ammo - with fairly mild charges, hot loads are not ideal for target shooting. They've got targets at the range I use with shooting tips printed on them, they've been helpful for me - explaining why the different errors occur and how to correct them.

          Its like most hobbies, lots of practice makes a big difference.

          Beautiful gun, I bet it's fun to shoot.
          Last edited by USSWisconsin; 10 Sep 12,, 21:54.
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by antimony View Post
            Lol, I knew I had that coming.

            Of course, agree on getting more practice and controlling breathing and trigger control, but I was just having so much fun today in shooting this thing. these 5 were the last rounds in my box of 50, after which I had to rush and complete my regular Sunday morning errands.
            It was a tease, I can realize the excitement and the wish to finish that box asap.

            You have a brand new .45. What errands? :whome:
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

            To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Doktor View Post
              It was a tease, I can realize the excitement and the wish to finish that box asap.

              You have a brand new .45. What errands? :whome:
              I have a new baby incoming in literally the next few days - the usual errands for that. The in laws arrived today. It was my last chance (probably in a few months) to get some range time to myself.
              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                I'd recommend running a dozen boxes through it (a couple at a time)- nice and slow. I'd suggest some nice target ammo - with fairly mild charges, hot loads are not ideal for target shooting. They've got targets at the range I use with shooting tips printed on them, they've been helpful for me - explaining why the different errors occur and how to correct them.

                Its like most hobbies, lots of practice makes a big difference.

                Beautiful gun, I bet it's fun to shoot.
                Oh hell yeah:Dancing-Banana:

                Question: What do you mean when you mild charges? I am using CCI blazer 230 gr FMJ and not anything +p. Isn't that fairly regular for target ammo?
                "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by antimony View Post
                  I have a new baby incoming in literally the next few days - the usual errands for that. The in laws arrived today. It was my last chance (probably in a few months) to get some range time to myself.
                  So you got a nice gun AND you are getting a kid? Me jealous. No body bought be 1911 when I got my kid.

                  Congrats.
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

                  To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think you did fine! Next time out, do some two-handed shots from a sandbag or some other rest to get an idea of the inherent accuracy of the piece. Then, any subsequent groups larger than that can be attributed to user technique.

                    A machine rest would be best for this, but few people have them.

                    I love the .45 - it's a fight-stopper, plain and simple. There's a reason the 1911 design is over 100 years old now. The gun and cartridge simply work.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by antimony View Post
                      Oh hell yeah:Dancing-Banana:

                      Question: What do you mean when you mild charges? I am using CCI blazer 230 gr FMJ and not anything +p. Isn't that fairly regular for target ammo?
                      Yes, that's what I was thinking of - skipping the special SD rounds or hi-perf JHP types and using some good quality FMJ like the CCI's or their equivalent - less recoil and noise.

                      It just takes time - nobody starts off as a good shot - practice practice
                      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by antimony View Post
                        I have a new baby incoming in literally the next few days - the usual errands for that. The in laws arrived today. It was my last chance (probably in a few months) to get some range time to myself.
                        I don't suppose the sudden urge to get a little range time in has anything to do with the immanent arrival of the in laws for what will probably be an extended stay?
                        Last edited by Monash; 12 Sep 12,, 11:43.
                        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Practicing for in laws is at larger distances. You don't want them so close.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

                          To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Monash View Post
                            I don't suppose the sudden urge to get a little range time in has anything to do with the immanent arrival of the in laws for what will probably be an extended stay?
                            From now till Christmas, followed by my parents for two more months. Needlessly to say, for my folks, guns are "evil". I had a blast of a time (with much angst and disgust from my wife) trying to explain to my father-in-law (who actually has had formal firearms training from the Indian Army during his time as an NCC officer) why firearms are perfectly safe if handled properly.
                            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Even the "miss" was a nut shot. I have learned to do a lot of shooting first then start taking photos. Looks like you have a winner so break it in right and take care of it. Your also in the mode of "what does this gun shoot the best" so try out different ammo. Once you find what the gun likes to eat go to a gun show and buy a case or two. That will be cheaper than buying individual boxes and will always assure you have a good supply on hand. If possible try to find a good shooter at the range and make friends. The tips he can give you to tighten your groups will more than offset a few beers you have to buy him.
                              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X