It's back, it's bad, you know it as the 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's back, it's bad, you know it as the 1911

The Marines, always leading the way are ordering a mess of Colt 1911s Sticking to their guns: Marines place $22.5M order for the Colt .45 M1911 | Fox News let the 9mm vs 45acp debate continue! :Dancing-Banana: :matrix: :bang:
    CADPIPE

Its good to hear its coming back. The 1911 ia an excellent pistol, and so iconic.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Good news; I'm no pistol expert, but the feedback I've been hearing is that the real operators prefer the M1911 for it's brute force. I know the US military (in general) has adopted the Beretta 92F, but special forces (and I use that in the general sense) has opted to stay with .45-cal; Delta tends to use custom M1911's (Baer, Kimber, etc.), and SEALs appear to prefer the HK45C or the P220 Combat. Glad to see the Corps going back to the "tried and true" M1911A1.
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I remember reading some combat reports from WW2 regarding this handgun. While there was no U.S. alternate to compare it to, soldiers who used it praised it highly. In many cases of CQ combat, the .45 round simply dropped the enemy like a sack of grain, and the ones I remember distinctly are those where it caused death or incapacitation due to blood loss. The big slug simply cuts through organs and arteries in a way that no 9mm can do.

Since the military is restricted to ball ammo, this makes sense. A civilian 9mm handgun can be hopped up in velocity and equipped with hollow points to make up for an otherwise small size. I would not want to use ball ammo in a home invasion scenario with 9mm, but I would be comfortable with ball .45ACP.

The M1 carbine is a similar beast. The original cartridge simply put neat holes in the enemy. But load a carbine with soft-point ammo, it's another league in terms of stopping power.

Comment

I agree, if there were no "rules" about military pistol ammo, imagine the kinds of hi-tech, small caliber, exploding "man-stoppers" they could come up with - perhaps they'd be 100$'s a round - but I imagine they would accomplish the task quite effectively. Since we adhere to an old "dum-dum" bullet treaty made in the final days of black powder cartidges - we'll use solid ball ammo (it appears that modern tumbling rifle bullets effectively subvert the intention of this treaty anyways - even the original hollow point they outlawed is back as "open tip match" sniper ammo). I beleive that the strict observance of the small arms ammo conventions tend to make an 11.4mm (0.45) bullet considerably more effective than a 9mm for "treaty" pistol use.
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I see where they went with the extended ambidextrous safety, but not the extended slide release for smaller hands, and not the ambidextrous slide release. And no reverable mag release. Nothing against lefthanders, but you guys do stand on the wrong side of the golfball. :slap:
            CADPIPE

Comment

Test Article Photos of MARSOC Winning Colt Rail Guns - Soldier Systems additional info, with pictures of test guns (with cracks) and comments. :slap:
              CADPIPE

Comment

Sigh. Just once I wish a branch would not bypass a Sig 226 in .40S&W on their rush to go from 9mm to .45 and back again.
                Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                  Sigh. Just once I wish a branch would not bypass a Sig 226 in .40S&W on their rush to go from 9mm to .45 and back again.
                  But once again, you've got to use ball ammo in these. No ball pistol cartridge has the velocity to do anything except plow straight ahead, intact and unexpanded. The .45 wound channel is going to beat the .40 easily. Wouldn't you agree?

Comment

Guess who just bought a 1911?
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                      Nice!

Is it a Baer or a Kimber, or just a stock M1911A1?
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                        Nice!

Is it a Baer or a Kimber, or just a stock M1911A1?
                        Are you kidding? I can't afford a Les Baer, or even a basic Kimber.

I bought a RIA 1911 Tactical on sale for $460. It comes out to be $527 after all the kommie taxes and fees I have to pay here.

Back to topic, I thought the Sig P220 is a much simpler and reliable design as a combat handgun than a 1911. They are about the same price too (if that 1911 is a Colt).
                        Last edited by gunnut; 30 Jul 12,, 23:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                          But once again, you've got to use ball ammo in these. No ball pistol cartridge has the velocity to do anything except plow straight ahead, intact and unexpanded. The .45 wound channel is going to beat the .40 easily. Wouldn't you agree?
                          No. Not without some real world hardball comparisons on the battlefield.
                          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            Woo Hoo

Congrats

Here is the one I set my heart on:

Springfield MILSPEC 5" 45SS Package $682.00 SHIPS FREE
                            Attached Files
                            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                              Woo Hoo

Congrats

Here is the one I set my heart on:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29687[/ATTACH]

Springfield MILSPEC 5" 45SS Package $682.00 SHIPS FREE
                              It's all your fault.

Comment

Working...
                              X