It's back, it's bad, you know it as the 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
    No. Not without some real world hardball comparisons on the battlefield.
    I'm not following.

No traditional handgun is going to have an explosive wound channel like a 5.56mm. They are all big, slow, solid pieces of metal. When you go slow, size matters greatly, which is why in black powder days, the calibers were enormous compared to what we have today. And .45 beats .40, it's basic math.

As far as combat performance, I'd have to give the nod to the .45ACP, which has been killing people quite easily since WW1.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      It's all your fault.
      Aha, so I get at least some credit for "reforming" you

Question, why did you go for RIA when more "reputed" models (amongst noobs like me) like Springfield are also available for just a little bit more?
      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
        I'm not following.

No traditional handgun is going to have an explosive wound channel like a 5.56mm. They are all big, slow, solid pieces of metal. When you go slow, size matters greatly, which is why in black powder days, the calibers were enormous compared to what we have today. And .45 beats .40, it's basic math.

As far as combat performance, I'd have to give the nod to the .45ACP, which has been killing people quite easily since WW1.
        What looks good on paper doesn't always translate to the real world. I am not knocking the .45 but I don't think the .40 is getting the credit it deserves. Being true to form the military will always end up running from 9mm to .45 and back again like a dog racing between two fire hydrants.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
          Aha, so I get at least some credit for "reforming" you

Question, why did you go for RIA when more "reputed" models (amongst noobs like me) like Springfield are also available for just a little bit more?
          RIA is cheap and I've heard very good things about it from 1911 fans. The Tactical model can't be beat at $527 out the door, with Kommiefornia taxes.

I was planning on a Springfield 1911 Mil Spec, until I saw the RIA 1911 Tac. Tac has Novak sights (much easier to spot and front sight is dovetailed), beavertail, skeletal trigger and hammer (no practical value, but look good), and did I mention cheap?

I admit the RIA's workmanship isn't at the level as a Sig, Kimber, or Springfield. But it's cheap.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

RIA is cheap and I've heard very good things about it from 1911 fans. The Tactical model can't be beat at $527 out the door, with Kommiefornia taxes.

I was planning on a Springfield 1911 Mil Spec, until I saw the RIA 1911 Tac. Tac has Novak sights (much easier to spot and front sight is dovetailed), beavertail, skeletal trigger and hammer (no practical value, but look good), and did I mention cheap?

I admit the RIA's workmanship isn't at the level as a Sig, Kimber, or Springfield. But it's cheap.
            So, am I hearing you right? You say the RIA M1911 is cheap? Or is it cheap?
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
              So, am I hearing you right? You say the RIA M1911 is cheap? Or is it cheap?
              We shouldn't use the word "cheap." The correct term should be "affordable."

Cheap also means lousy construction. Calling RIA 1911 "cheap" would be a disservice to crappy workmanship everywhere.

Comment

Cheap also means lousy construction. Calling RIA 1911 "cheap" would be a disservice to crappy workmanship everywhere.
                I have been trying to understand what this means. Is it really, really bad or not so bad and not actually crappy?

The problem with actually not owning a piece of this means going to Gun forums and reading about them, which mean (snooty) posters turning down their noses at anything below the higher brand names :pari:
                Last edited by antimony; 03 Aug 12,, 21:18.
                "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

I have been trying to understand what this means. Is it really, really bad or not so bad and not actually crappy?

The problem with actually not owning a piece of this means going to Gun forums and reading about them, which mean (snooty) posters turning down their noses at anything below the higher brand names :pari:
                  Well, I handled Kimber Custom II and Sig 1911 at the shop, as well as a Springfield xxx (forgot). The first thing that you would notice, comparing those 3 to an RIA, is the more expensive gun felt more solid. It's hard to describe. It could be a combination of less rattling, better balance (I know, same design, but...), and more polished finish.

Then comes the operations. The parts felt smoother on the more expensive guns. Not broken in, but "closer" to being broken in than the RIA.

I don't have extensive experience shooting any 1911 so I can't comment. I have never shot an RIA 1911.

The more expensive 1911s might be more accurate, to an expert. However I would not notice such a difference in performance. I'm a happy camper as long as the gun can lob rounds at the general area I'm aiming at.

I'm a firm believer in getting the most bang for your buck. Spending twice the money for a few percentage points of performance or feel is simply not worth it in my book. Guns are tools (I do collect, but not like mad). They are as effective as the man using them. I'm not very good at using them. So the last bit of performance is wasted on me. I'd rather spend the extra money on more ammo or more guns.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I think 1911 is a classy gun, but the SOF units in the US Army that don't use Barrettes are gravitating towards 40. cal Glocks these days.
                    All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                    -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Cool pic of ninjas with Glocks OK with you gunnut?
                      Attached Files
                      All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.

Comment

Triple,

That pic could have been a nice teaser for Robocop II a decade or two ago
                        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

one of my most prized 1911s is a mutt, essex frame, colt slide, very accurate though, paid 300 for it, would put it up against any high dollar 1911 any day. :Dancing-Banana:
                          CADPIPE

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                            Cool pic of ninjas with Glocks OK with you gunnut?[ATTACH]29733[/ATTACH]
                            Thought I saw that same pic on an airsoft site? :bang:
                            CADPIPE

Comment

Originally posted by cadpipe View Post
                              Thought I saw that same pic on an airsoft site? :bang:
                              Saw it on M-4 forums. And there are a couple of photos probably from the same public event with one of the dudes actually firing his weapon. Unless airsoft guns now have muzzle flash...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                                Saw it on M-4 forums. And there are a couple of photos probably from the same public event with one of the dudes actually firing his weapon. Unless airsoft guns now have muzzle flash...

Guy I know is into air soft competition, he had sent a while bunch of pics, one must have been similar. deja vous

i guess, dislexic deja vous! :bang:
                                CADPIPE

Comment

Working...
                                X