Good first gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good first gun?

Hey guys in the next year or so I'm planning on getting myself a first pistol or even maybe a rifle for some target shooting...any recommendations?
    "Draft beer, not people."

Pistol - anything .22
    Rilfe - .3030

Comment

.22 is great for target and ammo is cheap
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
        Hey guys in the next year or so I'm planning on getting myself a first pistol or even maybe a rifle for some target shooting...any recommendations?
        It might depend on previous experience, If you are a raw beginner, a .22 is an excellent choice, pistol or rifle, on the other hand if you qualified expert with every weapon in the military arsenal, you have many other choices. There are many .22 pistol choices, the Ruger Mark 2 semis are great, there are several .22s that are the same size and controls as a 1911. Taurus makes a 9 shot revolver that is a fun gun to shoot. Henry and others make .22 rifle lever guns, Marlins have always been fun .22 rifles. Remington has a .22 rifle for $175 with a nice scope on it. While the Ruger 10-22 is very popular, the bolt catch on mine is a pisser. If you want a larger fun to shoot rifle, there is the M1 carbine, they don't kick too much, fun to shoot, good enough for home defense. :)
        CADPIPE

Comment

the Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 is a very nice gun, good for medium size game, it has a respectable kick (not to much), a historic look and a very pleasing sound. Ammo is not as cheap as .22 but it can be reloaded and it isn't a rare or expensive caliber.
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

Yeah I was on the fence between a Ruger (friend recommended) or a Remington .22 for beginner level rifle shooting, maybe a .30-30 when I get more experience on the range...my friend has a Beretta 92FS and says it's a pretty good handgun, and ammo should be on the cheap side...however I wish I could say the same for the actual pistol.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
              Yeah I was on the fence between a Ruger (friend recommended) or a Remington .22 for beginner level rifle shooting, maybe a .30-30 when I get more experience on the range...my friend has a Beretta 92FS and says it's a pretty good handgun, and ammo should be on the cheap side...however I wish I could say the same for the actual pistol.
              So, How much actual shooting experience do you have? Sounds like none, in which case the .22 are the best choice to start, as you do not have to worry about recoil, and you can relax and learn to develop sight picture and trigger squeeze. If you are looking for plinking and self defense, a 9mm is the less expensive centerfire and the lesser recoil. A larger pistol like the Beretta 92, or Taurus PT 92, lessens the recoil with mass. Also as a beginner, it is probably better to have a pistol with a safety as opposed to a Glock. If there are kids in the home, a pistol with a magazine safety my be a good option, the adults can carry a mag on them, not one in the gun in case a child gets hold of it, no mag, gun won't fire, even if there is a round in it. :)
              CADPIPE

Comment

Red Team,

Do you have a budget set? Also some legal obstacles, being NY ;)
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Best first rifle is a bolt action .22 or lever action .22.
                  Best first handgun is a .22 Revolver.
                  Both have simple manual of arms. Harder to make mistakes, such as leaving a round in chamber in a semi auto. On the rifle, open the bolt or lever, on the revolver open the cylinder and instantly they are rendered safe.
                  Last edited by surfgun; 30 Oct 11,, 21:43.

Comment

Originally posted by cadpipe View Post
                    So, How much actual shooting experience do you have? Sounds like none, in which case the .22 are the best choice to start, as you do not have to worry about recoil, and you can relax and learn to develop sight picture and trigger squeeze. If you are looking for plinking and self defense, a 9mm is the less expensive centerfire and the lesser recoil. A larger pistol like the Beretta 92, or Taurus PT 92, lessens the recoil with mass. Also as a beginner, it is probably better to have a pistol with a safety as opposed to a Glock. If there are kids in the home, a pistol with a magazine safety my be a good option, the adults can carry a mag on them, not one in the gun in case a child gets hold of it, no mag, gun won't fire, even if there is a round in it. :)
                    I've shot a Glock one time but I don't go shooting on a regular basis so yeah I'm a bit of a novice...I'm thinking of buying a Ruger .22 rifle as my friend recommended me to get me started but I'm stuck between what I should use for practicing pistol shooting. I didn't think the 9mm was too bad recoilwise and the .22 is light as a BB gun so at that point it's up to pricing.

And Doktor my budget is like $200 at most so I might have to go .22 anyway. And I don't think the gun laws are as restrictive here as in like California, but I could always hop the border into Pennsylvania to get my hands on some cooler toys. ;)

Comment

I would go with .22 tho 9mm shouldn't be a problem beside the price.

However, before buying any particular model go to the range and try it. The grip and the balance are more important then the fancy looking. That goes especially if you are going for a pistol (imo more fun then a rifle if for target purposes only).
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                        I would go with .22 tho 9mm shouldn't be a problem beside the price.

However, before buying any particular model go to the range and try it. The grip and the balance are more important then the fancy looking. That goes especially if you are going for a pistol (imo more fun then a rifle if for target purposes only).
                        Yep yep, ergonomics is the center of a product.

Comment

The Ruger 10/22 is a great .22 rifle - I've had one for 30 yrs - never a complaint. But the manual guns, like bolt action or lever, stretch the ammo better - a pump 22 is really fun too.;)

Very different pistol and rifle, analogous to motorcycle and car IMO. Both are fun, if you have only one - I suggest the rifle.:)
                          Last edited by USSWisconsin; 31 Oct 11,, 02:51.

Comment

Yeah I think the Ruger 10/22 is the one that was recommended to me earlier for a semi auto option.

As to choosing between a pistol and a rifle though...I still hold on to the hope that I can have both.

Comment

Rifle- Marlin 795- They are the most affordable of the semi-auto 22s. you can usually find them on sale for about $100.

Pistol-Sig 1911-22- They are affordable and prepare you to operate and be responsible with a 1911. I just bought one for $380.

If those two had been available when I first started shooting they would have been my pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X