No announcement yet.

Good first gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savage Mark II TR - .22 LR (SKU 25745), comes with their "AccuTrigger", a fluted heavy 22 inch barrel with 1:16 twist, is drilled and tapped for scope mounts (might have weaver style bases pre-installed, not sure), is 7.5 pounds without optics.

Comment

Hey all. I've got my safety training next week and expect to get my license delivered in about February next year. I'm wanting to whack foxes, cats, rabbits and hare as well as doing some target shooting and perhaps enter the odd metallic silhouette competition. I'm not that good a shot and generally used to pull groups at 100 metres of what a good shot would at 200 in the Army, so I don't see the point in initially getting an expensive centrefire with expensive ammo when I can't make ethical use of it's capabilities at long range. Therefore I'm going to be getting a .22 magnum, which I've read will shoot flat out to 125 metres and is adequate to reasonably ensure a clean kill on fox or a cat at sub 100 metre ranges and to kill a rabbit without destroying too much of the meat.

I'm thinking about getting a Marlin XT-22M, XT-22MTSL or XT-22MTW as they are priced very reasonably, leaving me enough to purchase good quality optics. You know that is important if you've ever fired an Austeyr which originally had lousy optics, there is nothing worse than a scope which fogs at the wrong moment!

A couple of questions from anybody here who can answer them. What are peoples experiences with Marlins, specifically reliability, durability, accuracy and access to after market parts. Secondly, what are people's opinions of tubular versus box magazines?

Cheers.
      Last edited by Aussiegunner; 28 Nov 11,, 04:37.
      "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

Comment

I've had good luck with all the Marlins I've used (I never used one for long range shooting, just plinking and brush terrain deer hunting). Tubular mags are good for normal use (they might keep the ammo cleaner and drier in normal situations), the box offers faster relaoding, but for recreational shooting or small game hunting, that shouldn't matter very much.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Thanks Wiscey

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiegunner View Post
            Hey all. I've got my safety training next week and expect to get my license delivered in about February next year. I'm wanting to whack foxes, cats, rabbits and hare as well as doing some target shooting and perhaps enter the odd metallic silhouette competition. I'm not that good a shot and generally used to pull groups at 100 metres of what a good shot would at 200 in the Army, so I don't see the point in initially getting an expensive centrefire with expensive ammo when I can't make ethical use of it's capabilities at long range. Therefore I'm going to be getting a .22 magnum, which I've read will shoot flat out to 125 metres and is adequate to reasonably ensure a clean kill on fox or a cat at sub 100 metre ranges and to kill a rabbit without destroying too much of the meat.

I'm thinking about getting a Marlin XT-22M, XT-22MTSL or XT-22MTW as they are priced very reasonably, leaving me enough to purchase good quality optics. You know that is important if you've ever fired an Austeyr which originally had lousy optics, there is nothing worse than a scope which fogs at the wrong moment!

A couple of questions from anybody here who can answer them. What are peoples experiences with Marlins, specifically reliability, durability, accuracy and access to after market parts. Secondly, what are people's opinions of tubular versus box magazines?

Cheers.
            Marlins are usually of impeccable quality. I have a few ranging from 45-70 govt. cal to .22 LR. Never, never a single problem with my mag fed or tubular. I like both btw, but may lean more towards tubular for slow paced plinking. For faster shooting, get the mag, but you have to buy extras, as I believe marlin offers no more than ten rounders.

You are on the right track on your optics though. A rule of thumb is, if you spent twice as much on the gun as you did the scope, you are in for trouble with the scope. Never cheapen your optic, I can testify, sadly.

Comment

I haven't mod'd a Marlin (beyond adding optics), never had a reason to, they were fine as they were. The .22 RF Mag is an excellent cartridge, it does everything it is advertized to do, powerful, a flat trajectory well beyond 100 yards and deadly to small game - it would do a nasty number on two legged predators too. It is also quite reasonably priced for such a potent cartridge. I had a couple guns that were chambered for them, and never had any trouble or complaints.
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

Thanks gents. Since I mainly want it as a field rifle and 12 rounds at the ready will be fine for that, I'm going for a tube. It costs $80 or so more but if I go for mags I'll spend more than that on extras and it is just one more thing to lose or forget. Do you guys have any experience with the Rossi Rio Grande? They go for a very reasonable less than $600 so I thought one in 30/30 for cowboy lever action comps and as a close country deer, pig and goat gun. Also 7S, is there an upper limit to that optics rule? I mean, if I ever could afford a $2000 rifle aren't $1000 scopes of sufficient quality to make any gun work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiegunner View Post
                  Also 7S, is there an upper limit to that optics rule? I mean, if I ever could afford a $2000 rifle aren't $1000 scopes of sufficient quality to make any gun work for you?
                  A 2G rifle should be just fine with a $700-1000 Kahles, nikon, etc. You won't regret it like I did once. I put a $300 scope on my M1A and the replacement is now broke. I may have to eat it. About $700 should get me a really good one.

I couldn't recommend anything over that. A nightforce, horus, or the like (2gs and more) are unneccesary overkill IMO.
                  Last edited by Blue; 30 Nov 11,, 05:06.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                    A 2G rifle should be just fine with a $700-1000 Kahles, nikon, etc. You won't regret it like I did once. I put a $300 scope on my M1A and the replacement is now broke. I may have to eat it. About $700 should get me a really good one.

I couldn't recommend anything over that. A nightforce, horus, or the like (2gs and more) are unneccesary overkill IMO.
                    Thanks again 7S,

What do you (and anybody else) think of rimfire scopes for the ranges I am talking about? As I understand it they have the parallax set at about 50 metres which is appropriate for rimfire ranges. I've been internet browsing and they seem to go for up to about $500 for a Leupold 3-9 X 33. They cost more for higher magnification than that but I've been lead to understand that for the type of game that I'm after having a low range of magnification is important for target acquisition. I'm thinking a Leupold VX-1 in 2 to 7 by 28 to give me the low magnification, but am open to suggestions about a 3 x 9 or a fixed 4.
                    Last edited by Aussiegunner; 30 Nov 11,, 16:46.

Comment

• PS, this is way better than asking questions on an actual firearms forum. To many macho wankers on there for me I'm afraid.

Comment

• Once at a show, my brother had spotted a Martini which was rechambered into the .38 pistol round. He always regretted not getting it.

Despite some of the stuff I own, there's something relaxing about sitting with a single shot and an open box of ammo, plinking away.

Since we reload and cast anyway, the cost probably wouldn't be much more than .22, anyway.

Ed-

Comment

• Originally posted by Zad Fnark View Post
                          Once at a show, my brother had spotted a Martini which was rechambered into the .38 pistol round. He always regretted not getting it.

Despite some of the stuff I own, there's something relaxing about sitting with a single shot and an open box of ammo, plinking away.

Since we reload and cast anyway, the cost probably wouldn't be much more than .22, anyway.

Ed-
                          I also find plinking to be very relaxing, slow fire is the whole point, producing a spray of bullets is exciting, but it is something else compared to careful deliberate shooting at an inert target, with no thought of being in a hurry.

Comment

• I've got one of those Savage MK2 .22 bolt guns. I put a $120 Nikon scope on it. It is a tack driver... an awesome rifle, and a real value. I cut and threaded the muzzle for a silencer. Death to tree rats! ;)

Comment

• Btw Whisky, I was just thinking about your comment about 22mag and 2 legged predators. Apparently at 100 metres it hits as hard as a 22lr at the muzzle. I imagine at the muzzle it might hit like a 5.56mm at 200 or 300 metres, easily good enough to take a man down if you hit him in the right area, especially with the double tap. With hollow point ammo it probably wouldn't go too far through walls either and it is low recoil, so even a person of small stature can load it. It isn't relevant in Oz because self defence isn't a legitimate reason for firearm ownership and they must be in a safe with ammo stored separately when not in use, but in the US the semi auto mag fed marlins (also illegal here non occupatiinal shooters) would seem to be just the thing for home defence, especially where tight pistol restrictions apply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aussiegunner View Post
                                Btw Whisky, I was just thinking about your comment about 22mag and 2 legged predators. Apparently at 100 metres it hits as hard as a 22lr at the muzzle. I imagine at the muzzle it might hit like a 5.56mm at 200 or 300 metres, easily good enough to take a man down if you hit him in the right area, especially with the double tap. With hollow point ammo it probably wouldn't go too far through walls either and it is low recoil, so even a person of small stature can load it. It isn't relevant in Oz because self defence isn't a legitimate reason for firearm ownership and they must be in a safe with ammo stored separately when not in use, but in the US the semi auto mag fed marlins (also illegal here non occupatiinal shooters) would seem to be just the thing for home defence, especially where tight pistol restrictions apply.
                                From my experience, even with hollow points it is very penetrating ammo, it is definately effective for self defense, but I wouldn't consider it very safe from over penetration issues - I'm pretty sure it would go through a couple interior walls, even with a hollow point. My sister and I both had Ruger single sixes with cylinders for regular .22 and .22 mag - would have sucked to get shot with those .22 mag hollow points... The .22 mag was what we both considered to be the preferred SD handgun load at the time (1970's and 80's), very accurate and pretty easy to control the recoil (still a couple times more than a .22 LR). I would want my loved ones behind me if I was going to open up in the house with those little fellas. These days I wouldn't pick .22 mag for SD, Air Safe, Glazer or Mag Safe ammo and a .40 S&W are much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X