No announcement yet.

Good first gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suppose I stuck my nose in and caused trouble - sorry - the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I was trying to help out and explain what I thought someone else might have found offensive. I was not claiming to be offended ot trying to critizie anyones posts here. I am not an animal acitivist or PETA type, I used to hunt - I'm just too old and fragile to do it anymore.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
      I suppose I stuck my nose in and caused trouble - sorry - the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I was trying to help out and explain what I thought someone else might have found offensive. I was not claiming to be offended ot trying to critizie anyones posts here. I am not an animal acitivist or PETA type, I used to hunt - I'm just too old and fragile to do it anymore.
      Whisky, I welcome your always well-considered opinions, positive or negative. No need for apologies. My post as initially written was counterproductive, and I was able to change it.
      Last edited by JRT; 02 Jan 12,, 05:01.

Comment

• Originally posted by tgbyhn View Post
        If you're a beginner - .22.

You can go out on the weekend and shoot from sunrise to sundown without putting a dent in your pocket.

.30-06 - $1 per round
        .223 - 50 to 60 cents per round
        .22 - 5 cents per round

I also had a Ruger 10/22, Bushnell scope with a banana clip - could go out on a Saturday or Sunday and shoot all day for $20. Highly recommend it as a beginner's rifle.
        For comparing airguns to that...
        I checked current prices of some JSB match grade pellets at Airguns of Arizona:
        (Pyramid Air might be cheaper, didn't look there)
        .25 cal "Exact KING", 25.4 grain, 350 count per tin, 4 tins for $55.80 + shipping
        .22 cal "Jumbo Heavy EXACT", 18.1 grain, 500 count per tin, 4 tins for $55.80 + shipping
        .177 cal "Match Diabolo", 8.2 grain, 500 count per tin, 4 tins for $45.00 + shipping.

Vogel's .177 cal match grade pellets are $120/5000 + shipping from PilkGuns (Pilkington Competition Equip.).

There are much less expensive pellets available that may work very well in a particular airgun, perhaps after some cleaning and sorting, maybe after lubrication, and/or maybe after tweaking power settings. You don't know what works best until you find it with some experimentation.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRT View Post
          .25 cal "Exact KING", 25.4 grain, 350 count per tin, 4 tins for $55.80 + shipping
          .22 cal "Jumbo Heavy EXACT", 18.1 grain, 500 count per tin, 4 tins for $55.80 + shipping
          .177 cal "Match Diabolo", 8.2 grain, 500 count per tin, 4 tins for $45.00 + shipping.

Vogel's .177 cal match grade pellets are $120/5000 + shipping from PilkGuns (Pilkington Competition Equip.).

There are much less expensive pellets available that may work very well in a particular airgun, perhaps after some cleaning and sorting, maybe after lubrication, and/or maybe after tweaking power settings. You don't know what works best until you find it with some experimentation.
          And you can save on range fees with an air gun if you have a suitable area for an improvised indoor or outdoor range.
          "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

Comment

• Originally posted by JRT View Post

And you can save on range fees with an air gun if you have a suitable area for an improvised indoor or outdoor range.
            "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

Comment

• The video below provides a good example of a popular style of pellet trap.

There is info at this link regarding suitable thickness of duct seal to stop pellets.

Comment

Working...
              X