Registration Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration Question

I'm a bit puzzled on federal firearms regulations. I was recently given a pistol by my father as a Christmas gift, an old Sig Sauer that he has owned for a very long time and is registered in his name in Maryland. I live in Michigan, but I've never bothered to get a Michigan ID because I'm a student. For various circumstances that I won't get into, it makes more sense to stay ID'd in Maryland for me right now.

My question is this, how imperative is it that I register the weapon to my name, in my city, ASAP? It would be best if I could wait until summer time to get my crap in order in Maryland, retaining my MD identification until that time, but I don't want to get in serious trouble over this needlessly. My understanding is that where a gun is registered, and in who's possession it is in, isn't as important as it simply being registered and accounted for in the federal registry. Is this accurate?

Your gun is not "registered" to begin with. Gun registration is illegal. The only paperwork on the purchase is for backround check and it stays at the gun store. Your father can legally give you the firearm if you are legal to own it in the state in which you posess it. Types of guns legal for posession vary state to state. Those are the only rules that matter.

Comment

In Michigan, a person "shall not purchase, carry, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol," as prescribed in MCL 28.422. These licenses shall be obtained by the local police agency. If the city, township, or village does not have an organized police agency, the license shall be obtained by the county sheriff department.

There is an exception for a person licensed in Michigan to carry a concealed pistol. He or she must obtain a Pistol Sales Record (RI-060) any time he or she purchases or otherwise acquires a pistol, pursuant to MCL 28.422a.

The police authority will check for any criminal record at both the state and national level.

So while you are correct, I can't even legally transport my pistol to a range without acquiring a license. I might as well just go change my ID and get the CPL, if I'm going to go through the trouble anyways.

Comment

And you are in effect registering yourself. the license is issued to you, not the gun, and yep, you might as well get the concealed permit for your trouble.

YOu guys basically have what we used to have in Missouri. There was a five day wait period that allowed the sheriff dept to run a background check, that was ruled obsolete by NICS a few years back and the legislature repealed that stupid law, but you basically obtained a license to purchase and then you did, but that only pertained to purchases, not to gifts, and it was only for handguns.

You should write your legislature and see about getting the law updated like we did.......It could happen.;)

Comment

Darn... I thought he was talking about NFA registration. NFA weapons are in fact registered/papered to an individual or an entity. Title 1 (normal guns) are not.

Sniper is correct, each State has its own set of rules, and one ignores them at one's own peril... and they can be onerous, unless you live in one of the free States. God Bless Texas! ;)

Comment

What's really frustrating is the degree of lattitude that county officials have. I have a CCL for Washington State, and my business is in Oregon. Oregon does not recognize the WA license, but there is a provision in State law that allows a resident of a bordering state to get an Oregon license, and business owners are allowed to be armed within their premises regardless.

But the decision to issue the permit is made by the Sherriff, and the Sherriff of the county my business is in doesn't issue non-resident licenses.

And the transport laws are so onerous, that I would have to bring the pistol in one day, dismantled, and then the ammo on a different day, and I would have to leave the gun in the shop- couldn't carry it in the truck back and forth each day.

There is a friendly Sherriff in Eastern Oregon, so next summer I am planning a trip over there to get an Oregon license.

We need national reciprocity, I hope John Thune brings it back up this Congress.
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Don't even get me started about gun laws in kommiefornia.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

So, is there anything anyone can tell me about the gun laws in California?
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                  So, is there anything anyone can tell me about the gun laws in California?
                  Just hadda do it didn ya?

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                    We need national reciprocity, I hope John Thune brings it back up this Congress.
                    That would be great and I see it happening someday soon. Until then, I like my Missouri license which is good in all but 4 states..................... and they can suck it!

Comment

damn. Washington has reciprocity with 10 states, but none of them border us.

So you can't cross the State line anywhere with a gun in the car.

edit: Wow, I looked closer- I guess there are 23 that will honor my license. Only 10 of them are honored in WA. So that's a lot better, at least we can go east with our guns. :)
                      Last edited by highsea; 05 Feb 11,, 02:32.
                      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                        Just hadda do it didn ya?
                        Someone had to, why not me?
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                          damn. Washington has reciprocity with 10 states, but none of them border us.

So you can't cross the State line anywhere with a gun in the car.

edit: Wow, I looked closer- I guess there are 23 that will honor my license. Only 10 of them are honored in WA. So that's a lot better, at least we can go east with our guns. :)
                          More states will open up for you if you get a Utah permit. Sadly, the blue hairs in Oregon don't want reciprocity with anyone. If you have to get one in oregon stay out of the Portland metro area and it shouldn't be a problem.
                          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Our new governor is "One Tough Nerd" Snyder, and both houses are majority conservative now, and a bill in in the works to reduce or eliminate the state "gun free zones." I haven't read it, but I am more or less in support of such legislation. So maybe I'll be able to concealed carry in places where, uh, crimes might actually occur and I'll need protection. What a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                              If you have to get one in oregon stay out of the Portland metro area and it shouldn't be a problem.
                              Grant and Josephine counties will issue to non-residents. In both cases, it means a long drive and overnite stay for me. Not really sure Oregon is worth it- I can be armed within my shop without a license anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X