Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ak74

In 220 (5.45mm x 39). 56gr FMJ BT

I spent two days on the range with this particular weapon. A superb rifle without any modifications, extremely accurate. Russian mil/surplus ammo. The projectiles have a small hollow cavity beneath their point which allows the lead to fly forward on impact, like a marble in a can, and causes the bullet to yaw in tissue. I've heard the design was partly to circumvent the Hague convention.

One of the best rifles I have fired recently.
    Last edited by Red Seven; 09 Dec 10,, 22:45.

And more importantly it doesn't get's cleanly through the target if the individual is skinny or at very close ranges.Wherever it hits it hurts.The Mujaheddins called the 5.45 the devil's round.The recoil is very gentle.Next time you should try to shoot armor steel plates.You may see some very interesting results.Former BTR APC got a few holes at 50 to 100m.
    IMO,with a few modifications,like a Picatinny rail for optics ,adjustable stock,a selector for 3 round bursts(like the Polish Tantal) and maybe a g36 style magazine it's the gun that's closest to perfection.But I've yet to shoot a HK416
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
      And more importantly it doesn't get's cleanly through the target if the individual is skinny or at very close ranges.Wherever it hits it hurts.The Mujaheddins called the 5.45 the devil's round.The recoil is very gentle.Next time you should try to shoot armor steel plates.You may see some very interesting results.Former BTR APC got a few holes at 50 to 100m.
      IMO,with a few modifications,like a Picatinny rail for optics ,adjustable stock,a selector for 3 round bursts(like the Polish Tantal) and maybe a g36 style magazine it's the gun that's closest to perfection.But I've yet to shoot a HK416

It was my first experience with this caliber. There is ferocity--for lack of a better word--in the look of these small rounds. My first impression was needle-like...my second was ouch, wouldn't want to get hit with one of these nasty little dudes.

Comment

Love the AK74 and the 5.45x39mm round. Practically no recoil, nice flat-shooting, easy to use and maintain (as an AK should be). If they had better sights, they'd be about as close to a perfect rifle for me.
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

All in all, this gun is cheap, reliable, deadly, easy to maintain, and your all around best friend in the battlefield, if I had one I would never trade this gun for any other. The Mujaheddin have every reason to call the 5.45 x 39mm the devil's round.
          Can you please pass da pork and flate?

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
            Love the AK74 and the 5.45x39mm round. Practically no recoil, nice flat-shooting, easy to use and maintain (as an AK should be). If they had better sights, they'd be about as close to a perfect rifle for me.
            Did you ever tried putting a Picatinny rail and mounting some optics?As a matter of fact I'm curious about any experiences with Ak's and optics.
            Those who know don't speak
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

it is possible.... AK74s use weaver rails for optic mounts
              Can you please pass da pork and flate?

Comment

What's your experience with the .30-30? Fanboys aside, I found no one who wants a military round to be the survivor round.

Comment

it works, i had side rail on ak, not 5,45, the gun\sight was accurate enough to hit a cd at 100 yards every time, could even hit tennis ball 4 out of 5 times, but wouldn't attempt to aim beyond 200yards, ak has its limits.
                  too bad that ak was stamped receiver, my slr95 seemed more accurate with iron sights than stamped receiver one, i would assume if i could install optic on solid mount on milled receiver ak (i tried those receiver cover rails, gas tube rails, all garbage, i could never zero in, totally useless as sight platform), it would be more accurate. but in any case i doubt i would be able to hit a golf ball from ak at 100 yars, optics or iron sights.
                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    What's your experience with the .30-30? Fanboys aside, I found no one who wants a military round to be the survivor round.
                    I liked the 30-30, nice brush gun for deer, it was effective, light recoil, accurate and relatively inexpensive to shoot back in the 70's and 80's, haven't fired one since then, I had a nice Winchester model 94 lever action in that caliber and it was a fine hunting rifle. My uncle had one in .32 Winchester special, perhaps a little better in brush but ammo was twice as much money. In WI and AR the ranges common for hunting medium game didn't need a high powered round like the .308 or 30-06 very often. I still like my Remington Woodsmaster 740 though in 30-06, it is a sweet gun too.
                    Last edited by USSWisconsin; 17 Dec 10,, 06:36.
                    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by Red Seven View Post
                      In 220 (5.45mm x 39). 56gr FMJ BT

I spent two days on the range with this particular weapon. A superb rifle without any modifications, extremely accurate. Russian mil/surplus ammo. The projectiles have a small hollow cavity beneath their point which allows the lead to fly forward on impact, like a marble in a can, and causes the bullet to yaw in tissue. I've heard the design was partly to circumvent the Hague convention.

One of the best rifles I have fired recently.
                      The next time you decide to pick up interesting rifles, how about a spot on youtube for a review. It would be much appreciated.

Comment

Meh, I find the .30-30 to be somewhat of a lame duck round. It's no good past 200 yards, and its ballistics is that of a giant bell curve. Energy-wise, it's enough for deer, but I wouldn't put it up against anything much bigger than that. Because of the rimmed casing, AFAIK there are very few to none semi-autos chambered in it. I would honestly take an AK47 in 7.62x39mm over any lever-action .30-30 for mulitple reasons. The AK round has very similar ballistics to a .30-30, while being in a much more compact package that can be put into high-capacity magazines (illegal for hunting, but I think you're mentioning it as a survival gun). Accuracy-wise, I haven't shot any sort of .30-30 that's any more accurate than my SAR-1, so again a moot point. Ammo's so, so much cheaper too.

As for the AK74, I've only shot mine with iron sights. I've never shot an AK series rifle with any sort of optic.
                        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Meh, I find the .30-30 to be somewhat of a lame duck round. It's no good past 200 yards, and its ballistics is that of a giant bell curve. Energy-wise, it's enough for deer, but I wouldn't put it up against anything much bigger than that. Because of the rimmed casing, AFAIK there are very few to none semi-autos chambered in it. I would honestly take an AK47 in 7.62x39mm over any lever-action .30-30 for mulitple reasons. The AK round has very similar ballistics to a .30-30, while being in a much more compact package that can be put into high-capacity magazines (illegal for hunting, but I think you're mentioning it as a survival gun). Accuracy-wise, I haven't shot any sort of .30-30 that's any more accurate than my SAR-1, so again a moot point. Ammo's so, so much cheaper too.

As for the AK74, I've only shot mine with iron sights. I've never shot an AK series rifle with any sort of optic.
                          I agree, I wouldn't pick it a survival round, back then the AK wasn't one of the options available to me, and the 30-30 was. I think its time has passed, better things are available now and they are also cheaper. It still has nostalgia value, a lot of people grew up hunting with them, and the old model 94's are very iconic with old western (cowboy) enthusiasts - very reliable too (I know the AK is very reliable too, and has much more firepower).
                          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Don't shortchange the .30-30. It is well known to take elk, moose and even black bear and will continue to do so in the hands of a decent marksman/hunter.

That being said I would prefer my SAR3 for a survival gun. Namely because the .223 ammo could be easily found and the gun reloads faster. Lastly because I already have the SAR3, and cases of ammo for it.
                            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Son, quoted with technology. The .30-30 could be hand made. The AK-47 was an industrial rifle. Get the freaking point?

Comment

Working...
                              X