Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a 50. bmg capable of punching through some military IFV's and APC's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a 50. bmg capable of punching through some military IFV's and APC's?

We all know the M107/M82 is an anti-material rifle that is also very good at stopping incoming vehicles. But I'm wondering what are it's limitations on military vehicles such as the BMP-1/2/3 and apc's such as a M113. Assuming we are using 29 inch barrel (more or less) rifle with APIT match rounds.

Originally posted by roffelskates View Post
    We all know the M107/M82 is an anti-material rifle that is also very good at stopping incoming vehicles. But I'm wondering what are it's limitations on military vehicles such as the BMP-1/2/3 and apc's such as a M113. Assuming we are using 29 inch barrel (more or less) rifle with APIT match rounds.
    The M113 Gavin is basically invulnerable against all small arms, crew-served heavy machine guns, anti-tank weaponry and all sizes of IED, unlike the death-trap Stryker truck that should be replaced with upgraded Super Gavins.

Oh wait I'm sorry, I thought I was a totally pathetic hack named Mike Sparks.

Sheesh, how embarrassing! :(
    Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

I have no idea who that is in reference to...

Comment

Originally posted by roffelskates View Post
        I have no idea who that is in reference to...
        Do a search on "Mike Sparks, Gavin" and you'll see...

Anyways, back to your question, yes, a 50 BMG round can punch through some IFV/APV armor. I believe the BMP series of IFV are only resistant to 7.62mm AP rounds on the sides. Most, if not all, APVs are resistant to 50 BMG on the front.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Also depends alot on what round you are using as well. Theres about 25 different tpes of .50 BMG rounds.

Comment

Don't they have a .50 sabot round? Though I think it is only cleared for use in M2.

Comment

M903 Caliber .50 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator (SLAP), M962 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator Tracer (SLAPT)

Here, pretty cool round.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                The M113 Gavin is basically invulnerable against all small arms, crew-served heavy machine guns, anti-tank weaponry and all sizes of IED, unlike the death-trap Stryker truck that should be replaced with upgraded Super Gavins.

Even with Geo-Cities gone, he still haunts people's nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

I used to feel the M-113 was a better vehicle than the Stryker until they went into combat. The 113's flat bottom doesn't deal with mines as well as a Stryker's higher, rounder/vee shaped hull in comparison. I can't say I like the 113 over the Stryker, because I feel they are two different animals designed for two different tasks, and are given jobs that they were not designed for. The only reason I would pick the 113 over the Stryker is I worked on the 113 and feel tracks are better for off road travel than wheels.
                  Life is too short for bad coffee!

Comment

Working...
                  X