Webley revolvers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webley revolvers

Anyone ever shot one? Owned one? Still have one?

We don't see these neat revolvers in the states that often. I figure with them serving the British Empire for decades throughout the world in the early 20th century, someone, somewhere, should have a stockpile to bring to the US.

I heard many of these were scrapped for various reasons. That's just too bad. We are literally melting down history. I wish they can be brought to the states for safe keeping by collectors.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    Anyone ever shot one? Owned one? Still have one?

We don't see these neat revolvers in the states that often. I figure with them serving the British Empire for decades throughout the world in the early 20th century, someone, somewhere, should have a stockpile to bring to the US.

I heard many of these were scrapped for various reasons. That's just too bad. We are literally melting down history. I wish they can be brought to the states for safe keeping by collectors.
    GN,

The Webley revolvers (or their clones) are standard issue for many Indian Police Departments.

I cannot access this from work, but check out Ordnance factory Board of India if you can. They make clones of the Webley for police issue.

Knaur A is looking to get one in 32 caliber

Recently one of our friends had a request from a cop based in Calcutta. that guys needs to carry a piece ( a rarity since cops on general duty do not carry, but this guy is in VIP protection) and he needed a Shoulder holster for that.

When we asked what revolver it was (so that we could find a proper carrying rig) he said that it was his 32 caliber Webley Scott
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

That'll be pretty cool if someone could import Indian copy of the Webley chambered for either a more common 32 caliber revolver cartridge or the 38 special. Even better, surplus Webley Mark VI in the original 455 Webley.

Is the 38 special round common in India? I think this is fairly common in east Asian countries' police forces.

Comment

I'd love to have a good breakopen revolver.

-dale

Comment

a local gun shop a while back had a refinished enfield, similar to the webley, shot 38 S&W, but they had no ammo, it was 200 dollars. Thay got me and a friend looking at webleys, especially .45 or .455, and we found out they are very expensive.
          CADPIPE

Comment

That'll be pretty cool if someone could import Indian copy of the Webley chambered for either a more common 32 caliber revolver cartridge or the 38 special. Even better, surplus Webley Mark VI in the original 455 Webley.

Is the 38 special round common in India? I think this is fairly common in east Asian countries' police forces.
            The Calcutta Police (recently renamed Kolkata Police) issues 38 sp. revolvers to Assistant Sub Inspector (one grade below Sgt.) and above. Ranks below that do not carry arms unless they are part of the armed units.

The Armed Police units are equipped with

- DRUMROLL -

.303 Lee Enfields (though some units have received the FN FAL type SLRs)

An interesting side note is that Calcutta is probably more anglophillic than other parts of India. The bengali intellengensia had a decent rapport with the Brits (paradoxically the armed revolutions againts the british also started from Bengal). Kolkata Police was modelled on Scotland Yard, they even have a department called Special Branch for "intelligence gathering"
            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

That'll be pretty cool if someone could import Indian copy of the Webley chambered for either a more common 32 caliber revolver cartridge or the 38 special. Even better, surplus Webley Mark VI in the original 455 Webley. Is the 38 special round common in India? I think this is fairly common in east Asian countries' police forces.
              Webleys use .38 S&W, so it is slightly different from .38 Special. A few police agencies bought a bunch of Rugers in .38 Special in 1990s, so it might have now joined the .38 S&W in the list of prohibited bores. So basically, no, they are not very common in India.

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
                Webleys use .38 S&W, so it is slightly different from .38 Special. A few police agencies bought a bunch of Rugers in .38 Special in 1990s, so it might have now joined the .38 S&W in the list of prohibited bores. So basically, no, they are not very common in India.
                I guess common as in used in numbers by anyone, not necessarily civilians.

I don't understand this concept of restricting civilians from "military" calibers. South America has similar legislations. Their military use (mostly) 9x19mm pistols. So the civilians are restricted to 380ACP. How about something much larger than what the "military" has? Say 44 magnum...:))

Comment

Originally posted by cadpipe View Post
                  a local gun shop a while back had a refinished enfield, similar to the webley, shot 38 S&W, but they had no ammo, it was 200 dollars. Thay got me and a friend looking at webleys, especially .45 or .455, and we found out they are very expensive.
                  Heh, I figure if anyone would have it, you would.

One of these days I will have to barge into your house, drink your beer and shoot your guns.

You didn't buy the Enfield for $200?

Comment

Back in the 50's you could find hundreds of Webleys converted over from the British .455 to the American .45 ACP using half moon clips.

They were very rugged and dependable but not all that accurate and (truthfully) a bit on the ugly side.

I had a Colt DA once that used half moon clips, but the small recoil plate around the firing pin had a tendency to fall out. I had that happen to me once and the gun only went "BRFFFFT" and the bullet bounced down along the concrete floor of the range.

Not looking at whether I had a recoil plate or not, I thought is was the ammo, though it was military hard ball. The next one went "PFFFFT" and shot fire out the sides of the rear face of the cylinder. So we called a halt to the firing to look for the bullet. We found it about three quarters of the way down the barrel.

I kept those bullets for a long time, including the .30 caliber Carbine bullet that bounced off my helmet. But that was a long time ago and nowhere to be found in my gun cabinet anymore.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

I don't understand this concept of restricting civilians from "military" calibers. South America has similar legislations. Their military use (mostly) 9x19mm pistols. So the civilians are restricted to 380ACP. How about something much larger than what the "military" has? Say 44 magnum...:))
                      I don't think it has anything to do with size or power - one of the best rounds you can get in India is the 30-06, which is more powerful than .303 (a prohibited bore).

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                        Back in the 50's you could find hundreds of Webleys converted over from the British .455 to the American .45 ACP using half moon clips.

They were very rugged and dependable but not all that accurate and (truthfully) a bit on the ugly side.

I had a Colt DA once that used half moon clips, but the small recoil plate around the firing pin had a tendency to fall out. I had that happen to me once and the gun only went "BRFFFFT" and the bullet bounced down along the concrete floor of the range.

Not looking at whether I had a recoil plate or not, I thought is was the ammo, though it was military hard ball. The next one went "PFFFFT" and shot fire out the sides of the rear face of the cylinder. So we called a halt to the firing to look for the bullet. We found it about three quarters of the way down the barrel.

I kept those bullets for a long time, including the .30 caliber Carbine bullet that bounced off my helmet. But that was a long time ago and nowhere to be found in my gun cabinet anymore.
                        Wasn't that kinda dangerous?

The sear spring in my SAA clone broke once. The cylinder was not locked. I dropped the hammer. It missed the primer, several times. Now that I think about it, if it had hit the primer with the cylinder misaligned...it could have been ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
                          I don't think it has anything to do with size or power - one of the best rounds you can get in India is the 30-06, which is more powerful than .303 (a prohibited bore).
                          That's just weird. You can't have the same round that the military/police use. You can have something more powerful. It just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Heh, I figure if anyone would have it, you would.

One of these days I will have to barge into your house, drink your beer and shoot your guns.

You didn't buy the Enfield for $200?
                            on that particular day, I was picking up a S&W 610 revolver I had ordered, and then had to decide between the Enfield and the kimber 10mm, both of which caught my eye, choose the Kimber, checked back on the enfield after I found a place that carried the ammo, but it was gone. :( Webley or enfield would be nice to have just as a neat relic, and 200 was not a bad price.
                            CADPIPE

Comment

Local Gunshop has a Webley Revolver, 38 S&W, for 599$. not that much different from the Enfield that was 200$. Wish I had bought the enfield:( Guess it would be non buyers remorse!
                              Last edited by cadpipe; 23 Aug 09,, 03:17. Reason: why not
                              CADPIPE

Comment

Working...
                              X