This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    Commies have closed the desert to save some turtles so I can't go there no more. Shooting at paper target is just not the same. I don't want to hunt. I think it's cruel to the animals. Maybe I should move to Vegas...
    Some parts of the country are still free....mostly. Around here we have a lot of tailing piles leftover from lead and zinc mining about a hundred years ago. The local term is "chats" or "chatpiles" We usually shoot there and kinda think of it as putting some of the lead back. About the hunting, if you don't mind my asking? I don't think I ever met anyone who shoots and feels that way. I know people who shoot and don't care to hunt and hunters who only bow hunt and occasionaly, hate guns. If you don't like shooting paper, what do you shoot?

I'm seriously not trying to argue a point or trying to change the way you feel, just genuinely curious.

I will add that I think the majority of hunting shows give a bad impression (literally cruel) of hunting and I can't even say how I feel about canned hunts. Nothing I have ever shot went one more step and We always eat whatever I kill and you will not find one "trophy" on my wall. Quick is humane in my opinion. I would hope to recieve the same consideration.

Comment

• Well Its been said that .45s dont expand like some other smaller calibers but it will NEVER be smaller than a .45!
      And around twice as heavy! :))
      "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." - Emiliano Zapata

Comment

• I wonder if there such a thing as caliber envy?

Comment

• [QUOTE=7thsfsniper;468812]M1A loaded-duracoat camo job on a bedded fiberglass stock-harris bipod-8-32 side adjust w/1/8moa and mil-dot ret(what else for an ex-army sniper)

Comment

• Hi, I have -
            1. (for my EDC) a mildly tweaked Springfield 1911 Mil Spec with a couple non-critical Yost/Bonitz parts.
            2. Steyr SSG P2 with a 10x42 Kahles ZF95 on Steyr QD mounts & backup iron sights.
            3. An Ithaca 37 shorty riot gun
            4. A Glock 26
            5. A side by side .375 H&H double, made by H&H.
            6. A side by side 16 gauge double, made by Boss.

Comment

• Originally posted by leib10 View Post
              A brief synopsis:

4 Mausers (2 Waffenamt marked 98k's, a VZ-24, and a Turkish M1938)
              2 Mosin Nagants (M1930 and M1938)
              Lee-Enfield #4 .303
              Springfield Armory 1911 in .45
              Walther P-1
              DPMS M-4 Carbine
              Ruger P-whatever in .40 S&W
              Romanian SAR-1 (AK-47)
              Bulgarian AK-74 (full auto)
              HK-91 (G3)
              S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum
              Colt Python .357
              SKS
              Ruger Mk II
              Ruger 10/22 with the MG-42 dress-up kit
              American Eagle Luger in .30 Luger

And a multitude of various bolt action rifles and shotguns. About 50 in all.

I can see the guy at the ammo counter filling your order........"OK, now that was two boxes of what.....wait a second, I thought I just got the .30 cal....STOP!!! Its too much!":)) :)) :))

Comment

• Whats fun is asking for about 4 different types of 30 cal in the same order though a couple of my guns can cross chamber safely(though that is sigle hand feed they won't magizine feed that way) a lever action 30-30 a bolt action 30-06 that is some mid-century knockoff of the springifeld 1906 If I wanted to hand load in 30-30 rounds it could fire them safely without difficulty though accuracy and long term gun life would suffer same with 7.62 x 39. Not sure about gun pressures but once again if I really wanted to I could probably fire 7.62 nato though it in fact since I have some lying about I might try seeing if I can magizine load that since size wise it looks as though it might work. I have been told that I can safely fire 30-03 through it though I have never personally encountered any of this ammo.

Some day I want to get a dragunov or something else chambered in 7.62 R so I can just walk up to the ocunter and say I want a box of everything you have with either .30 or 7.62 on it just to see if I can get ammo for everything at a well stocked store. Sadly mass retailers are only carrying 7.62 x 39 and either 7.62 nato or .30-06 in my area its fairly rare for most of them to even have .30 30's any more. (K-mart does walmart doesn't Gander mountain does other sporting goods stores that offer ammo don't tis odd. ) Actually I wonder if anyone owns a collection capable of properly firing every major 30 cal round.

Comment

• Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                  Some parts of the country are still free....mostly. Around here we have a lot of tailing piles leftover from lead and zinc mining about a hundred years ago. The local term is "chats" or "chatpiles" We usually shoot there and kinda think of it as putting some of the lead back. About the hunting, if you don't mind my asking? I don't think I ever met anyone who shoots and feels that way. I know people who shoot and don't care to hunt and hunters who only bow hunt and occasionaly, hate guns. If you don't like shooting paper, what do you shoot?

I'm seriously not trying to argue a point or trying to change the way you feel, just genuinely curious.

I will add that I think the majority of hunting shows give a bad impression (literally cruel) of hunting and I can't even say how I feel about canned hunts. Nothing I have ever shot went one more step and We always eat whatever I kill and you will not find one "trophy" on my wall. Quick is humane in my opinion. I would hope to recieve the same consideration.
                  Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those touchie-feelie, organic-eating, San Francisco tree-huggers. I'll kill anything that threatens my life in a heart beat. I have no problems eating animals. I just don't like to kill for no good reason other than my own amusement.

As for targets, I do shoot at paper if I want to see how accurate I am or a gun is. But for entertainment, nothing beats reducing a big screen TV into pulp with a few boxes of 12ga. bird shots. :))
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                    I just don't like to kill for no good reason other than my own amusement.
                    can't argue with that.

.[/QUOTE] But for entertainment, nothing beats reducing a big screen TV into pulp with a few boxes of 12ga. bird shots. :))[/QUOTE]

Can't find anything on? Watch this!:))

Comment

• Gunnut, From my experience Vegas is running head long to be just like California. You may want to stay out of the entire county. The rest of Nevada however, seems normal and is open to the idea of a law abiding person who owns firearms.
                      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

• I am partial to getting even with PC's on the range( I would never shoot a Mac), but I hate having to clean up afterwards. Lately I have taken a shine to those orange engineered seismic boxes filled with water. They can be seen from hundreds of yards away(swinging from a tree) and the clean up is a breeze. Shooting 12 gauge shells with a .22 or air rifle is a hoot. There is no mistaking a bulls eye.
                        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

• None and never will. Those who live by the sword etc etc

Comment

• And those who "beat their swords into plowshares" usually end up plowing for those who don't.
                            "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." - Emiliano Zapata

Comment

• Originally posted by Kalvan View Post
                              And those who "beat their swords into plowshares" usually end up plowing for those who don't.
                              HAHAHA!!! How very true! Good one!

Comment

• ................... and not in the slightest bit original. Its the age old excuse for "rights to bear arms" of Americans. In an ideal world there is no need to bear arms. Most Americans appear to like meat they killed themselves anyway. So, Has Ronald MacDonald been shot yet? ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X