No announcement yet.

The OICW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe my information is old but i thought the US Army killed that version of the OICW.

Last I heard the XM-8 and FN SCAR were short term possibilities, with the long term ones still unknown.
    Rule 303

Comment

I'm not sure about killed entirely, but I do know that the SCAR is likely to go to special forces, and the XM8 to regulars. I wouldn't be surprised if the OICW is issued on at least a very limited scale to very select troops.
      "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

They broke it in two the XM8 was the KE part and they have the Grenade Launcher reworked in 25-mm as the XM25 which is weird sense there Already is a M25 weapon system A variation of the M21 sniper Rifle.
        Pic Key
        Picture one is may or may not be a mocked up of the XM25
        Picture two is a Drawing of the XM25
        Picture three is the M25 sniper rifle Used by Socom?
        Attached Files

Comment

The OICW prototype is just an ongoing R&D program now.

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
            The thing is just too damned heavy and expensive to be practical for wide-spread issue. Maybe to special forces, but that's it.
            Globalsecurity.org says the xm29 will be fielded to 1 out of 9 Marines. The rest will get the xm8.

Comment

Originally posted by sniperdude411
              Globalsecurity.org says the xm29 will be fielded to 1 out of 9 Marines. The rest will get the xm8.
              Global Security needs to Update a bit.
              but that sounds right It could act as a Squad Support Weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran empire
                Global Security needs to Update a bit.
                but that sounds right It could act as a Squad Support Weapon.
                If it ever does get fielded you'd proably see one or two per squad replacing the M4/M203 combo now found in each fire team. That's if the weight and reliability issues can be solved and the cost can be kept from skyrocketing.

Comment

I wonder why it'd replace the m4/203 combo.
                  and the xm29 isn't just a really cool grenade launcher; it's going to replace the current land warrior system.

Comment

I wonder why it'd replace the m4/203 combo.
                    and the xm29 isn't just a really cool grenade launcher; it's going to replace the current land warrior system.
                    correction It is (or was) Part of the next land warrior yet is is just a weapon's system like any other. the optics and control systems are meant to interface with Land warrior systems.

Comment

Again, we must think 10 years ahead of us. You'd think the m4/203 will still be in service?
                      I don't think there will be another land warrior system. They are very rare and are issued only to those who need them.

Comment

Again, we must think 10 years ahead of us. You'd think the m4/203 will still be in service?
                        I don't think there will be another land warrior system. They are very rare and are issued only to those who need them.
                        Land warrior systems are Still under Evaluation in 10 years No doubt the Evaluation will be over. in 10 years GPS, inter-squad communications, And video systems will be cheaper, lighter in weight and More Rugged (just look at cell phones 10 years ago a cell phone was a rare sight it had a tiny black and gray 11 digit LCD display and was the size of a mans Shoe (" Hello 99"). yet today a cell phone half the size of a ladies compact featuring a Full color high resolution displays, wireless internet, Video games, Personal Organization built in MP3 and Digital Cameras are common place walk Down a Street in any town in most countries it's a safe bet some one will be on a cell phone) . I think Land warrior type systems will be in wide use. what is in doubt is the XM29 Right now the only Prototype versions are the XM8 and the XM25. The Xm8 ( who's fate seems to be in doubt ) Already has a M203 replacement the XM320.

Comment

The xm8 is on hold because the army is waiting for competition. It still is much better than others in the competition (so far). The xm25 is more of an R&D program right now (no need to lug around an attached assault rifle when you're only testing a grenade launcher) than the xm29.
                          But still nobody really knows what will happen in 10 years. Maybe the xm29 will be outdated in 10 years. Again, noboy knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X