No announcement yet.

USS Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Battleship Texas Foundation is a very small organization. Maybe it's time to admit the problem is too big for them to tackle and bring in help. No disrespect to the BTF but this is a huge undertaking and the Texas appears to be headed to the point of no return.

I had to chuckle when the linked article mentioned the Texas contaminating the Houston Ship Channel. Anyone from Texas would laugh too.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmorPiercing88 View Post
      I believe in fact Wisconsin and Iowa are required to keep the hulls in such a state that the vessels could be returned to service in an emergency, as unlikely as that is.
      You are correct. There are still Naval restrictions on those two ships. You can read them in detail in REVISION "B", Chapter 34 of my book.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

On the Texas, would it help them if they removed some of the machinery in the main spaces to relieve the weight on the hull and frames? Not dispose of it, maybe it could be displayed ashore. My understanding is that part of the problem is the weight of the machinery on the century old structure.

Comment

Hi Rusty. Big fan. In fact I just ordered your book! It's arriving on Monday (Revision B). I thought I recall you mentioning on these boards that all reactivation-related requirements had since been lifted on the Iowas, or were you only referring to the New Jersey and Missouri? On that note, wouldn't those requirements have ended in 2009 when Va took possession of the Wisconsin?

Thanks for being a great resource on these boards. I'm going on a cruise next week, and I can't wait to read your book out on the high seas.

Comment

A few years ago the Legislature appropriated the funds to dry-dock the Texas but those funds ended up being used for repairs. Seems they just need to suck it up and spend the money needed to get the ship out of the water once and for all. I get angry that things like feral cats receive more money and attention in Texas than the historic ship. Really, no attention is paid to it except when something goes wrong and then it's quickly forgotten. Government funding is hard to come by in Texas but there is plenty of private money available if they can present a cogent plan and most importantly publicize it statewide and nationally. End rant.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmorPiercing88 View Post
              Hi Rusty. Big fan. In fact I just ordered your book! It's arriving on Monday (Revision B). I thought I recall you mentioning on these boards that all reactivation-related requirements had since been lifted on the Iowas, or were you only referring to the New Jersey and Missouri? On that note, wouldn't those requirements have ended in 2009 when Va took possession of the Wisconsin?

Thanks for being a great resource on these boards. I'm going on a cruise next week, and I can't wait to read your book out on the high seas.
              Since I'm still alive for the next few months, I'm still in contact with the rest of the founding members of the Pacific Battleship Center and those restrictions apparently have not been lifted yet.

On another note (of restrictions) when LBNSY was being put up for closure and paved over for a container terminal, Congress passed a use restriction saying that any area that used to be DOD property shall never lease out any space to the China Ocean Shipping Company (COSCO). When the Port of Long Beach opened up their 214 acre "Parking Lot", their main customer was Hanjin.

Hanjin went bankrupt. Guess who is parking their containers there now?

Yup! COSCO. To hell with legal restrictions, just make money.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Historic USS Texas Turned Over to Foundation for Maintenance & Operation

Beginning August 1, the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department has passed operational control of the Battleship Texas to the nonprofit Battleship Texas Foundation. The foundation signed a 99-year lease according to a press release from the organization.

The battleship has not been open to the public since August of 2019 in order to prepare the ship for transportation to a shipyard where it will undergo extensive repair work. The ship won’t be moved for months still.

The ship will begin moving in November or December to arrive at an unknown shipyard in January or February. The shipyard will work on the ship for around a year.

Rumors place the unidentified shipyard in Louisiana.

Once the work is completed and the Texas travels back to its home dock, it is expected to re-open for public viewing. The foundation is aiming for the first quarter of 2022 for the re-opening but no official date has been set.

Once it is re-opened to the public, the foundation will operate the ship and keep constant maintenance and preservation efforts going. The foundation will also be responsible for new experiences and programs related to the battleship.

The foundation and the department reached an understanding in 2019 which makes the foundation responsible for maintaining the ship on behalf of the department and the state of Texas.

Battleship Texas is the last remaining battleship to have participated in both World War I and World War II. Link

"Standing down and standing by sir"~ Proud Boys 30 September 2020

“Trump basically said to go fuck them up...This makes me so happy.” Joe Biggs, a leader of the Proud Boys 30 September 2020

Comment

If true about being brought to a yard in Louisiana then they are going to bring her out into the open in deeper waters with her hull? Stay tuned with further info below that I just saw. Goal is to replace entire hull below the waterline...

https://battleshiptexas.org/battleship-updates/

Comment

The foam is an interesting solution. Did they go with the foam/tow idea because the hull couldn't be supported out of the water on a Heavy Lift Ship? If the goal is to replace the entire hull below the waterline that reinforces how fragile she is.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2012/0...mpossibly.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOKA_Vanguard

Still, just to be safe, there are backup plans if the worst happens:

https://mythbusters.fandom.com/wiki/...g_Salvage_Myth

https://www.jiskha.com/questions/616...43-kg-which-is

Ultimately, will there be any lessons learned to use on the USS Olympia? The biggest lesson being finding a funding stream.

Comment

I just realized I had a very tangential relationship with the USS Texas....VERY.

I went to a Catholic military prep school in Washington DC for High School.

Our Commandant of Cadets was a retired Field Artillery Colonel. I was serious about going to West Point and thought about FA as a branch. So I would spend free time with me and tell me war stories.

I remember him talking about being a forward observer at Cherbourg and calling in fire from the USS Texas.

Small world.

And I went to West Virginia so you figure out which West I went to....
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        I just realized I had a very tangential relationship with the USS Texas....VERY.

I went to a Catholic military prep school in Washington DC for High School.

Our Commandant of Cadets was a retired Field Artillery Colonel. I was serious about going to West Point and thought about FA as a branch. So I would spend free time with me and tell me war stories.

I remember him talking about being a forward observer at Cherbourg and calling in fire from the USS Texas.

Small world.

And I went to West Virginia so you figure out which West I went to....
                        Then your former Commandant was likely in this picture somewhere. Note the huge splash from a German 240mm gun....

Click image for larger version

Name:	USS_Texas-11.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	1479214
                        "Proud Boys - Stand back and stand by" ~ President Donald J Trump 30 September 2020

"Standing down and standing by sir"~ Proud Boys 30 September 2020

“Trump basically said to go fuck them up...This makes me so happy.” Joe Biggs, a leader of the Proud Boys 30 September 2020

Comment

Originally posted by looking4NSFS View Post
                          The foam is an interesting solution. Did they go with the foam/tow idea because the hull couldn't be supported out of the water on a Heavy Lift Ship? If the goal is to replace the entire hull below the waterline that reinforces how fragile she is.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2012/0...mpossibly.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOKA_Vanguard

Still, just to be safe, there are backup plans if the worst happens:

https://mythbusters.fandom.com/wiki/...g_Salvage_Myth

https://www.jiskha.com/questions/616...43-kg-which-is

Ultimately, will there be any lessons learned to use on the USS Olympia? The biggest lesson being finding a funding stream.
                          From what I recall reading the Texas has some extremely heavy triple expansion engines sitting on the hull bottom unlike BBs of newer years with a multiple bottom and the Texas needs it replaced.

Comment

Working...
                          X