Operation Tirpitz Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Tirpitz Watch

I'm too swamped to do much PC research (wife is still recovering from spinal surgery and has had nightmares of extra terrestrials though she is not a fan of sci-fi).

I know the Iowa's first mission was to join in "Tirpitz Watch" along with the South Dakota (already famous for shooting down 26 Japanese airplanes) to help keep the German Battleship Tirpitz bottled up in Norway to give the British enough time to build their midget submarines to cripple the ship.

But I need to know what other ships were also involved for a special dedication ceremony we are planning.

Can't tell you more than that as dates are still iffy. Just need the names of the ships.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
    Last edited by RustyBattleship; 23 Apr 13,, 18:12.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    I'm too swamped to do much PC research (wife is still recovering from spinal surgery and has had nightmares of extra terrestrials though she is not a fan of sci-fi).

I know the Iowa's first mission was to join in "Tirpitz Watch" along with the South Dakota (already famous for shooting down 26 Japanese airplanes) to help keep the German Battleship Tirpitz bottled up in Norway to give the British enough time to build their midget submarines to cripple the ship.

But I need to know what other ships were also involved for a special dedication ceremony we are planning.

Can't tell you more than that as dates are still iffy. Just need the names of the ships.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

A good sight for timeframe...
    USS Iowa History - World War II
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Rusty, doing some surfing tonight for you.

As best as I can tell: South Dakota was on Tirpitz Watch along with Alabama and Tuscaloosa from May 43. SoDak's Wiki says she left Norfolk on 21 August, 1943, and headed to Fiji. Doesn't say when she left Newfoundland and Tirpitz watch, but Iowa's info says she left for Tirpitz Watch on August 27, 1943.

So it doesn't look like they were there together. Having difficulty getting anymore details at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
        Rusty, doing some surfing tonight for you.

As best as I can tell: South Dakota was on Tirpitz Watch along with Alabama and Tuscaloosa from May 43. SoDak's Wiki says she left Norfolk on 21 August, 1943, and headed to Fiji. Doesn't say when she left Newfoundland and Tirpitz watch, but Iowa's info says she left for Tirpitz Watch on August 27, 1943.

So it doesn't look like they were there together. Having difficulty getting anymore details at the moment.
        Thanks. It makes sense that the "Watch" would not be a full fleet of ships to show up for only a couple of weeks, but a steady rotation of our fast classes of Battleships over time along with the British fleet would certainly keep the German Admiralty from considering a confrontation.

Oh, I also found a notation that the carrier USS Ranger (CV-4) was also on Tirpitz watch. Have to double check that. Would also like to know if the HMS Rodney was also on that watch as she was in battle with Bismarck two years before that.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

For Rodney's operational history, it seems she and KGV were deployed once when Tirpitz was thought to be at sea. (she wasn't) And then she sailed with a convoy as a deterrent to Tirpitz. (Convoy JW 60)

Didn't find anything about her specifically being on the Tirpitz Watch.

Comment

Hi Dick,
            Although it did not list the ships on rotation, this .pdf from Navsource I think you will find interesting on the Iowa.

http://navsource.org/archives/01/pdf/0161011.pdf

I also know someone (a close friend of the family) who was aboard as a young Marine during this time period. We dont see one another very often but the next time I see this gentlemen I could ask and perhaps stir his memory. He still seems pretty sharp and we have talked about such things before.
            Last edited by Dreadnought; 24 Apr 13,, 23:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
              Hi Dick,
              Although it did not list the ships on rotation, this .pdf from Navsource I think you will find interesting on the Iowa.

http://navsource.org/archives/01/pdf/0161011.pdf

I also know someone (a close friend of the family) who was aboard as a young Marine during this time period. We dont see one another very often but the next time I see this gentlemen I could ask and perhaps stir his memory. He still seems pretty sharp and we have talked about such things before.
              Hi Rusty, I had dinner with this gentlemen and his wife earlier this week. After dinner, over coffee I found out that he was not aboard during this time period of Tirpitz watch. What was also made clear is that most of his company (MARDET) almost never saw the main deck or above levels. And when they did, the MARDET had to keep to certain restrictions aboard the Iowa. In other words all aboard had a "containment area" of sort. His particular space was 5 decks below in both the Engineering depts and Magazine level (GQ) of turret 3 as a sentry. He would also crawl down shaft alley with the navy black gangs as they oiled all of the gravity fed oil cups on the shafts and greased bearings once so many hours. That ofcoarse was unless the Admiral was aboard, then they would rotate his companies position with main deck sentry duties. His dates aboard was between mid-late 1945-1947.
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 21 Jun 13,, 16:15.

Comment

Working...
              X