Battleship 16" Turrets inside color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battleship 16" Turrets inside color

I have a question about the inside color of the inside of the 16" turrents on Battleships. On the museum ships I have seen (Massachusetts & Texas) they are painted in a silver color. On the Iowa BBs they are painted mainly white.

I know this is probably a mute question but I am curious. Thanks!

Well, white would be an opaque color, this helps spread light around pretty easily where as the others that are grey perhaps maybe not in their budget and doing the best they can with what they have.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

They are painted white on the inside, including inside the turret foundation and all the way down to the powder handling rooms. I think it's only a flat white but in some places (in other parts of ships of all kinds) a satin white has been used.

In WW II, the exterior platforms sticking out from upper decks over a bulkhead were painted a satin white (some a semi-gloss) on their undersides to reduce the shadow effect during hazy days. Worked just as well and was a lot cheaper than the infamous counter-lighting of the infamous "Philadelphia Experiment".
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

The other reason for painting the interiors white, POL leaks will be spotted earlier. They can be fixed before they become a major roblem

Comment

Seems the inside of the North Carolina's turrets are silver, also. I'll take note of that next time I'm down there.

Comment

Save you a trip...Looks like a 2-tone job in the NC.

Attached Files
            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

I seem to remember Alabama being silver as well. Texas definately is.
              Could it possibly be a "mothball" paint? Nereus was the same silver, when mothballed, but on the exterior.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
                I seem to remember Alabama being silver as well. Texas definately is.
                Could it possibly be a "mothball" paint? Nereus was the same silver, when mothballed, but on the exterior.
                Yes, she was the only "silver" ship out there. However, I saw the silver color on many an older boiler room.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                  Save you a trip...Looks like a 2-tone job in the NC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29715[/ATTACH]
                  Heck, I see 4 different colors there.

Comment

*Correction

Thats an interior of a "mount" not a turret. Thats a 5"/38 interior.;)

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                      *Correction

Thats an interior of a "mount" not a turret. Thats a 5"/38 interior.;)
                      You're absolutely right. Shows what happens when an airdale jumps into a BB thread. I copied the wrong photo.

I think this is the right one.

Attached Files
                      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Yep, mostly silver. Thought that's what I remembered.

Comment

IMO, Surplus paint. Somebody had a "run" on it which probably worked very well with their budgets.

Comment

What the inside should look like.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Amazing those shots are that good as I didn't think it possible to even hold a camera with the guns firing...;)

Do you have sound to go with them?
                              Last edited by tbm3fan; 07 Aug 12,, 05:54.

Comment

Working...
                              X