Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am using weld root back up rings ("sleeve" inside the main tube). But the main vertical "tube" of the mast is 36-inches in outside diameter made of rolled 3/4-inch thick HY-80 armor plate. Welding procedures must be within Navy welding specifications. Therefore the bevels and root landing have to be ground down nice and shiney. To protect the edges from rusting over again before installation I need to coat them in "egg keep" which is easily pulled off just before setting the sections in place.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Rusty, I have a question:

Before the Vallejo group got rejected by SF, their website had mentioned the potential use of the Iowa as an emergency command center in the event of a natural disaster. At the time I thought it was a good idea, since short of the Bay Bridge falling on her, she would be unaffected by an earthquake.

But after reading what you and others have mention about what the Navy says what can and cannot be done to museum ships, was using Iowa as a command center even possible?

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayGhost1975 View Post
        Rusty, I have a question:

Before the Vallejo group got rejected by SF, their website had mentioned the potential use of the Iowa as an emergency command center in the event of a natural disaster. At the time I thought it was a good idea, since short of the Bay Bridge falling on her, she would be unaffected by an earthquake.

But after reading what you and others have mention about what the Navy says what can and cannot be done to museum ships, was using Iowa as a command center even possible?
        Most definitely. I have already drawn up a possible layout of the armored communications center on main deck to show what can be done. But it would have to be at the expense of the City/County/State as it would serve THEIR purpose and not ours.

Also we are keeping all living quarters as clean as possible if survivors of an Earthquake need temporary shelter. Our Medical spaces would also be ready for reactivation. That is all allowed by the Navy. The Midway has already set aside such disaster assistance.

Comment

• Give me about a year to finish grad school, and I will take a week off work to scrap paint where ever you need me!!!

Comment

• Most definitely. I have already drawn up a possible layout of the armored communications center on main deck to show what can be done. But it would have to be at the expense of the City/County/State as it would serve THEIR purpose and not ours.

Also we are keeping all living quarters as clean as possible if survivors of an Earthquake need temporary shelter. Our Medical spaces would also be ready for reactivation. That is all allowed by the Navy. The Midway has already set aside such disaster assistance.
            Just out of curiosity, does that permission extend to keeping the ship's power plant at the ready to provide electrical power in case of emergency?
            sigpic

Comment

• This is the structure lying on Iowas stern in the video. Minus the SP radar ofcoarse.
              Attached Files
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• And this is where all those pieces of mast are on the helo deck.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Nice view of it on this youtube video as she emerges from under the bridge!

Comment

• Just FYI. The same video was posted in posts #114 and #122 on this thread. The video in #173 is by a different person but they must have been right next to each other recording the Iowa.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                      Just FYI. The same video was posted in posts #114 and #122 on this thread. The video in #173 is by a different person but they must have been right next to each other recording the Iowa.
                      The video where the camera is directly over the centerline of the ship was shot by Bob Riha Jr. of USA TODAY. His father and I worked together at LBNSY and I was very fortunate in having him along.

Comment

• It's such a great view-not often you see such a close-up view of the top of battleship.

When you guys move her to San Pedro, if I can get off work that day, I will spend the ENTIRE day on the Golden Gate Bridge if necessary to get some pictures!

Comment

• This is the USA TODAY video that just came out today:

Videos: News, Sports, Entertainment, Technology & More - USATODAY.com

Comment

• BB61Vet asked: Just out of curiosity, does that permission extend to keeping the ship's power plant at the ready to provide electrical power in case of emergency?

In a way, yes. Technically, we are to keep all the ship's machinery preserved and maintained (when necessary) so it can be reactivated if necessary. Generally, that means if the ship is to be reactivated and put back into service. However, turning the machinery back on for use in emergency situations would be allowed within certain parameters.

For example, we will be using shore power to activate all the lighting in the ship and even the machines in the work shops (if we need to use them) through the main switchboards on the 3rd deck. If shore power is lost, there are ways to turn on the ship's own power generators. But that's a little too much detail to go into at this time with the exception that we may install our own diesel generator someplace on the ship. Using the ships' generators are a little more complicated.

Comment

• Yes, quite complicated, and it'd be impossible to parallel them to shorepower if in any condition other than total blackout. Not going to use the EDG's already aboard? they were in excellent operating condition (preserved) when I departed E-div.

[edit]
                              When you guys move her to San Pedro, if I can get off work that day, I will spend the ENTIRE day on the Golden Gate Bridge if necessary to get some pictures!
                              I say we do a gunnery ex on the bridge before we pass it. Maybe that'll shut up SanFran's moronic politicians. While we're at it, we should do a 16" pracfire on city hall...

[/edit]
                              Last edited by BB61Vet; 05 Nov 11,, 00:48. Reason: sarcasm. pure sarcasm. I hate San Francisco!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Rusty, for the USA Today video your link takes you to the most recent video that USA posts.

This link will take you directly to the video you are referring to.
                                USS IOWA begins journey home to Los Angeles - USATODAY.com Video

Richard Kent tentatively mentioned in another video that family members of those killed in turret 2 will be able to go into the turret. Is there any noticeable damage due to the explosion to the interior of the turret?

For the teak deck refurbishment, will the existing teak need to be removed and replaced? Or is there a way to resurface the teak? When I volunteered to help on the NJ, I had to carry teak planks down to the machine shop. That was a hot sweaty thing to do during the summer with no AC!

Comment

Working...
                                X