Battleship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Bought the movie when it came out. Watched the special features, and it has one titled "VIP tour of USS Missouri". Pretty cool, goes through some different places on the ship and in most, they had someone who served there to tell about it.

The engine rooms were hosted by a guy who says he was Chief Engineer in the late 80's, I guess. Don't remember the time frame if he said it.

What I do remember is his speed claim: He said while the ships were rated at 33 knots, they actually did 38 knots in trials after reactivation, and claims there was even more left!
    That's sad - "experts" making claims like that. They could do just over 35 knots - in trials with a light load.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
      First cool night in the Midwest over the weekend and managed to nest on the sofa after a pleasant day winterizing stuff.
      Netflix offered a movie called "American Battleship". Offered a senario with the IOWA being retired from service but a mission unknowingly awaited her service after the Enterprise fleet was sunk by aliens...... :confu:

Special effects rated - very poor
      Story line rated - OMG who writes this stuff
      Film footage of the IOWA with hull number "63" - Priceless
      This let's you know that it was a cool night in Missouri
      Saw the trailer...dear god, I can't believe that movie was made.
      A great post in the comments section: "how to make a movie with 35 dollars"
      “Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.”
      ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
        That's sad - "experts" making claims like that. They could do just over 35 knots - in trials with a light load.
        well, when I was stationed on my 1st ship, the USS Essex LHD-2, powered by two steam turbines rated at 35,000 hp each her rated flank speed was 23 knots. Well, I KNOW for a fact that was quite a bit slower than what she could sustain, much less go for a maximum speed. We did 26 knots for 24 hours to rescue a Sailor on the USS La Jolla that had some type of medical emergency. For flank speed, right after PSA (Post Shakedown Availability) where Rusty fixed her elevators at Long Beach Naval Shipyard, we were making revolutions for 29 knots and making 28 knots through the water..

Comment

Came across this on youtube....& Aside from the horrilbe (ish) quality of this scene/ it being mirrored: I think some of you might enjoy this (Plus i think this clip was mentioned somewhere on here before ;) )

Comment

Originally posted by qaz14595 View Post
            Came across this on youtube....& Aside from the horrilbe (ish) quality of this scene/ it being mirrored: I think some of you might enjoy this (Plus i think this clip was mentioned somewhere on here before ;)
            As long as you're willing to forget literally everything you know about naval matters...that is by far the best reason to watch that movie.
            “Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.”
            ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Ohhhh but that knowledge is still around in many ages, colors, sizes and attitudes.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

The Flank Speed in Pearl Harbor cracked me up. The ship would run hard aground before they could go anywhere...

Comment

When the burner was lit in the boiler I was amazed at how quickly the pressure came up. The sound of machinery spinning up (forced draft blower?) was also amusing. When that first boiler is lit off its actually rather quiet down there.
                  Haven't seen the movie yet but I did promise my friend that I will keep my mouth shut, unless she asks a question.

Comment

Smart move....

Comment

Lack of reality wasn't the point- the point was after everyone I've ever met that worked on a museum ship, everyone I read on this board and endless conversations with my former shipmates, seeing the way the docents and crew members on the Missouri came out of the woodwork ready to bring the ship back to life struck a chord with me. Dumb story or not, realistic in its portrayal of how the ships work or not- who hasn't thought about bringing their old ship back for one last cruise?

Comment

The boilers would not come up to steam that quickly from a cold light off. It takes several hours to raise steam from being cold and all during this time you are treating water for the boilers make up etc and all systems and piping that needs warming first or things tend to break if they are cold. The light off torch etc is correct though although minus the safety shroud..

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                          Lack of reality wasn't the point- the point was after everyone I've ever met that worked on a museum ship, everyone I read on this board and endless conversations with my former shipmates, seeing the way the docents and crew members on the Missouri came out of the woodwork ready to bring the ship back to life struck a chord with me. Dumb story or not, realistic in its portrayal of how the ships work or not- who hasn't thought about bringing their old ship back for one last cruise?
                          I have to say, that was some damn good film making right there. The engineering guy ticking off all the problems with using the Missouri, including his lack of manpower...and the camera keeps cutting to the former crew, silently standing like ghosts, just waiting for the characters to catch up with the audience.
                          ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
                            The Flank Speed in Pearl Harbor cracked me up. The ship would run hard aground before they could go anywhere...
                            I liked that scene also. Little ambitious since they were still at the pier. I can only remember watching one ship leaving the pier without assistance of tugs.

Comment

Well, I can recall reading about the Iowa under Capt Smedberg during machinery trials tearing around Alcatraz Island (San Fransico Bay) and the Golden Gate Bridge twice with all of the fast moving currents at 20+knots.

Grant it that Pearl Harbor is more shallower but does not see the currents that the Bay does.
                              Last edited by Dreadnought; 24 Oct 12,, 22:54.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
                                An interesting thought though, Nevada sortied as fast as she could to escape the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor with alot more obsticles namely, the other moored ships that morning and the dredge.

Although, Missouri would never achieve flank speed that quickly, the distance around Ford Island could be navigated rather quickly until the turn at Hospital Point.

A map to show Nevada's location.
                                map of pearl harbor

A map to show Missouri's location:
                                Pearl Harbor Maps, Location, Honolulu, Hawaii

Pure science fiction I know but just a thought.
                                Last edited by Dreadnought; 25 Oct 12,, 23:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X